Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ridiculous Physics of Hollywood

Here's an amusing and informative look at many of the sometimes painfully ridiculous clichés of Hollywood in regards to physics and the laws of nature. Amazing how apparently so many people working in the business simply do not care about being plausible when trying to depict reality.

Re: The Ridiculous Physics of Hollywood

If this hyper-nerd made "realistic movies". no one would see them.

Reality is boring.

Comment

Never let reality come in the way of a good visual.

Tom

Comment

Reality schmality

I'd hate to be in a cinema with that guy.
        One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
          Here's an amusing and informative look at many of the sometimes painfully ridiculous clichés of Hollywood in regards to physics and the laws of nature. Amazing how apparently so many people working in the business simply do not care about being plausible when trying to depict reality.
          lol, he gave the Gore movie a PGP-13

PGP-13 = Children under 13 might be tricked into thinking the physics were pretty good; parental guidance is suggested
          The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT View Post
            lol, he gave the Gore movie a PGP-13
            It got a GP-Good Physics

[GP] An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - Al Gore's presentation detailing every aspect of global warming . Comprehensive but no new information.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

damn, he actually reviewed it? woops.
              The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Reminds me of the scene in Thank You For Smoking about smoking in space:

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
                Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
                Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
                Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. "Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever you call it device."
                Don't repeat it; create it.

Comment

Well, in films trying to be realistic, I'd certainly prefer them to actually be...you know, realistic. Guess that's just me, though.

Comment

Originally posted by warrenP View Post
                    Reminds me of the scene in Thank You For Smoking about smoking in space:

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
                    Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
                    Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
                    Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. "Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever you call it device."

Classic.

Comment

If I wanted reality i just go outside and see ti for free, and not pay 10 bucks to sit in a dark room to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by boski
                        That'd be the end of one of my favorite creature comforts: afternoon naps.
                        Don't worry, Grandpa, your naps aren't going anywhere.
                        "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by boski
                          And cinematic space battles would be so quiet and boring without sound.

Cuz, after all, sound doesn't really travel in a vacuum....but...

Can you imagine STAR WARS' climactic battle scene so quiet that you could hear a pin drop?

At least some films like "2001" do portray the physics and reality of space right.

Comment

Obviously, for dramatic purposes you need the spark of ricocheting bullets and the sounds of an explosion in space. But tossing the cigarette in the pool of gasoline to fire it up is just lazy writing. The problem with bad movie physics is that the writer is too damned lazy to do any research... which these days is really lazy considering that Google is only a few taps away from the screenwriting program (of course, it could be some nimrod director going off the page and improving the payoff, but...).

Seriously, some of this stuff drives me nuts. I recently read a script set in the South where a character gets bit by a rattlesnake and dies within thirty seconds... cripes, make it a copperhead or something. Lazy, lazy.
                            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                              Obviously, for dramatic purposes you need the spark of ricocheting bullets and the sounds of an explosion in space.

Silence can be just as dramatic as noise...at least in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X