Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming of Age films...

I'm starting research for my next script. (It's supposed to help me forget that the keen but not-quite-committed producer looking at it my first script is researching co-funding/investment options as we speak - before next week's do or die meeting. Yikes!)

I want to develop a coming of age story line to see what the treatment would look like, but first I want to spend some time studying good/great - independent, ideally, or not straight teen comedy type - "coming of age" films.

Mind helping me put a list together?

I'm starting with:

The Year My Voice Broke
    Looking for Alibrandi
    Stand By Me
    Almost Famous
    Dead Poets Society
    Reality Bites

Any other ideas?
    Thanks.
    Nicole
    Last edited by nic.h; 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM.
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Re: Coming of Age films...

American Graffiti..?
    Lucas...?

Rushmore
    12 and Holding

"The two things that run Hollywood are fear and greed." - Syd Field

Comment

The Outsiders

Comment

Pretty much any John Hughes movie
        Y tu Mamá También
        Old Yeller
        ...and, uh...Porky's
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Great suggestions, guys.

I think I'm more out of touch with recent ones, though. But again, not the big studio type film. Not Mean Girls or Ten Things... I want the subtler ones. Y Tu is a good example - I hadn't thought of that one.

Thanks. I'm watching 48 Shades at the moment - it's a little clunky but quite sweet.
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

Kids
            Thirteen
            Risky Business
            Fast Times At Ridgemont High
            River's Edge
            ?
            sigpic
            "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
            that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Don't know if you've ever heard of this Canadian film, but I think Nobody Waved Goodbye qualifies as a teenage coming of age film.

Comment

What's Eating Gilbert Grape is mandatory viewing.

Comment

Nice one Bio - loved it when it came out, and am now a diehard Johnny Depp fan. (Who isn't, I ask you?) Definitely a good call.

I'll check out the Canadian one too. The more indie the better... as long as it's good! Mine is definitely low budet, character driven.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                    What's Eating Gilbert Grape is mandatory viewing.
                    Hazard's got that right. And, if they're not out of your range (not recent enough), make sure My Life as a Dog and Cider House Rules are on your list. No one does sensitive adolescence like Lasse Hallstrom.

OK, these are also older, but they're timeless: The Last Picture Show, Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, Breaking Away.

More recent, indie spirit: Billy Elliott, Ma Vie En Rose, Whale Rider, Best of Youth.

Comment

Way off the scale here but you may want to check out The Science of Sleep.

The main character is basically a child trying to live in an adult world.

May not be exactly what you're looking for but still...good film.
                      One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Hard to fiind female lead coming of age - OUR TIME. About first loves and first broken hearts. Pamela Sue Martin was the lead.

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

My Life As a Dog was the first truly independent film I saw as a kid - made me fall in love with film. Hadn't thought of it because the protag is so much younger, but I'll try again. (Oh, and around that time John Irving was my favourite author - I had read every one of his books by the time I got to Cider House Rules. Nice film too.)

Don't know Our Time but sounds like it suits my premise nicely.

Great suggestions, guys. Funny how easy it is to forget films when you're specifically looking for them. If that makes sense...
                          sigpic

Website
                          Tweets
                          Book

Comment

Coming of Age (Quebecois Version)

One of the most successful Canadian films, of late, (a big hit in Quebec): C.R.A.Z.Y.
                            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Coming of Age (Quebecois Version)

C.R.A.Z.Y. is excellent.

You've got a wide range of ages in protags in the suggested films ... from the pre-teens in 12 and Holding and Stand by Me to the college grads in Reality Bites. What age exactly are you looking for?

And I'll throw out Show Me Love, because we can never have enough teen lesbians.
                              http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Working...
                              X