The Ten Commandments (1923 Cecille B. Demille Version)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten Commandments (1923 Cecille B. Demille Version)

So I just received The Ten Commandments 50th Anniversary DVD yesterday and I didn't even realize that there WAS a 1923 version (also by Cecille B. Demille) until I got it. Well I watched it last night and I must say, it was among the most interesting and engaging silent films I've ever seen. They also did a remarkable job on the restoration.

What's unique about this version is it begins with the stoy of the exodus, which by the way has some truly epic and truly remarkable shots, and then half way through it shifts to the 1920's and shows how the ten commandments were equally applicable in that day and age as they were when they were written.

Now there are a few inadvertant laughs here but I think it adds to the charm of the film. For one thing, Moses looks completely psychotic. For another, the mother once the film shifts to the 20's is the typical legalistic Christian while the bad son kind of reminds me of Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow (you'll have to see it to understand why). Also, some of the dialogue cards are hilarious. "That's bunk mother!" for instance.

Anyway, has anyone else seen this version? If you haven't, I'd definatley recommend at least trying to rent it if you can. I loved this movie!

Re: The Ten Commandments (1923 Cecille B. Demille Version)

How's the guy who plays the Pharaoh? Because Yul Brenner had to have been the best Pharaoh, ever.
    sigpic
    "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
    that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
    -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Yul Brynner is Ramses. Close thread.

A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
      Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
      Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Yeah the guy who played Pharaoh had nothing on Yul. Still though, for a silent, he was entertaining to watch.

Comment

Moses probably did look like a psychotic to a lot of people back in the day. Stuttering about how a burning bush told him to free his people? Then I guess the plagues he kept ranting about started to hit, and he looked slightly less crazy.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
          It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
          -- Potter Stewart

Comment

As always Haunted, your wisdom and incite have opened new windows into my innermost spiritual being. Truly you are a titan among men.

Comment

I sense unwarranted sarcasm, perhaps brought on by a tendency to see attacks on one's religion where they do not exist.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.

Comment

Damn right!

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny Wayne View Post
                    No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.
                    I tell you, Jimny. You got to stop watching American Beauty.
                    A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                    Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                    Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Sorry, I can't help it. The poetry of plastic bags blowing in the wind really captures the wayward heart of....ahh hell, who am I kidding? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

Comment

It was rumoured that a studio was going to remake the Ten Commandments but nobody could remember what they were.
                        Ron Aberdeen
                        http://www.ronaberdeen.com/
                        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3609083/

Comment

Haha! Not bad, not bad. Seriously though, I don't think it'd be possible to do a movie like that nowadays. The only actor I can possibly imagine as Moses is Tom Hanks and I can't think of anyone who could play Pharoah (I know someone is thinking Ben Kingsly...no, no, no, no and no).

Comment

Working...
                          X