Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

    LMS got a consolation prize. Been happening for several years now. "Not quite best picture, but we'll give 'em this little screenwriting prize instead." The other 4 nominees were superior to LMS as films. Can't speak to the scripts as I haven't read any of them. Did you not see Babel, Letters, Pan's Labyrinth, or The Queen, Pencey?
    http://confoundedfilms.com

    http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

      Nailed my predictions (even in most minor categories - even got both fiction short film entries) but missed Best Picture, Best Animated Feature, and Best Foreign Language Film. Weird.
      http://confoundedfilms.com

      http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

        Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
        LMS got a consolation prize. Been happening for several years now. "Not quite best picture, but we'll give 'em this little screenwriting prize instead." The other 4 nominees were superior to LMS as films. Can't speak to the scripts as I haven't read any of them. Did you not see Babel, Letters, Pan's Labyrinth, or The Queen, Pencey?
        No, I didn't see any of them yet. I wanted to see Pan's Labyrinth and Babel. Not sure if I want to see the other two.

        As for the award, it has nothing to do with how good the script was. You think any of those judges read the damn script?? I don't even think they consider the dialogue when judging. If it has a good story and seemed interesting, they'll give it the prize. That would explain them overlooking the fact that each subplot in LMB has no 2nd act.

        But I will agree with you on the consolation prize theory. Frankly, the Oscars mean less and less to me each year as politics seem to play a bigger and bigger part. What they should do is have peers in each category vote on that award. Thus, only writers who are Academy Award judges vote for Best Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay. That way you don't have people who don't know a thing about screenwriting trying to pass judgement on a script.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

          The consolation prize theory is kind of silly. You guys are saying LMS won the screenplay award only because...well, now that I think of it, I'm not even sure what you guys are saying. The voters felt so bad about not giving LMS Best Picture that they gave the screenplay Oscar to a writer they thought didn't deserve it?

          Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
          It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
          -- Potter Stewart

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

            2006. "Little Miss Sunshine" wins Best Original Screenplay.

            2005. "Brokeback Mountain" wins Best Adapted Screenplay.

            2004. "Sideways" wins Best Adapted Screenplay.

            2003. "Lost in Translation" wins Best Original Screenplay.

            All were "little films that could" and got "Best Picture" nominations, but ultimately didn't take home the statue. It's been a trend. I'm not saying the Academy is consciously doing this, but enough voters seem to be using this strategy to make it plausible. It's like they're saying, "this great little movie had the success it had thanks to the script so we'll reward that, but without a bigger budget it just can't compete for the big prize."

            It's not unlike the awards given at Cannes. The Grand Jury almost assures that a single film won't win more than one award. The "best" movie gets the Palm d'Or. The second best gets "best director". The third best gets "best actor", etc. It's gone on that way at Cannes for years. I don't think it's a big stretch to think the Oscars are doing something similar.
            http://confoundedfilms.com

            http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

              I think I've said this before, but the Best Screenplay Oscar is now simply Best Picture, small/indie film category.

              Also, I nailed all the major categories except supporting actor when I made my picks the day the nom's came out (if anyone wants to dig through the archives and check.)


              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                I think it's extremely unlikely that any significant portion of the voters are following some concerted "strategy." I think the simplest, most straightforward explanation is that people actually voted for the nominees they thought were most deserving of each award. And the simplest, most straightforward explanation is virtually always true.

                These voting bloc/concerted strategy conspiracy theories never arise to explain a vote the theorist agrees with; they only crop up when someone disagrees with a vote and doesn't want to accept that most of the voters didn't share his opinion.

                Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
                It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
                -- Potter Stewart

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                  You're no fun.
                  http://confoundedfilms.com

                  http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                    You're not the first person to tell me that.

                    Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
                    It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
                    -- Potter Stewart

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                      I couldn't help thinking when Scorsese was walking up to get his Oscar from Spielberg, Coppola and Lucas ... yeah, it's cool Marty's joining the greats of that generation of Great American Directors ... but yow they also look like three ageing grey angels of Mortality waiting up there for him too. Here's yer statue, Marty, and don't trip as you enter the Tunnel of Light ...

                      Peter O'Toole and Clint Eastwood looked like they're grinning because they ain't going until the Year 3000 ... Jack Nicholson looked like he'd just tore up his contract with the devil, I dunno ...
                      sigpic
                      "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                      that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                      -Mahatma Gandhi.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                        Originally posted by tabula rasa
                        I couldn't help thinking when Scorsese was walking up to get his Oscar from Spielberg, Coppola and Lucas ... yeah, it's cool Marty's joining the greats of that generation of Great American Directors ... but yow they also look like three ageing grey angels of Mortality waiting up there for him too. Here's yer statue, Marty, and don't trip as you enter the Tunnel of Light ...

                        Peter O'Toole and Clint Eastwood looked like they're grinning because they ain't going until the Year 3000 ... Jack Nicholson looked like he'd just tore up his contract with the devil, I dunno ...
                        What a delicious picture, Tabula! I love it!
                        https://actbreakdown.com

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                          Originally posted by haunted View Post
                          These voting bloc/concerted strategy conspiracy theories never arise to explain a vote the theorist agrees with; they only crop up when someone disagrees with a vote and doesn't want to accept that most of the voters didn't share his opinion.
                          From my original vote:

                          Original Screenplay

                          Because Little Miss Sunshine won't win Best Picture, they'll give it this award as compensation.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                            Who's the big winner?


                            Mikey! Mikey's the big winner!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                              Originally posted by Joe Unidos View Post
                              I think I've said this before, but the Best Screenplay Oscar is now simply Best Picture, small/indie film category.

                              Also, I nailed all the major categories except supporting actor when I made my picks the day the nom's came out (if anyone wants to dig through the archives and check.)

                              Though I'm tpoo lazy to look at the archives, I'll give you top prize for your Departed pick alone. I saw the film but didn't see Oscar.
                              "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                              - Screenwriting Friend

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Oscars Tonight! Who are your winners?

                                I think there is a Halo Effect that happens around the Best Original Screenplay.

                                The Halo Effect is where you only see or judge a little part of it and automatically assume the entire thing is "perfect" (this is a psychological term for how we can erroneously prejudge, stereotype and pigeonhole people as individuals or groups).

                                Because most Academy Voters don't sit there and read through the screenplay the ARE going by the dialog, the jokes, the tone, and a lot of things the actual director and film makers brought TO the script more than the script itself and then applying those elements to how they perceive the script to be on paper.

                                This doesn't mean LMS is a bad script (haven't read it; seen the movie).

                                It just means it may not be as good a script as others (nominated and in general) given some of the flaws us writers can easily identify because this is our speciality compared to other aspects of film making.

                                Look at "The Departed". The entire concept is flawed (if you think about it), but again the Halo Effect comes into play and it wins.
                                Positive outcomes. Only.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X