No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 300?

Originally posted by haunted View Post
    I knew what you Arabic numerals were the ones we've used in the West forever, but I don't think it qualifies as an inside joke, either.
    Whenever I tell someone that we use Arabic numerals, they look either surprised or offended as though I'm saying that The Count from Sesame Street is a terrorist. It's a joke that we see the Arab world as backwards when it is responsible for the basic system we use today to perform mathematical calculations. But you're right, it's not an inside joke in any conventional sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen View Post
      Whenever I tell someone that we use Arabic numerals, they look either surprised or offended as though I'm saying that The Count from Sesame Street is a terrorist. It's a joke that we see the Arab world as backwards when it is responsible for the basic system we use today to perform mathematical calculations.
      Actually, India was responsible for the current numeric system, and it traveled through Asia and the Middle-East, before being picked up by Europeans through the Arabs, hence the misnomer.

So the Arabs are actually not responsible for the numerals we use today - they just happened to pass along the work of India.

Comment

The Europeans adopted the numerals we use today from Persian mathematicians.

Comment

I know I'm right, as I studied quite a bit of math in my life, but you're making me resort to Wiki:

The numerals arose in India between 400 BC and 400 CE.[1][2] They were transmitted first to West Asia, where they find mention in the 9th century, and eventually to Europe in the 10th century.[1] Since knowledge of the numerals reached Europe through the work of Arab mathematicians and astronomers, the numerals came to be called "Arabic numerals."

The Hindu-Arabic numeral system originates from the Hindu numeral system, which is a pure place value system, that requires a zero.[1] Though it is, in actuality, a purely Hindu numeral system, it is known to the Western world as Hindu-Arabic because of its introduction to Europe through the Islamic middle east.

Comment

Originally posted by Republic of Stephen
            Clearly, you don't understand your own post, and makes me wonder if you can make the distinction between flour and bread.
            Man, I love to see nerds squirm when they're wrong.

I thought it was common knowledge that the current numeric system was developed by Hindus in India. But apparently not.

Your statement "The Europeans adopted the numerals we use today from Persian mathematicians." is incorrect, and you know it. They just passed along the Hindu numeral system, which had been invented centuries past.

Comment

Clearly, you don't understand your own posts, and makes me wonder if you can make the distinction between flour and bread.

Comment

Enough of the deluded Arabian fanboy, let's get this back on topic:

I was just gabbing with some friends who also saw the movie, and they too were bothered by the constant SCREAMING of Butler, spouting platitude after platitude, until they lost all meaning. Apparently, I'm not alone in this regard.

One guy said "he sounded like my boss", which is certainly no compliment, and I think it would have worked a lot better to have Butler working his cadence up as the movie (and the threat) increased, rather than starting at screaming and ending at screaming.

Comment

Spartacus was gay?!

Frakkin Arabians!

-Derek

Comment

the number "300" isn't even written in arabic

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...ebrew_etc2.png

Do you think the Persian mathematicians would have had something to say about vmf quoting messages 15 minutes before they are posted? Did the Swiss turn on the Large Hadron Collider this morning?
                    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Enough of the deluded Arabian fanboy, let's get this back on topic:
                      I propose a new statistic be tracked with regard to DoneDeal posts. I call it "Time to Fanboy." It'll track the time that elapses between vmf's first post in a thread and his first use of the word "fanboy" in that thread.

Yes, I realize the number will frequently be 0, but it's still worth studying.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
                      It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
                      -- Potter Stewart

Comment

What can I say, the Done Deal forum attracts fanboys like flies.

Comment

True, but I don't hold it against you any more than I do the others.

You have to admit, you use the word on a level that suggests obsession. If you were a character in a buddy cop movie I was writing, I'd have your partner say to another cop "Don't mind him. His parents were murdered by fanboys."

Just a little back story to help you seem three dimensional.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
                          It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
                          -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT View Post
                            the number "300" isn't even written in arabic
                            Why do you think we use Roman letters but not Roman numbers in everday life? Why are the numbers we use called "Arabic numbers"? (Why is a flat piece of bread called a "burrito" when it's rolled up and filled with rice and beans?)

Well, that's because Europeans saw these clever Persian mathematicians doing some amazing things with numbers like inventing algebra and called the numbers they were drawing Arabic numerals. It makes no difference what the numbers looked like or who drew them first, it's what they did with them. It's no different than watching a Mexican roll up a piece of bread with rice and stuff and calling it a Mexican burrito. Mexican's didn't invent flat bread, it's what they did with it.

Do you think the Persian mathematicians would have had something to say about vmf quoting messages 15 minutes before they are posted?
                            The reason why I deleted and posted the same reply after VMF responded to it because he was just repeating himself.

Did the Swiss turn on the Large Hadron Collider this morning?
                            I don't know what that means.

Comment

Persians aren't Arabs.

I enjoyed the film a lot. It was a visual feast and so heartening that so much was achieved with such a budget.

The physiques were quite amazing. I loved the dramatic postures. One thing I thought they could have worked on more was voice training of the actors.

If you haven't seen this on the big screen yet, I recommend you give it a look.

Comment

Working...
                              X