No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poll: Spielberg vs. Scorsese vs. Eastwood

Originally posted by vmf View Post
    You know a big reason why? The man stays in shape, eats right and doesn't have a lazy bone in his body. As he gets older, he draws on more experience and skill, while not letting his body go to pot and limit what he's trying to do.

Contrast that with the other fat cat directors who have fallen from grace.
    Hmmmm. Who could you be talking about, vmf? I wonder....

Comment

Originally posted by prince pantyhose View Post
      i felt spielberg and zaillian trying to tug at my heartstrings in every scene. it just felt over the top and overly sentimental when it didn't need to be. it was all so heavy handed and obvious, i just didn't respond to it at all. it just felt like the whole point was, "nazis are bad, jews suffered, let's see how hard we can hammer that point home in each scene."
      "Heavy handed and obvious"? Dear God, man, did you actually see MILLION DOLLAR BABY?! The gross characterization of Maggie's family...her death scene? Hell, the whole film could be labeled "heavy handed and obvious."

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
        "Heavy handed and obvious"? Dear God, man, did you actually see MILLION DOLLAR BABY?! The gross characterization of Maggie's family...her death scene? Hell, the whole film could be labeled "heavy handed and obvious."
        Since we've brought it up...

The audience seems to LOVE heavy handed and obvious.
        Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

Paul Haggis won back-to-back screenwriting Oscars, so you're absolutely right.

Comment

i didn't like million dollar baby.

Originally posted by prince pantyhose
            as for eastwood, up until letters from iwo jima i never care for his movies much. unforgiven was boring. mystic river is massively overrated, so is million dollar baby.
            "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Life can be heavy handed and obvious sometimes.

Paul Haggis won back-to-back screenwriting Oscars, so you're absolutely right.
              Actually, he has one naked gold dude to his name (for Crash). But he's been nominated in that area three years in a row. A better feat than winning two in a row IMO.
              "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
              - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                Actually, he has one naked gold dude to his name (for Crash). But he's been nominated in that area three years in a row. A better feat than winning two in a row IMO.
                His distinction is having written back-to-back Best Picture winners. And that's a mighty distinction. I can't stand the guy's writing, but let's keep his plaudits straight.

Comment

Life can be heavy handed and obvious sometimes.
                  Exactly. So let's not take it to 11 (as Nigel Tufnel might say...) when we put it down on paper, nome sayin'?

Comment

It's gnome not nome.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by andlary1 View Post
                      Since we've brought it up...

The audience seems to LOVE heavy handed and obvious.
                      That explains Ron Howard.
                      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Hard to expect anything edgy from a guy America used to call Opie, but yeah.
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

It's gnome not nome.
                          Actually, "nome" is just borderline gibberish for "know what I'm" saying?

Comment

Actually, "nome" is just borderline gibberish for "know what I'm" saying?
                            I know, I know.
                            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                            X