From Godfather to Godfather III -- What happened?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Godfather to Godfather III -- What happened?

The first was among the best movies I've ever seen.

The third was bloated, self-important, humorless, and slow.

I guess the story is the same: a talented guy begins to believe his own hype, and starts to coast on his reputation.

So here's a question. Who didn't this happen to?

Scorcese?
    Hitchcock?
    Kurosawa?

Chuck Jones?

Re: From Godfather to Godfather III -- What happened?

I don't remember any Kurosawa movies I didn't like.
    A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
    Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
    Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Sergio Leone was always consistant. Although he didn't make that many films.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Kurosawa was constantly battling against perception that he was an American director in a Japanese body. For a while he couldn't even get his film projects financed in Japan, which explains the existence of the Best Foreign Film Oscar winning Soviet Union production, Dersu Uzala. While some of his later films may not stand up to his earlier masterpieces, it was likely due to old age moreso than resting on his laurels.
        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Capra?

Comment

Isn't this about Coppola?
            "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
            -Maya Angelou

Comment

I love every Kubrick movie.

Godfather 3 was nothing but a paycheck for all those involved. Nothing more.

Coppola in the 70's was godlike. Coppola any other time was a snooze.

Comment

Originally posted by Architeuthis Dux View Post
                I guess the story is the same: a talented guy begins to believe his own hype, and starts to coast on his reputation.

So here's a question. Who didn't this happen to?

Comment

Lumet's last great film was The Verdict in 1982. Everything since then is nowhere near the same level of quality as 12 Angry Men, Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon. Not even close. He went WAY downhill in the past 20+ years, so he most definitely qualifies for the "what happened?" group.

The Coen Bros. have also been suffering a decline in film quality ever since O Brother, Where Art Thou?. Nothing after that is even worth seeing. I hope they make a comeback with No Country For Old Men and/or Hail Caesar.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                    Lumet's last great film was The Verdict in 1982. Everything since then is nowhere near the same level of quality as 12 Angry Men, Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon. Not even close. He went WAY downhill in the past 20+ years, so he most definitely qualifies for the "what happened?" group.
                    Yeah, you're right, his movies since THE VERDICT haven't been classics (though I'd argue FIND ME GUILTY was as good as the near-misses during his heyday, and RUNNING ON EMPTY had some magic). But remember, he turned 60 the year after THE VERDICT -- he'd already had a full career's worth of great films -- it was 25 years after 12 ANGRY MEN, and you left out PAWNBROKER, LONG DAY'S JOURNEY, FAIL-SAFE and NETWORK. Hardly a case of early success going to his head -- more like Billy Wilder, he was an old man and he couldn't get the kind of work he deserved. I'll be there for BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
                      Yeah, you're right, his movies since THE VERDICT haven't been classics (though I'd argue FIND ME GUILTY was as good as the near-misses during his heyday, and RUNNING ON EMPTY had some magic). But remember, he turned 60 the year after THE VERDICT -- he'd already had a full career's worth of great films -- it was 25 years after 12 ANGRY MEN, and you left out PAWNBROKER, LONG DAY'S JOURNEY, FAIL-SAFE and NETWORK. Hardly a case of early success going to his head -- more like Billy Wilder, he was an old man and he couldn't get the kind of work he deserved. I'll be there for BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD.
                      The Pawnbroker is vastly underrated.

I'll check out BTDKYD but really fro Phillip Seymour Hoffman and not for Lumet.

Old age or ego, Lumet's movies have more or less sucked after The Verdict.

Comment

Working...
                      X