No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jennifer Hudson as Aretha Franklin

Originally posted by prince pantyhose View Post
    what are you on about? philip seymour hoffman isn't gay.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
      This may be a bit ignorant of me to say since I haven't seen Dreamgirls, but how much talent does it take to play a black female singer when you ARE a black female singer? Now she's up for this roll where she'd play...you guessed it...
      Yeah, it's a good thing all black female singers are alike, and have no distinguishing personalities of their own. Too bad Angela Bassett already played Tina Turner, or Jennifer Hudson could have played her, too. Oh, well, I guess she'll have to settle for Lena Horne. And on the neighboring screen -- Sean Combs as Johnny Mathis.

Sheesh.

And boski, I can't believe you referred to Ben Kingsley -- Sir Ben Kingsley -- as "what's his name." Oh, the horror.

Back to the Jennifer-as-Aretha question, I'm sort of on the fence about it. I actually thought that in "Dreamgirls," Jennifer was an absolute powerhouse when acting through song, but I felt her other acting was only okay. I didn't think she was bad; I just didn't think that, without the songs, it was a particularly noteworthy performance. But I do think that Jennifer has a certain spark in common with Aretha -- it's significant that Aretha herself has pegged her for the role -- and I can't think of any actress or singer currently working who would do a better job.

Incidentally, I really do wish somebody would do a biopic of Lena Horne. (Johnny Mathis, not so much. On the other hand, hell, why not?)
      The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
        A gay white man won the Oscar for playing a gay white man in "Capote"...so who really knows?

First of all, I didn't know Hoffman was gay.

More importantly, if he were gay, he'd be a white gay actor, playing a white male writer. Theres a slight difference there.

Black female singer playing a black female singer
        white gay(?) actor playing a white gay writer
        Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
        Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Phillip Seymour Hoffman has a girlfriend and two kids, or will have a second soon...I can't remember. I just don't see him as gay.

As for Jennifer Hudson as Aretha...I can see it. I hope she kicks butt in the role as well! Aretha deserves it!

Tom

Comment

By that logic, the best guy to play a black male cop would be a black male cop.

Sorry about that, Denzel, but you're out of a job. We found somebody more qualified.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
            It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
            -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Tomcat1066 View Post
              Phillip Seymour Hoffman has a girlfriend and two kids, or will have a second soon...I can't remember. I just don't see him as gay.
              That or it's a hell of a beard.
              http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                First of all, I didn't know Hoffman was gay.

More importantly, if he were gay, he'd be a white gay actor, playing a white male writer. Theres a slight difference there.

Black female singer playing a black female singer
                white gay(?) actor playing a white gay writer

Ok...ok... How about an old actor like Martin Landau winning the Oscar for playing an old actor...Is that better?

Comment

As a life-long resident of suburban Chicago, i can tell you a lot of us here in Chicago-land are getting a big kick outta Jennifer Hudson's meteoric rise...

So this is cool by us...

And biopics have become the surest bet for Oscar noms & wins; not sure why, but the Academy really seems to love biopic performances.

Just off the top'a my head I can list a bunch of 'em:

Jessica Lange for FRANCES
                  What's his name for GHANDHI
                  Sissy Spacek for COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
                  Jamie Fox for RAY
                  Phillip Hoffman for CAPOTE
                  Reese Witherspon for WALK THE LINE
                  Helen Mirren for THE QUEEN
                  Forrest Whitaker for IDI AMIN (THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND)

... and there's numerous noms in there too...

I think Denzel's been nommed for at least 2 biopics: HURRICANE & MALCOM X

Will Smith's got a nom for ALI

Angela Basset for WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT (Tina Turner)

...and I'm sure I'm missing a lot more...

For some reason, the Academy really gets gooey over biopic performances...

Personally, I like most of the movies, but I think the Academy's by-now predictable response to the performances is a little silly and adolescent...

It's like they get giddy over the fact that an actor can do a great impression of a famous person...
                  Then someone better tell Don Cheadle to start clearing a shelf on his award cabinet...he's going to be doing Miles Davis biopic.
                  "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

Bio pics are interesting. The only thing that makes music bio pics redundant is the whole drug abuse/rebelling against clueless parents angle. That needs to be retired.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I heard about a bio pic of Lena Horne, with Janet Jackson as a prime candidate. But after that "wardrobe malfunction," Horne nixed the idea of Miss Jackson portraying her.
                      Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I don't dislike Janet Jackson, but it'd take somebody with a lot more weight and class to play Lena Horne.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

I heard Alicia Keys was supposed to play her -- even getting the okay from Miss Stormy Weather herself.
                          "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                          -Maya Angelou

Comment

Anybody who gets a mention in a Bob Dylan song is okay by me.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

I'd like to see some interesting people slightly less mainstream get the treatment. Sarah Mclaughlin or Tori Amos maybe.
                              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I think you would find more than a few people willing to argue which "Kate Hudson" is the hot one.

Alicia Keys would probably make a great Lena Horne. But I wonder if the story would be compelling. From the little I know about her biography, sounds a lot like Dorothy Dandridge, which has already been done.

I think the Marvin Gaye biopic with that guy from "Law & Order" might have some interesting moments. After all, how many stars get shot to death by their jealous fathers?

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Working...
                                X