Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MPAA Unveils Their "Hard-R"

I think that each theatre seat should holster a .45 automatic. Let's put some good old fashion Darwinism in play.

Seriously-- talkers are my biggest pet peave -- and I certainly ask nicely for them to be quite the first time -- the second time is shut the f up or we take it outside (which always blows my friends away because I'm such a calm guy).

Maybe it's a good thing I don't go to the movies that often --i'm a dvd guy.
    "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by haunted View Post
      Don't go to the movies. This one night, if you're expecting an important call...stay home and watch a DVD. Or go to the park or get tickets for a game, or go to any of a thousand other places where you can take a call without bothering anyone.

Nobody HAS to go to a movie on a given night. Expecting a phone call and seeing a movie in a theater are incompatible activities. If one can't be put off, then the other should be.

That's a difficult situation. When I was a full time IT guy I was on call 24/7/365. There was never a given night where I knew I wouldn't get a call - except when I was on vacation (although I'd still get them anyway...)
      Last edited by warrenP; 03-14-2007, 12:42 PM. Reason: some sort of typo thingy
      Don't repeat it; create it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post
        There are cell phone jammers at supermarkets, why not movie theatres? Have only emergency calls go out.
        Cell phone jammers are illegal in the United States, doesn't matter if it's at the supermarket, opera house, or cinema. The FCC would come down like a ton of brick on a theater that tried it...
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          Cell phone jammers are illegal in the United States, doesn't matter if it's at the supermarket, opera house, or cinema. The FCC would come down like a ton of brick on a theater that tried it...
          Really? Then why the hell does my cell phone signal fade when I go into a supermarket or a walgreens or something? Whatever supermarkets are doing, then, is what theatres should do as well.

Comment

I didn't say that they weren't doing it, I'm just saying that it's against Federal law.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I wonder if the federal law says it's still illegal if you tell people you're jamming cell phones. Like if the theater had a sign at every screening room door that said "As a courtesy to our patrons, mobile phones will not work inside this theater," would it still be illegal? People who didn't want their cell phones jammed could just choose to go to another theater.

Guess it depends on whether the law is against all jamming of cell phone frequencies, or just against doing it without people's knowledge.

You know, nobody has a problem with turning off their cell phones in a hospital, because they might interfere with medical equipment. That's why doctors still use pagers -- they only receive a signal; they don't broadcast. If people can be courteous enough to turn off their phones in a hospital (or on a plane), why can't they do it in a theater? Courtesy is only worthwhile if it's a matter of life or death?

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
              It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
              -- Potter Stewart

Comment

I don't know but it's been one of my pet peeves. Most people will turn off their phones but some believe they are the exception because they're special or something. I'm pretty easy going but when it comes to my movie-going experience, I don't mess around. If someone's ruining it they WILL hear from me. And yes, I would get into a fist-fight over it.

Comment

It's a safety thing... the frequency jamming might interfere with emergency response communications.

You think it's bad in a cinema? Try remembering your lines on stage when some doctor in the third row takes a call from his secretary...

Huh... I just realized: why the hell aren't they using that technology to blanket the area around military vehicles moving through Iraq? From what I recall, most of the roadside bombs are set off by cellphones. Just saying...

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post
                    Really? Then why the hell does my cell phone signal fade when I go into a supermarket or a walgreens or something? Whatever supermarkets are doing, then, is what theatres should do as well.
                    Older buildings or "green buildings" seem to have signal loss issues and not just with cell phones.

You can build your own jammer, it's not hard...Just don't tell the FCC... You can get it down to a pretty manageable size too.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
                      You can build your own jammer, it's not hard...Just don't tell the FCC... You can get it down to a pretty manageable size too.
                      he he he
                      Last edited by Jakkal; 03-14-2007, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I think I saw a DIY jammer that was about the size of a pack of cigarettes. But I'd be afraid of what a jammer that powerful and localized was doing to my chances of having a family and stuff.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
                        It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
                        -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Working...
                        X