• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformers: review 1

here it starts
    I still think this might be no1 movie this year

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32455

Re: Transformers: review 1

There's a lot of speculation that this review is fake. It doesn't actually tell us anything about the movie that hasn't already been revealed over the course of the movie's production.

But I agree, this movie could be huge.

Spidey 3 has earned back half of it's $300m budget on opening weekend.

Transformers used a budget of $150m, and could potentially be as big, if not bigger, what with the disappointment surrounding Spidey. Although Transformers doesn't have a tightly knit release schedule like spidey. UK release date for TF is 27th July, Over three weeks after it's released in the US. They'll have a huge problem with piracy because of it, and it'll only hurt their box office takings.

That said, the final trailer is being attatched to some of the other big hitters this summer, POTC3, Shrek 3, and to Spidey 3 in its third week, meaning it'll get the advertisement it needs to draw in its target audience.
    d i r g e

Sorsha: "What are you looking at?"
    Madmartigan: "Your leg... I'd like to break it."

Comment

I hear ya

I had to schedule Trans in mid august cause there's no one around in july
      and then there's whole bunch of contenders: Die Hard, Rats, Simpsons...

but this movie might have something spidy doesn't

I saw a lot of footage and this movie is much much more than just some giant robos going at each other

this one is much closer to ID4 and by having trailer up on Pirates, Shrek and lets say Die Har, not only we get huge exposition, but a chance to cross over

this movie needs females of all ages to become huge and I believe that with some screening program you can catch some of the core fans before they are content with online rip and have good enough WOM from others to prepare four quadrants for this movie

for that kind of movie you can be sure the piracy 3 weeks later will be the same as on day1

the only way this movie can really get hurt by download is if it is crap
      but if it is all that I expect it to be, it's gonna be huge
      and if there's anyone home at the end of July in UK, then that date might be best

Comment

That review is fake IMO.

However...

I think Transformers will be MASSIVE.

With the exception of 'The Island', Bay films have ALL been hits and Transformers is his best scoring film EVER with test screenings. Got a 92 or something.

It is primed for success!:P

Comment

One thing's for sure, it HAS to be better than Spider-man 3.

Comment

I'm pretty sure when I first saw the trailer for Transformers, they only had the "from director Michael Bay" credit, but now, I'm seeing "and executive producer Steven Spielberg".

Is this to give the film more respectability than it would have had if people were just associating Bay with it?

Comment

Most likely. Spielberg's a household name. Even if someone didn't have an opinion about Bay or his work, making the fact well known that Spielberg is attached is a smart move, in my opinion.
              d i r g e

Sorsha: "What are you looking at?"
              Madmartigan: "Your leg... I'd like to break it."

Comment

it's because through whole production Steven was acting like this is his own child. So mentioning him in the credits is as much upping the credibility of the film as properly giving credit where credit due

Comment

This has a shot to be the fourth highest grossing movie of the year, but no way in hell it tops Pirates, Spidey or even Shrek.
                  "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Originally posted by jkk808 View Post
                    This has a shot to be the fourth highest grossing movie of the year, but no way in hell it tops Pirates, Spidey or even Shrek.
                    I disagree. The second-week drop off for SPIDEY will be jaw-droppingly massive IMHO. Early reviews of SHREK 3 say it's strickly for the kiddies with little to keep the parents coming back for repeat viewings.

And TRANSFORMERS probably has just as big a built-in fanbase as SPIDEY or PIRATES.

Comment

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ck=3&cset=true

Nice article in the L.A. Times.

Comment

Never under estimate olde school 80's toy driven cartoon show.

Also, never under estimate July 4th being a Wednesday.

The trailer being attatched to Shrek and Pirates will either make or break this movie.

Either way, I'll still be there opening day, just like I was for the first Transformers movie.
                        R.K. Bentley
                        My Blog, My Design Studio
                        "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                          And TRANSFORMERS probably has just as big a built-in fanbase as SPIDEY or PIRATES.
                          I seriously doubt that. Spider-Man has decades of history, Pirates is four-quadrent, and Shrek is...well, Shrek.

Transformers is kind of niche, with some crossover potential. It'll be big, and it may be good...but it's not gonna even come close to the others (domestic...who the hell can tell about international? The Island did great in Asia... saved Bay's bacon).
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                            I disagree. The second-week drop off for SPIDEY will be jaw-droppingly massive IMHO. Early reviews of SHREK 3 say it's strickly for the kiddies with little to keep the parents coming back for repeat viewings.
                            I agree that after the first week or two, Spidey 3 will be an also-ran. The movie just stinks, and I can't even see the hardcore fanboys seeing it more than twice.

Pirates 3 wil make cash, but is still a dark horse when it comes to leading the summer pack - can it equal or surpass the BO of POTC2? Shrek is Shrek and although #3 looks lame, it will pull in the kiddies and parents.

Personally speaking, after Spidey 3 (gak!) the movie I was looking forward to seeing was Transformers - I really think people are underestimating how huge it can get if the movie delivers.

It also has a big downside if Bay pinches out another turd.

Comment

I think the summer will ultimately belong to Potc, but I think this summers dark horse is Jason Bourne.
                              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X