Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Brooks

Seeing this preview A LOT! Not necessarily a big Kevin Costner fan, but looks fun to me and I hadn't had it on my list to see before now.
    "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Re: Mr. Brooks

Saw it today. It was a very solid genre film that, whilst entertaining in places, added nothing particularly new or intriguing to the concept. About as middle of the road as you can get without actually being hit by a truck. William Hurt was good though.
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Since this is recently out on dvd I had the chance to Netflix it.

This could possibly be one of the worst films I've ever seen. No exaggeration. And this is a genre (serial killers) that has had some stupendous lows already. I am dumbfounded at how it could have gotten produced.

Every plot point was hackneyed, contrived, obvious and just wildly implausible, with an ending built around a couple of impossible coincidences. Every line of dialogue was on-the-nose exposition. The characters were one note, one emotion, paper thin and we never see them doing or saying anything not directly related to the plot.

I would love to hear from any reader types, or CE types, or anyone who believes that the script bar is set pretty high in Hollywood, in terms of it being difficult to get a script that's anything less than perfection into production.

I seems like all you need is to get a couple of former A listers to sign on and you can make anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
        I seems like all you need is to get a couple of former A listers to sign on and you can make anything at all.

It's so true and so sad.

Comment

I knew this film was DOA narratively when it opened with that ridiculous title card that basically said, "Hey, guess what? Mr. Brooks has gone loco again!"

Why didn't they at least try and find a way to make the audience believe William Hurt wasn't just a personification of Costner's subconscious? That was a missed opportunity to at least try to have fun with the material....

Comment

Hard to believe this came from the same writers of STAND BY ME.

Comment

Working...
            X