Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hannibal Rising" Teaser Trailer

Click here to check out the teaser for MGM and The Weinstein Company's horror prequel "Hannibal Rising", the fourth installment in the Hannibal Lecter franchise. The film opens February 9, 2007 and the book is in stores now.

Re: "Hannibal Rising" Teaser Trailer

Talk about beating a dead horse. jeesh.

Comment

Wow....that's lame. I hope it bombs terribly.

Comment

Originally posted by crustygibblet
        Come on. It's Anthony Hopkins' defining role.

He rocks as Hannibal.

I've enjoyed all of them...except for Red Dragon, which was way weak.

But Hopkins is getting older so he may not come off as great anymore...
        Umm hate to break it to ya but I don't think Anthony Hopkins is in this one. This is Hannibal growing up.

Why such animosity towards the film? Thomas Harris wrote a new Hannibal book so it was obviously going to be turned into a film. Is this animosity directed at Hollywood for adapting it or at Thomas Harris for writing the book? I, for one, am eager to read the book... though not so sure about a Hannibal film without Hopkins.

Comment

I'm more excited about Sweeney Todd than this.

I enjoy cannibalism movies, but I'm a wee bit tired of Hannibal Lector. These sequels and prequels do make me appreciate Silence of the Lambs even more.
          sigpic

Comment

Why the animosity?

'Cause it's tired. I love it when they drag a character back out to "explore" their history some more.

and by love I do mean despise. I feel it robs the characters of what made them cool. Why is Hannibal so urbane yet a viscious killer?

You don't know, and that's what made him scary.

Keep dragging the monster out into the light and he'll cease to be scary.

I like my monsters scary.

Comment

I love Darth Vader as a character, but if they milked him like they do Hannibal I'd probably grow sick of him too. And no, Annakin doesn't count because for two movies he suck bad and for the third he only spends a grand total of two scenes as Vader.

Comment

Originally posted by whistlelock View Post
                Why the animosity?

'Cause it's tired. I love it when they drag a character back out to "explore" their history some more.

and by love I do mean despise. I feel it robs the characters of what made them cool. Why is Hannibal so urbane yet a viscious killer?

I agree over 99%.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny Wayne View Post
                  I love Darth Vader as a character, but if they milked him like they do Hannibal I'd probably grow sick of him too. And no, Annakin doesn't count because for two movies he suck bad and for the third he only spends a grand total of two scenes as Vader.
                  Well, I look at it from the novelist's perspective. It's his world and he's writing the characters within his world and developing them. I love Hannibal Lecter so I don't mind another book about him. I think it's easier to grow sick of characters when you see them on the big screen than it is when reading them in novels. Movies tend to have a gimmicky, money-grubbing quality to them. Novels seem to be more artistic in intent.

A similar situation occurs with Tom Clancy. Tom Clancy has written a crapload of novels featuring Jack Ryan, yet only 4 movies have been made about the character. Would you consider the fifth one being made next year (Without Remorse) "lame"? (I personally, couldn't really care less about the films, I prefer the books.)

Hence why I asked, is the animosity towards HW for making the film, or Thomas Harris for writing the book? You can't really draw a comparison with Darth Vader as the character wasn't created in a novel but, rather, on the screen.

Originally posted by whistlelock View Post
                  Why the animosity?

So is your gripe with the story surrounding Lecter this time? Would you be more inclined to accept the book/film if it *didn't* deal with his origin?

Going back to Star Wars, did you have any animosity towards the prequels (before seeing them) because they dealt with the origin of Darth Vader? If not, what's the difference then?

(I know it was Jimny who brought up Star Wars but it's a darn good example of going back to an "origin" story).

Comment

What's with the growling... lol
                    www.one.org

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post

So is your gripe with the story surrounding Lecter this time? Would you be more inclined to accept the book/film if it *didn't* deal with his origin?

Going back to Star Wars, did you have any animosity towards the prequels (before seeing them) because they dealt with the origin of Darth Vader? If not, what's the difference then?

Yes, I have the same gripe with the prequels. They deMystify a monster.

Vader was scary. He was directly responsible for the death of the Jedi- supposedly his friends and peers. He set out to corrupt or murder his own son.

But then he became a whinny little b!tch that was pouty because he couldn't openly nail the hot senator/queen from Naboo.

Totally unscary.

And what will happen with Hannibal? What will they explain away? What terribliness will they shed light on?

When you shed light on the monster, it turns out he was just some crazy that like beans, wine from a box, and human liver.

Keep the monster in the shadow, prowling just at the edge of the camp fire ready to snatch up any who foolishly walk too far away from the light.

And do not ever explain why.

Comment

All valid points. I guess it's just a matter of preference. Personally, I love Lecter and wouldn't mind knowing how he became "The Cannibal" (also, Lecter's past seems like a b!tch to tackle, so I'm curious to see how Harris pulled it off).

I already bought the book and will probably read it over the holidays. I'll report on it after I'm done.

Comment

See I don't mind extra books being written, I just think that with movies things can become excessive fast.

And my problem with Star Wars and the Whole Anakin thing is that it got off to a TERRIBLE start by casting Jake Lloyd as Anakkin. I honestly expected a much darker trilogy in the prequels and I was HOPING for a time with LESS technology, not more. Also the CGI was so excessive that it prevented me from really getting emotionally attached to the movies. The original Star Wars trilogy is like steak and potatoes. It's filling and satisfying. The new trilogy is like cake. It looks good on the outside and tastes pretty good going down, but if you eat too much of it it'll make you sick.

Comment

Aaron Thomas plays a youngster Hannibal Lecter and Gaspard Ulliel plays a young adult Hannibal Lecter in the movie. As this is a prequel, Anthony Hopkins does not appear in the film although there were rumors earlier this year that Sir Hopkins was going to provide some kind of narration/voice-over work.

Comment

Anthony Hopkins is a class act.

They must have completed filming already, but if his age had been held against him, it would have been a perfect oppportunity for a voice over.

Comment

Working...
                              X