From Sugarland Express to Munich -- What Happened?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Sugarland Express to Munich -- What Happened?

Thought I'd make it part of a series.
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: From Sugarland Express to Munich -- What Happened?

Spielberg is one of my favorite filmmakers but yeah his earlier stuff has much more appeal to me than the more recent films. I think he got mechanical. Early on I think that tinge of uncertainty about his own abilities caused him to excel but once he was hailed by many as "the greatest of all time" then his mind just coasted. For one thing, newer Spielberg films (with the exception of Catch Me if you Can which I really enjoyed) aren't nearly as much fun as his older films. They're exceptionally well made but they're....lifeless. The only heart I can find is a poor imitation of one long lost.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, he's the greatest auteur of all time.

No complaints here.

Comment

I don't know what it is about this guy, but excellent as his films are I just have no interest in seeing any of them more than once. The guy makes technichally brilliant films and most of them are solid, but at the end I always seem to shrug. I watch them, I enjoy them and then I usually forget them. They do not stay with me the way films from other directors do and I have never been able to figure out why.

Apart from the Indiana Jones films and Jaws I do not think there is a single Spielberg film that I have seen more than once. I have also never seen E.T, Close Encounters or A.I at all.
        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I think he's proof that a talented director still needs a good script.

And, the Duke is right - he's gotten too serious... and less inventive.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Maybe if the question was .. From Sugarland Express to Hook and Always ...

I'll agree, War of the Worlds was bloated and had some tripod-sized holes. But Munich? Really? I can understand those who dispute the film's politics, but it's a stunning piece of filmmaking. I can see a clear, zig-zagging line from Sugarland to Jaws to Encounters to Raiders to E.T. to Crusade to Jurassic to Schindler's to Private Ryan to the Tom Hanks ones to Munich. Honestly, I don't think it's anything like Lucas's spiral.

Comment

I nominate Ron Howard to be next.

Comment

From Splash and Night Shift to Cinderella Man and Beautiful Mind - what happened to Ron howard's sense of humor.

Comment

It's been a long time since "Happy Days", brother.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

From Deputy Fife to Professor Langdon ... wha' happened?

Comment

Can we at least start with Howard's first feature - GRAND THEFT AUTO?

And, what happened to Michael Bay? I mean, he was once a serious film maker and now....
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

And, what happened to Michael Bay? I mean, he was once a serious film maker and now....
                        When was Michael Bay ever a serious filmmaker? When he did Bad Boys?
                        "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
                          But Munich? Really? I can understand those who dispute the film's politics, but it's a stunning piece of filmmaking.
                          Do you imagine botched hostage rescues as you fvck your wife?
                          http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

My wife? No.

Some other guys wife? yeah, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

Don't blame me - Sugarland Express wasn't Spielberg's first, either.

Comment

Working...
                              X