No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Resident Evil: Extinction" Teaser

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
    Of course most gamers get upset when these things hit the multiplex...which begs the question: who the hell are they making these movies for?
    The non-players or those who know a little about the premise of the game. Of course, in doing so, they will probably try to appeal and get to the occasional players and some of the hardcore ones.
    And end up getting a hard slap up the head for the lack of effort.
    A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
    Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
    Money is better than compliments.

Comment

I just think "Resident Evil" could have been adapted into a potentially very solid film and not a hollow, formulaic piece of mediocrity that ended up hitting screens in what should have been properly called "Resident Cheese".

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
        I just think "Resident Evil" could have been adapted into a potentially very solid film and not a hollow, formulaic piece of mediocrity that ended up hitting screens in what should have been properly called "Resident Cheese".
        That's the thing, man. Video games adaptations never really live up to our hopes. Sure I enjoyed Mortal Kombat, DOOM and Silent Hill...But you do have movies like House Of the Dead, BloodRayne and all the possible WORSE sequels that make us nay-sayers.
        btw, Hitman and Castlevania are in some level of production right now.
        A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
        Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

Originally posted by DMNY View Post
          The non-players or those who know a little about the premise of the game. Of course, in doing so, they will probably try to appeal and get to the occasional players and some of the hardcore ones.
          And end up getting a hard slap up the head for the lack of effort.
          Why would non-players even be tempted to go see a movie based on a video game? I went because I'll go watch any zombie flick that rolls my way.

I suppose that they're banking on the faithful to show up opening weekend, and really don't care about anything after that. I suspect that there's also some cross-marketing going on (shades of the Umbrella Corporation) where they just see it as a way to increase sales of the game, drawing in the randoms that showed up and might have their interest piqued.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

That's the thing, man. Video games adaptations never really live up to our hopes.

Well, on rare occasions they do live up to or, on even rarer occasions, surpass expectations and I think "Resident Evil" was a failed/wasted opportunity. Whether someone is adpating a video game, novel, comic book or some other kind of source material I know it is difficult at best, needless to say.

Comment

Okay, j...why? What (removing the game from the equation) could they have done to make the film a fuller gutcrunching experience?

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Okay, j...why? What (removing the game from the equation) could they have done to make the film a fuller gutcrunching experience?

Strive for actual characters (you know you are in trouble when the games had more three-dimensional roles), don't telegraph suspense, know when to stick to the source material and when to branch out...and for god's sake, try to make it as un-cheesy as possible. That's where I would at least start.

Comment

Well, on rare occasions they do live up to or, on even rarer occasions, surpass expectations and I think "Resident Evil" was a failed/wasted opportunity. Whether someone is adpating a video game, novel, comic book or some other kind of source material I know it is difficult at best, needless to say.
                  I hear you. Sometimes I don't mind the omission so much as the changes.

I'll keep my opinion on the op subject and say it would have been better if they kept the STARS group instead of Alice. Did they have to do it? Could they have done the first one with just Milla playing Jill Valentine? I'm sure they could have. Why did they do differently is beyond me.
                  I just kept reminding myself I was watching an adaptation (loose one but one nonetheless) and I was entertained for that amount of time. Brainless (no pun intended) fun and that's it.

Just my take on this. In this case, I'm not sure what they could have done other than to keep everything intact. Sure, it's going to be tough to compact a whole game into a couple of hours but if all the atmosphere was left in there, it would have been a different movie. Heard Romero did a script based on the game but was refused and got him fired from the project.If anyone took the time to read it and you're a RE gamer, let us know.

Creating Alice to become the main protag in the movie instead of Jill still make no real sense to me. Jill was a well rounded character but then again...Maybe someone got all happy to get Milla?

Changing characters doesn't always come to be a bad thing. Look at what happened in Silent Hill, where the main character was a man and not a woman. She did bring a certain emotion and strength to the film and the videogame character would have felt different if brought on screen. The SH director mentioned he wanted a woman to be the main protag. He focused on a mother's emotion and feel to get her child back. It did work, imho, there.

Again, it did not make any sense in RE. Just thoughts...
                  Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

I'll keep my opinion on the op subject and say it would have been better if they kept the STARS group instead of Alice. Did they have to do it? Could they have done the first one with just Milla playing Jill Valentine? I'm sure they could have. Why did they do differently is beyond me.

Agreed about that.

Here's the Romero draft.

Comment

Agreed about that.
                      Well since we're talking about what could have made the movie better, eh?
                      Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

I read the Romero script, and it would have been an interesting ride. It was more of a Old Dark House script, with hidden passages and the whatnot.

Odd thing is, I also read the original Anderson script, which ends with the male and female characters (I forget who was who, but for some reason I'm recalling the she as Valentine) climb into a battle wagon to head out of Raccoon City...

...which somehow ended up in Romero's Land of the Dead.

Whoops...didn't see your link, j. Saves me from digging around to see if I still have the damned thing...

My YouTube channel.

Comment

One of the original ending was for Alice (not Jill Valentine) to wake up and head to the UMBRELLA CORP to look for Matt.
                          I got to read that Romero's script. Thanks for the link, J.
                          Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

Oh, yeah...Alice. That's probably why they went with her character. Send her down the rabbit hole, and all the other Lewis Carroll allusions Anderson wanted to make.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Oh, yeah...Alice. That's probably why they went with her character. Send her down the rabbithole, and all the other Looking Glass allusions Anderson wanted make.
                              A bad reason when I think about it. A reason nonetheless.
                              It made CAPCOM satisfied... Oh, and I just reminded myself of VanDamme's Street Fighter. ~shivers~
                              Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

Damn...busted in mid edit.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X