Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sideways (Revisited)

After multiple viewings, I've noticed some things about this film that I didn't notice the first time.

I know that some people have a hard time with the fact that Miles took money from his mother. This didn't bother me personally. In fact, I liked his character more because of it for the simple fact that it made him seem real. The writer didn't think about whether or not the character would lose sympathy from the audience for doing such a thing.

Anyway, it made me think about what kind of a relationship he and his mother have. At one point during their chat over dinner, the mother asks him when he's going to get remarried and Miles says, "I just got divorced, Phyllis."

The fact that he calls his mother by her first name suggests that their relationship isn't the best but she still cares for him anyway and on some level, he does for her. I think him taking the money is all a game to them both. She knows he does it but doesn't call him on it, instead she asks him if he needs money.

Another little something that I noticed about the movie was Jack's speech at the end. He breaks down in front of Miles, telling him he can't live without Christine. Miles sees how much she means to him and decides to help.

But is Jack being real here or is he just "acting" for Miles...because after all, Jack is an actor. I never thought about it before but it almost seems plausible once you consider who Jack is.

Thoughts on these two points or any others from the movie?

Re: Sideways (Revisited)

Both are really good points that I never considered. Not sure about Jack. I always wondered about Miles and his mother. Any chance that he's adopted? Would that mean anything for the story?

Ele...

Comment

My only thought is: God, I really despised this movie. I think I'm the only person who hated it, but I did. I just hated it.
      "Boobsie is Tassle. Exotic dancer, exotic private investigator. Icy Stoli cranberry gives her the superhuman ability to project her voice to deadly decibel levels." -- StrayGatsby

Comment

I find almost all people who work in the arts really like this film, because they all have a lot of the tendancies Miles has. An intellectual superiority complex, a frustration at finding it hard to connect, and all are burdoned by the fact that no one really "gets them".
        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

The "act" at the end was apparent to me from the very first time I saw this.

The mother-son relationship I accepted on face value and wasn't surprise that he'd say he didn't need money and then take it. He doesn't want his mother to see him as more of a loser than she already does and he certainly doesn't want to accept money in front of Jack. But he needs it so he takes it. The "Phyllis" thing only adds to his sense of alienation from everyone.

Loved this movie the first time and like it more each time I see it.
          http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

I remember feeling that Jack thing was his only genuine moment. As if the "act" was all of the skirt chasing and smooth talk he gave Miles. But at the end of all this, he needed real love as much as Miles. And when that was finally threatened, he showed his true colors.

Ele...

Comment

Working...
            X