Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why HW may be losing youth market

A topic spin-off from another thread, here's some interesting data that may hold a clue as to why HW could be losing the youth market.

These are exerpts from Create Magazine (advertising industry) from an article written by Martin Lindstrom, author of the book: BRANDchild.

Although this article discusses the topic in terms of marketing & advertising consumer products to kids, I think the info can apply to films.

His data shows kids can simultaneously give their attention to 5.4 channels at the same time -- watch TV, send SMS messages, surf the net, chat on MSN and listen to music all while doing homework.

It seems to me this habit of multi-tasking communications makes them less likely to want to sit in a theatre and ONLY watch one film.

Could it be the traditional theater experience simply bores them?

Add to that, little kids, whom he calls Generation Tomorrow, are getting used to customizing their own products: Build A Bear, and the American Girl Place allow kids to design their own toys down to the last detail.

He comes to the conclusion that as these kids get older they will expect to customize their own brands.

This could explain the popularity of You Tube -- kids spending time making their own mini-movies rather than sitting passively in a theater watching one.

This could indicate a market for interactive films but I'd guess that would render the theater experience obsolete.

All in all I'm wondering if HW is chasing after a youth market that has grown bored with the traditional film experience.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Re: Why HW may be losing youth market

Yeah, this is why nobody saw Pirates II or Night at the Museum.
    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

I'm talking about emerging trends Hairy - if you want to hang your hopes on only two out of a couple hundred films, that's your choice.

Keep in mind that when these kids are sitting in the theatre they're text messaging their friends about the film.

If the film disappoints, the negative word of mouth is already impacting BO before the kid leaves the theater.

Negative word of mouth has always been the strongest marketing nightmare -- advertising gurus have always known this.

These added communication channels simply enables negative word of mouth to spread at an incredibly faster pace.

If you don't think this impacts BO you're dreaming.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

There are only a couple blockbusters a year ... usually marketed to children. The BO for those two big movies last year suggest that Hollywood is not losing the youth market.

You keep drawing wild conclusions from tenuous data. Keep it up. It's amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
          Yeah, this is why nobody saw Pirates II or Night at the Museum.
          not to mention harry potter, spiderman 1/2/3, batman, all the animation flicks that break over $100 million in a few weeks, etc. etc.... kids go back and see that stuff 2 and 3 times.
          "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

Too many cops in theaters and not enough rap music.
            sigpic

Comment

I agree that this trend will only grow longer legs. However, the issue is not HW losing the youth market, it's about exploiting alternative forms of content delivery.
              "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Comment

Rupert Murdoch (FOX) said the future of entertainment -- drawing a crowd for advertising -- is live outcome indeterminate events, in his opinion.

This translates to Sports, Awards Shows, and Reality TV more or less.

While this may or may not apply to TV, I think it supports the theory that people, regardless of age, want a more interactive experience no matter what their entertainment format be it movies, TV, music, etc.

Video games at this point in time in our technological development is the epitome of that interactivity...

And a successful factor of this is the multi-player, customizable online experience be it a MMORPG (Massively Multi-Player Online Role Playing Game) like "World of Warcraft", or even a first person shooter (Quake Wars; Battlefield 2142) where you can choose the look, armor, speed, and weapons of your virtual character and go compete with and against others who have the same customizable options and unlock even more customizations while online during play.

However, the other big factor you have to take into account here is that kids are still kids and by definition their tastes and attention spans are going to be infinitely shorter than a 30 to 40, 50-year old adult.

In other words, as they age they probably will NOT be able to multi-task as much as they did when they were 13 because the focus will be on the quality of their work versus the quantity in my opinion.

It's great if you can deliver three annual reports to the boss by the end of the day... But if they are all full of errors then they need to slow down and concentrate on one of them, get that right, and then move on to the next one and so forth.

I say this because I worked in a company that had to get about 54 reports out at the end of the month and while mine where fine because I only had three or four...

The company had to hire English writing consultants to re-teach everyone else their written English -- And these other employees were native English speakers with MBAs -- Because the actual content of the other reports were so bad (riddled with grammatical and factual errors) it was a potential problem for the company as far as both reputation and income if it got any worse.

Like I said, the quality of the work suffered because the emphasis was on the quantity and I believe this becomes more of a factor as these kids grow older and do enter the real work force where texting isn't the measure of how well you can do under pressure so-to-speak.
                Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Hairy:

Then you should find these two articles amusing too.

2005 NY Times article:

In a survey of 2,000 moviegoers by OTX, a Los Angeles-based online research company, men under 25 said they had seen 24 percent fewer movies this summer than they did in the summer of 2003, when the same study was conducted.

Instead, young men ages 13 to 25 reported that they were busy surfing the Web, instant-messaging with friends and playing video games on consoles like PlayStation 2 and Xbox.
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/08/movies/MoviesFeatures/08audi.html?ex=1286424000&en=9fc1efd95253d81f&ei=5 088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Jan 2, 2007 article Hollywood Reporter:

Annual analysis: Looking back at 2006, it's hard not to call it anything but the tough year it was for Hollywood.

Although grosses for '06 topped $9 billion versus $8.7 billion in '05 and admissions rose by around 3%, it wasn't a robust enough recovery to provide any real cheer for the industry. ...

... Instead of being innovative in developing new ways to market its product, Hollywood continued to support the broadcast television networks by plowing most of its movie advertising dollars into 30-second network spots.

This makes increasingly less sense because not only are the networks' audience shares declining, but young people -- who make up the biggest portion of the moviegoing audience -- are watching less network TV these days. Instead, they're spending more of their free time in front of computer screens watching and posting material on sites like YouTube and MySpace.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/features/columns/e3i0c0342d71c020e7346244e23e5c40df9

-------------------------

If hollywood has to hang it's collective hat on only franchise films like Potter and Spiderman, or animated films (which may have already peaked) I'd say this is a problem.

Comment

Your simplistic view of what Hollywood does as if it's some giant organism without diverse strategies and goals is what's amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                      His data shows kids can simultaneously give their attention to 5.4 channels at the same time -- watch TV, send SMS messages, surf the net, chat on MSN and listen to music all while doing homework.
                      I would just love to meet the 4-armed mutants who can do all these things "simultaneously".

Seriously. What human can punch out text messages, use a keyboard to chat, use a mouse to surf, and write/type their homework... all "simultaneously"??

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                        Keep in mind that when these kids are sitting in the theatre they're text messaging their friends about the film.

If the film disappoints, the negative word of mouth is already impacting BO before the kid leaves the theater.

Negative word of mouth has always been the strongest marketing nightmare -- advertising gurus have always known this.

These added communication channels simply enables negative word of mouth to spread at an incredibly faster pace.
                        Don't these added channels also enable positive word of mouth?

I don't know about the whole country, but when I go to the movies, there are ALWAYS tons of kids there from 8 to 18. My own boys and their friends love myspace, youtube, video games and still love seeing movies (and have no trouble sitting through one without spazzing out) - especially, if the theater has an arcade, too. Of course.

I will concede they watch less tv now than they did a few years ago, but they're getting to that social age. Going to a movie is a social event, watching tv generally isn't.
                        Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Hairy - it's not my simplistic view, these are results of studies.

And large comglomerates are famous for being slow to change.

If the industry is so on top of things, how come their strategies are virtually the same in the last 3 years?

Where is all the innovative thinking you allude to?

----

Sara:

All I know is the data I've been reading shows neither 2005 nor 2006 have been able to top the numbers of 2003.

Any business person would call this an erosion of the market -- it's not an outright collapse, but an erosion of numbers is not good.

But I'll search the net for more numbers to to see what's what.

Comment

I wonder if people feel that going to the cinema is a solitary activity?

People do less in groups, these days, many say. As examples of this sort of decline, Church attendance, dwindling membership of Unions and smaller theatre audiences are often quoted.

Comment

It's your interpretation of the numbers and your view of how Hollywood works that is simplistic . A given studio puts their eggs in a bunch of different baskets every year. They don't rely solely on tentpoles or animation or whatever. A diversified portfolio is what they do. Sure, everyone wants to maximize investment and most everyone is more interested in profit than art, but that doesn't mean Hollywood has lost their grip. You really think they aren't aware of the trends and aren't working on strategies to capitalize on them? Why do you think so many Hollywood movies advertise on myspace? Or provide cell phone ringtones?

All we ever hear from you about Hollywood is doom and gloom.

Comment

Working...
                              X