No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fanboys - The Real Target Audience of Action Hero Movies

Originally posted by boski
    20 million tickets to the movie have been sold in less than 3 weeks. Miller's GN only sold @ 88,000 copies in seven years.
    Using that specious logic, I guess ZERO fanboys went to see Ghost Rider, since I don't believe the character has sold a new comic in a decade.

Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by GKelly View Post
      FANBOYS -- starring Kristen Bell. Coming soon to a theatre near you.

Had to throw that in...
      Actually, when I first clicked the thread I thought it really was an upcoming movie. Plenty to work with there...

But who's Kristen Bell?

Oh, she was in Pulse... no wonder I forgot about her.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I'm sorry. I thought we were talking about movies in general, not The Phantom Menace in particular.

I haven't made a deep study of every aspect of that movie, so I can't really discuss its particulars.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
        It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
        -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Using that specious logic, I guess ZERO fanboys went to see Ghost Rider, since I don't believe the character has sold a new comic in a decade.
          There's nothing specious about boski's logic. He's not saying no comic fans went to see 300 -- I believe he's disputing the assertion that comic fans account for a significant portion of 300's revenues (or the revenues of any comic book movie).

You insist that "fanboys" are a major force in the film business -- that mainstream moviegoers can only make you money, but the fanboys can make you rich.

That just doesn't stand up to any kind of rational examination. There's no way a tiny fraction of the people who see a given movie can account for a significant portion of its revenue.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by haunted View Post
            You insist that "fanboys" are a major force in the film business -- that mainstream moviegoers can only make you money, but the fanboys can make you rich.
            Read much?

I have stated, multiple times, that fanboys are the ones spending money on the movie tie-ins like Star Wars replica lightsabers, LOTR swords, rings and armor, etc., along with the toys, posters, games, action figures, statues and various other collectibles.

That's HUGE bucks - just ask Lucas.

Movies are NOT about just box office, and are multi-tiered products designed to make long-term money on several different levels, which is where addicted fanboys come in, spending every cent on the object of their adulation.

That's what my "fanboys will make you rich" comment referred to.

Comment

Originally posted by boski
              I just think it's a misconception to believe that they're the driving force behind a blockbuster movie's theatrical success.
              But no one besides you is saying that.

My contention has always been that fanboys spend an inordinate amount of money on the very lucrative movie tie-in products, like toys, collectibles, replicas, reproductions, cards, memorabilia, statues, etc. Hook the fanboys to your project and the ancillary money just pours in.

That's what really made Lucas filthy rich.

Comment

Movies are NOT about just box office, and are multi-tiered products designed to make long-term money on several different levels, which is where addicted fanboys come in, spending every cent on the object of their adulation.

That's what my "fanboys will make you rich" comment referred to.
                Okay, so your actual contention is simply that most movies have tie-in revenues similar to the Star Wars and LotR movies.

I don't think that stands up to reason, either.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Coincidentally:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489049/

Comment

I do not see how, following these two paragraphs, anyone could misinterpret my "but fanboys will make you rich" comment.

Originally posted by vmf View Post
                    I know rampant fanboys at work and they haven't picked up a new comic since they were kids, but they still gush over the latest comic book flick, pick up the X-BOX version, buy the toys for their kids, etc. and support the whole frachise... all without buying a new comic since the early-80's. These days, it's NOT just the movie, but an entire web of movie-tie-in games, toys, collectibles, statues, carts, books, etc. that depends on the fanboy dollar.

It was never as bad as during the LOTR phase, which again, you don't have to have bought a copy of the trilogy yesterday to be a fanboy. A friend of mine, think DC on steroids, came over and showed me this LOTR catalogue that had all kinds of rings, swords, collectibles, etc. and the prices were INSANE. He was buying all kinds of junk and was hyped up like a crack addict.

Regular movie-goers pay the bills, but fanboys will make you rich.

Comment

Remember this: "Fanboys like a good story, accurate adaptations, and above all, the flick has to be WAY COOL."

Comment

Working...
                      X