Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $78 million of red ink?

On an old studio lot outside London, a production crew began work on the movie "Sahara" in November 2003 by staging the crash of a vintage airplane.

But when the film opened in theaters in April 2005, the sequence had been deleted. "In the context of the movie, it didn't work," said director Breck Eisner.

The cost of the 46-second clip: more than $2 million.

An interesting article in the LA Times that gives a detailed account of where the money went on one of the biggest losers in Hollywood history.

Re: $78 million of red ink?

For all its faults, I enjoyed the movie.

And, 10 screenwriters?

Ten screenwriters were paid $3.8 million in fees and bonuses - highlighting the increasingly common practice of hiring and firing numerous writers on big-budget features. David S. Ward, who won an Academy Award for "The Sting," received $500,000.

Comment

What I found interesting is that they cast Cruz because she was Spanish and that qualified the production for an extra 20 mil in bennies... but only paid her half of what they paid marquee magnet Steve Zahn.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

10 screenwriters sounds about normal.

I thought the film was fulled with coincidences that just ruined the story. If Zahn had been a better soccer player, they would never have found the ship they were looking for.

This whole case is just crazy - Cussler is suing! It's just going to backfire on him and make him look bad.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Read about this a while ago, it had so many writers because Cussler thought every screenwriter they brought in was a hack and every screenwriter they brought in agreed Cussler knew nothing about how translating something to film works.

To me, everyone involved seemed like an a-hole so I'm shedding no tears for the mishap.

Comment

Gah! I wish you guys would post links that are actually linkable. It sounds like an interesting article, but seeing as I don't have an account with the LA Times, it's kind of out of my reach.

Comment

Originally posted by TDWoj View Post
              Gah! I wish you guys would post links that are actually linkable. It sounds like an interesting article, but seeing as I don't have an account with the LA Times, it's kind of out of my reach.
              I don't have an account with the LA Times and I just read the whole thing.
              "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Oh, didn't Cussler also go on some insane racist rant when they wanted to cast the sidekick as an African American? There was something about him hating Jews too I think, during the whole Mel Gibson mess it was a side story for like 20 minutes.

Google news doesn't go back to last year which is so lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearded Clam View Post
                  I don't have an account with the LA Times and I just read the whole thing.
                  Try this link

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ck=2&cset=true

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

I'd call the books fair, but I don't know of any good way to translate them to the screen....certainly not on a budget given all the locations, gadgets and action sequences. There really isn't much Theme or development of Character in the books and that shows on screen. All characters are static.

Indiana Jones has similar action sequencing, but the good vs evil is set up better and Indy has some character issues to deal with...the old girlfriend, an overpowering father, etc.

Maybe Cussler's stories are best left to the bookstores.

Let's not forget Raise the Titanic ... certainly a candidate for worst motion picture of all time adapted from a novel.

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian View Post
                      I get "Please register or login".

Ah, well.

Comment

Try this one.

Or this one.

If they don't work then Google “$78 million of red ink?”

Comment

Working...
                        X