Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Spielberg vs. Scorsese vs. Eastwood

A dozen or so years ago, I would have picked Spielberg as my favorite of the three directors, with Scorsese a close second. But now I would have to pick Eastwood.

Although I love Spielberg and can't deny his greatness, he can certainly be a little too sentimental. Even Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, as great as they were, were a little sappy.

Scorsese is always great when it comes to grit, but his characters aren't that accessible emotionally (at least to me).

I've been blown away by almost everything Eastwood has done over the past decade or so. In my opinion, he strikes just the right balance in terms of tone, and I do care about his characters.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Re: Poll: Spielberg vs. Scorsese vs. Eastwood

I'd take Roman Polanski over any of them. Okay, not really.

My favorite filmmakers right now are Michel Gondry and JP Jeunet.
    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Oh no! Here comes the flood of people to tell you that Spielberg hasn't done a good movie since Jaws. I've been down this road before.

I'll take Spielberg. When he's at his best, there's no one better. And even though not all of his films are perfect, I've never seen a horrible Spielberg film (although, AI came close). Eastwood is excellent, but come on, let's look at the body of work and length of time doing it.

During a ten year run, Spielberg made Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders, ET, and The Color Purple (Temple of Doom was in that same run but can't be counted with the others). Holy s!
      "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Comment

Despite having a good run lately, Eastwood's oeuvre doesn't nearly match Scorsese's or Speilberg's. I mean, in between the unequivocal masterpiece Unforgiven and the highly praised Mystic River, you have a very bumpy road.

Comment

Spielberg made JP2 though, maybe worst movie ever by one of the greats. Just downright unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by TodayIsTomorrow View Post
            Spielberg made JP2 though, maybe worst movie ever by one of the greats. Just downright unwatchable.
            Alright, I agree with that to some extent. But you must understand, CGI dinos are right up my alley, so again, for my taste the movie wasn't a failure.
            "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Comment

Originally posted by TodayIsTomorrow View Post
              JP2 is one of the dumbest movies ever made, and the T-Rex jumping off the boat and rumbling through the streets of San Francisco (or was it San Diego?) has to be the lamest sequence in the history of action films. And that part was all Steve's idea, 100%.

And don't even get me going on Kelly and her dino-head-splitting gymnastics.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
                I'd take Roman Polanski over any of them. Okay, not really.
                Maybe you wouldn't, but few capture tone better. Given more high profile opportunities he'd probably blow those three away.

Not taking anything away from Martin but imagine Taxi Driver directed by Roman. Yeah, you can exhale now.
                "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Spielberg. Think of everything he's done from Duel to Munich.

Polanski is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                    Maybe you wouldn't, but few capture tone better. Given more high profile opportunities he'd probably blow those three away.
                    Completely agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, he hasn't been given the opportunity since, well, you know ...

Comment

Completely agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, he hasn't been given the opportunity since, well, you know ...
                      Hey, he had the chance to make PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN ... not much more high-profile opportunities than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Architeuthis Dux View Post
                        Polanski is overrated.
                        You're daft.

I'll only go with the movies of his I've seen:

A Toothful Smile - his first full short film is the twist gag ending personified.

Break up the Dance - mini-Rebel without a Cause ... possible Polanski borrowed from that classic film, but he was behind the Iron Curtain when he made it.

A Murderer - a short glimpse into the suspense he'd give us later in full measure.

Two Men & A Wardrobe - his surrealist bent appears.

The Lamp - suspense appears again.

When Angels Fall - contemplative character study.

The Fat and The Lean - a surreal comedy.

Mammals - silent surreal treatise on human sociology. His last short film.

Knife in the Water - First feature. A zero budget thriller aboard a sailboat. Extremely well done in black and white. Every bit as suspenseful as Duel.

Repulsion - The ultimate woman gone mad film. In my top 10 all time favorites.

Cul-de-Sac - Quirky, odd comedy thriller in an old musty castle on the ocean. Polanski unveils his very black comedy.

Rosemary's Baby - The penultimate woman gone mad film, only this time she went mad for good reason. A horror classic.

The Tragedy of Macbeth - Who has a better film version of Macbeth? Okay, Kurosawa. Who else?

Chinatown - Best film noir since there was film noir.

The Tenant - The first and only time I've laughed out loud at a suicide. Dark comic masterpiece.

Oops ... statutory rape - fled the country.

Tess - won 3 Oscars.

Frantic - solid European thriller with Harrison Ford and an angelic Emmanuelle Seigner.

Death and the Maiden - single location thriller exploring the after effects of torture.

The Ninth Gate - oops.

The Pianist - movie of the year 2002 even if it didn't win the Oscar.

He might not be Spielberg, but he's a hell of a director. Underrated if anything, because he doesn't work often.

Comment

The Tragedy of Macbeth - Who has a better film version of Macbeth? Okay, Kurosawa. Who else?
                          i prefer orson welles's macbeth to polanski's.
                          "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Repulsion - The ultimate woman gone mad film. In my top 10 all time favorites.
                            I found this movie to be a little grating, but I'll compliment it for one absolutely brilliant moment. When the old guy leans over to pick something up and gets a look at the crazy girl's leg? Never have I seen a scene so abruptly, logically and understatedly turn on a dime. That was a real "wow" moment for me in terms of storytelling.

Comment

Spielberg - Jaws, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, etc.

Scorsese - Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The King of Comedy, Goodfellas, The Departed, etc.

Eastwood - Unforgiven.

Yeah, I'll take them in that order, pretty much.

Comment

Working...
                              X