Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Royale

watched Kenta Fukasaku's 'battle royale' last night. Good film, great idea.. i suppose it's 'the running man' meets 'the lord of the flies'.

earlier today i argued with my brother that a remake wouldn't even be considered because i didn't believe the american mainstream market would hack it and that it was too risky an idea.

of course, after researching the title, i now know that a remake is coming in 2008.

what do you guys think.. will this work? will they keep in all the violence?

(don't let this turn into a 'remake' debate please!!! )
    I've played poker long enough to understand odds don't mean sh1t - Seamus Bronzeberg

Re: Battle Royale

I've wondered, and watched for the remake announcement for some time. I felt it was only a matter of time. In my opinion, IF (and that's a big "IF") the remake ever happens, the violence will have to be severly trimmed down, or off screen. YES Battle Royale is violent, but moreso because it's children. I mean, we've seen the same storyline a million times over, this one just happened to be with kids.

But then to debunk everything I just said, while I've yet to see it, I hear Hills Have Eyes 2 is extremely violent. So, I suppose in the end we'll just have to see.

But, with producers Roy Lee and Neal Moritz onboard you have a good mix of the dark and disturbing styles (Lee) and the fast and agressive styles (Moritz), so it could be a very well made film... if it every IS made. Combined those two guys have over 40 credits "In Development".

Comment

There's already a ripoff/remake coming out this year:

The Condemned

Trailer is here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_...econdemned/hd/

Comment

Apart from the violence and extreme subject matter (both of which will be severely toned down) I think a Battle Royale US remake would be extremely tough, just based on how many people have seen the original, or know about it.

I've seen it and talked about it with many people, and I'm pretty NA-centric when it comes to movies, and the flick and its concept are pretty well-known. It's got over 23K votes on IMB, which is extremely high for a foreign movie and is higher than many "big budget" US movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post
          There's already a ripoff/remake coming out this year:

The Condemned
          Man, I wonder what the steroid bill was for that one.

Comment

I doubt very much if this will ever happen. I agree that US audiences probably would be put off slightly. Besides, they have waited waaayyy too long and the hype for Battle Royale is so over and was killed off completely by a very sub par sequal. There was something in the middle called Series 7: The Contenders, which almost no one has ever seen. Worth a look, certainly.
            Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Yep. That trailer Jakkal put up is just the latest in a long line... but that "Series 7" movie, which I regretfully saw in theaters was just flat out BAD.

Comment

Originally posted by bierhound View Post
                what do you guys think.. will this work?
                Probably not. There's something about a group of nerdy Japanese students engaging in over-the-top violence that's entertaining in an absurd way.

Comment

but that "Series 7" movie, which I regretfully saw in theaters was just flat out BAD.

I guess I liked is because I have done studies on the psychology of reality relevision. I honestly think that one day in the future we will see something like that on television, seriously.
                  Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I have no doubt it's not too far off. We have such a fascination with violence. Our favorite part of boxing - the KO, or nascar - the wrecks, or Redsox vs Yankees baseball - the brawls... and so on and so forth.

I say give it ten years we'll have risque, 15 we'll have blood.

Comment

I'm actually sort of surprised that no indie has done a D2DVD knockoff of the film. Hell, set it in a high school and just go ballistic...
                      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Hey, Deathrace 3000 is coming soon!

Comment

obviously Im thinking 'ohoh' at the news of a BR remake..

maybe they'll be surprising and actually use 12 - 14 year old kids
                          and make something of value. But odds are good they'll set things
                          up so that its 'acceptable' to US audiences..
                          (obvious older teens, obvious 'delinquents' etc)

Thank God 'Bad Guy' at least, if not 'Samaria (aka 'Samaritan Girl') are still hopefully too 'immoral' and thus too scary for remaking and dumbing down
                          of characters and plot, to fit within the conservative viewpoint of mainstream US cinema.

Comment

Working...
                          X