No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept or actor/actress . . .

. . . when you pick a movie to see?

I'm concept! First! All the way! No doubt! In my preferred genres: thrillers and comedies.

I keep reading about how this actor can open this or that actor can open that. Cool, if that's the way it is, that's the way it is. I ain't disputing that, but I don't give a damn who's in the movie when I go pick one to see. I don't care if it's Will Smith, Jack Nicholson, Joe Blow or whoever's the lead!

The thing that does play in my mind with the big names is that they get the best scripts, directors and most money to work with so their stuff should be good. But picking which movies to see first because this or that actor/actress is the lead? No way! Not me!

Just like I believe concept is king when writing a script, concept is also king for me when picking a movie.

I like to get stuff off my chest once in a while.

Thank you.

I love you,

Corona
    I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
    I ain't no punk b1tch...

Re: Concept or actor/actress . . .

PLANET OF THE APES.

Thank you.
    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

That's what I'm talkin' about, Hairy!

Corona
      I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
      I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Character actually interests me more than concept, but that's a personal preference. Interesting characters inside a great concept make the best films. I really don't care who the actors are so long as they are talented enough to deliver the goods.
        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

It totally depends.
          Some movie concepts don't ignite interest without a great actor attached, even if they are good.

At other times, the concept is so stunning, it doesn't matter who's in it -- but that' rare because I'm always conscious that a bad actor CAN fukk up a well-conceived movie.

I've been a Tom Cruise fan since a was a wee girl and All the Right Moves came out in 1983. So, when Top Gun was being advertised and no one wanted to see it, I pushed them because Tom was in it and I had to hear him say "I feel the need for speed."

And wouldn't you know it. That movie became his defining movie and all my friends ended up loving it. He made the concept work.
          I'm not sure anyone else could have made that movie a cult favorite.

Whereas, when it came to seeing Silence of the Lambs or 9 1/2 weeks or Fargo or Dead Poets Society or The Graduate ... it didn't matter who was in it -- the concepts could have stood on their own. Maybe.

Something like HurlyBurly, I didn't care who was in it ... that indie concept made some of the actors (like Meg Ryan) better because of it.
          "The question isn't who will let me, but who is going to stop me?," -- Ayn Rand (via Howard Roark in The Fountainhead)

Comment

It's usually actor/actress/director for me. IMO, it's much more difficult to part with ten bucks on concept alone. Most of those films do better on DVD for that reason.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Any or all of the above really. It's a lot easier to pinpoint aspects that will outright put me off than those that will guaranteee I buy a ticket.
              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I'm more concept driven, though if actors are the deal breaker if there are two concepts I like equally. Not usually an issue though.

Trust me, I didn't go see 300 over Wild Hogs because of Gerard Butler! My wife, on the other hand...

Tom

Comment

I'd go normally for concept but the film will have an additional plus if one of my fav. actress/actor/director is involved.
                  A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                  Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                  Money is better than compliments.

Comment

I'll go see a movie because of a specific director, but I'd rather not recognize the actors in the cast. Once I know the face, the harder it is for me to believe the character.

Especially since as of late, the actors don't even try to be the character.
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                      Especially since as of late, the actors don't even try to be the character.
                      I'd agree but still watch and follow some actors and actresses who are able to invest themselves into making their characters believable. Maybe not a crowd but few enough to keep me smiling. Christian Bale is one of them.
                      Today, I watched (AGAIN) American Psycho, The Machinist and Batman Begins.
                      A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                      Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                      Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Working...
                      X