• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 12 Movies That Were Ahead Of Their Time

Here's the impressive list:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/02/...of-their-time/

Re: Top 12 Movies That Were Ahead Of Their Time

I love that Office Space was on that list. Comedy so rarely gets any props except - you know - on comedy lists.

Comment

The Matrix needs to be a little higher. Otherwise, I pretty much agree. I think Independence Day could take Starship Troopers' spot, though. It came out a year earlier and had some crazy well done effects.
      My God, it's full of stars!

Comment

No Ice Pirates or Buckaroo Bonzai? WTF?!

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
          No Ice Pirates or Buckaroo Bonzai? WTF?!

I agree with Buckaroo Bonzai

and I'd add Ghostbusters.

Comment

Throughout the article, the writer is obviously concentrating on ground-breaking CGI, visual effects, mood, and tone, then he totally breaks off and selects...

Office Space?

Neat movie, but WTF?

Anyone ever hear of Blade Runner? Alien?

Comment

Originally posted by vmf View Post
              Throughout the article, the writer is obviously concentrating on ground-breaking CGI, visual effects, mood, and tone, then he totally breaks off and selects...

Office Space?

Neat movie, but WTF?

Anyone ever hear of Blade Runner? Alien?
              The author says that Office Space was ahead of its time. How can comedy be ahead of its time? It didn't succeed at the box office because no one thought it would be any good, not because people didn't "get the humor."

Comment

Do you know what a relief it is NOT to see Citizen Kane on that list? I mean yeah it's a good and well made flick but all you ever hear is Citizen Kane Citizen Kane Citizen.... *bugs bunny voice* shhhhhhaaaaddddup.

It's the most overhyped film in the history of cinema in no small part due to film schools.

Comment

What about M?

(note the avatar )

Before I saw that movie I never could have conceived of that subject matter being covered back in the day. Granted, it wasn't an American film, but still...

Comment

I thought Terminator was a bit ahead of it's time. The idea...not so much the FX.
                    Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

This list is fairly irrelevant and doesn't play by it's own rules of focusing on technical/visual elements when it includes films like WarGames and Office Space. If you are going to open it up like that, there's no excuse for Network not to be on the list, except that the sci-fi nerds who compiled this list probably haven't seen it.

And The Matrix is ahead of its time because, what, it was the first American film to rip off what Asian action films had been doing for years?

Comment

So many people ignored Sin City. Obnoxious.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                          So many people ignored Sin City. Obnoxious.
                          Probably because it's difficult to judge what can be labeled "ahead of their time" until you get a few more years down the road.

This film's fairly recent, isn't it?
                          Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

Yeah, the list is a bit confused. Frankly a list of groundbreaking SFX movies is pretty boring. We get it. On the other hand I like the idea of a list of films where the CONTENT was ahead of its time.

For example...

Up until Office Space, the "workplace comedy" inevitably culmiated in the hero not only beating the boss, but taking over the company and becoming the boss (see The Secret of My Success, 9 to 5, Working Girl, etc etc.) Office Space was one of the first comedies to suggest that the way to beat the boss is to walk away from the whole working world. The system is screwed, get out. It's a fairly antiestablisment message for a goofy studio comedy and its message informs a great number of films since. I'll get hanged for saying this, but Fight Club (which should be on the list) and Office Space are basically saying the exact same thing in a different way. They're about guys who feel disenfranchised from their work/world to the extent that they are pushed to break the law and then realize that the system is so broken that they're best served to just walk away from it.

Or something. i just made all of that up as I was typing it, but it sounds good.

Comment

Metropolis only gets an honorable mention?

Where's the original King Kong? What about Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast (or, as Fortean would no doubt call it, La Belle et la Bete?)

Apparently, all 12 of the most ahead-of-their-time movies ever made were released after 1960.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
                              It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
                              -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Working...
                              X