• OzFade
    replied
    Re: The Number 23

Comedy ain't a genre anymore?

Leave a comment:

• j over
    replied

It's a pity Jim Carrey's first real genre credit turned out to be such a mystifyingly-convoluted mess.

Leave a comment:

• OzFade
    replied

Although I'd imagine reading the script would probably be like having your teeth pulled out due to the constant time-frame switches and fantasy character switched.
    Yah...it is!

Leave a comment:

• EJ Pennypacker
    replied

I haven't read the script, but I saw the film last night. Although I'd imagine reading the script would probably be like having your teeth pulled out due to the constant time-frame switches and fantasy character switched.

But overall, a weird interesting film IMO.

EJ

Leave a comment:

• darrylyo
    replied

Script-wise, everyone involved (except Joel, Brooklyn, and Fernley) seemed to know they had a serious mess on their hands.

And not one of these three are humble, I assure you.

Ps--hats off to Jim. The guy's a trooper, a force of nature, who will do anything to try to save the day on a project

Leave a comment:

• MacG
    replied

Originally posted by rockridesva View Post
    Just an opinion, but this script was GOD AWFUL!!!!! Seriously, one of the worst I'd ever read.
    Works out nicely, then, that the movie was one of the worst I'd seen....

Man, this was just all kinds of awful. It's too bad Schumacher seems like such a nice, humble person 'cause he makes some of the crappiest films every now and then.

If you avoided this in theaters, save yourself the time and money and avoid on DVD.

Leave a comment:

• JayKid
    replied

Originally posted by OzFade View Post
    The biggest missed oppurtunities are all the fun 23 stuff they could do.

For one the trailer should have ended on :23 seconds...and I scoured page 23 of the script and came up broke.

Fools
    Never thought about that, they coulda done something clever like that. Like how in the trailer they had a message with every 23rd word. Why not do that at the very least on page 23? Or maybe do that on every 23rd page and have some crazy message. I would do it... it'd be fun, even if only a few people knew about it, lol.

Leave a comment:

• OzFade
    replied

The biggest missed oppurtunities are all the fun 23 stuff they could do.

For one the trailer should have ended on :23 seconds...and I scoured page 23 of the script and came up broke.

Fools

Leave a comment:

• kreati0n
    replied

If Dr Pepper doesn't do anything with this one, it'll be the biggest missed opportunity in product placement history.

Leave a comment:

• ihavebiglips
    replied

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
    Darn. From the title I thought it was the long awaited Michael Jordan biopic.
    The one starring Jaleel White as Jordan?

Leave a comment:

• roscoegino
    replied

Darn. From the title I thought it was the long awaited Michael Jordan biopic.

Leave a comment:

• darrylyo
    replied

interesting side note...

for his huge pipeline, this is Brooklyn Weaver's first project to hit the screen.

Having been around the project, you are right about the script concerns.

Leave a comment:

• OzFade
    replied

I second the views of rocks and J to a degree. The script I read (not dated so I pray that it is an early draft) starts off well.

In fact the first act is the best part of the script and the rest pales in comparison. I had to force myself to finish it…which is never a good sign.

One thing that threw me off though was how some things were meant to be filmed...in the first 30 pages the writer uses a particular "style" for different flashbacks (one is meant to be washed out like a poloroid, another bright and luminious, another noir and another made up of still frames) yet doesn't continue this trend throughout (and trust me there are a TON of flashbacks! It got a little confusing).

Also one character, Fingerling (the character from the Number 23 book) is first introduced as a children's macabre drawing...yet the writer doesn't say whether this look continues for the rest of the script or that particular introduction scene.

All in all there is great potential in there…it just needs work. A lot of work.

Also did anyone else feel that Walter reads exactly like Joel from Eternal Sunshine (mainly at the start)??

Leave a comment:

• Pull Back Reveal
    replied

Originally posted by J off course View Post
    Lots of movie titles coming out with just numbers. What's that one
    with Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack (love Cusack) but
    the preview looked a bit lame.
    1408 ... posted by your "j" counterpart.

Friend's script in development has had to change its title because it's too reminiscent of NUMBER 23 ...

Leave a comment:

• OzFade
    replied

I'll have to get around to reading this one day and then I'll pass the mighty judgement stick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X