Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 Weeks Later...

enjoyed it. same premise as the original, but told in a different way. much bigger budget and it really showed.

the opening is pretty cool, a good reminder about what the infected are capable of. it takes a while for the story to get going as they try and set up all the characters that will be important. there's a few too many plot contrivances that come across as a little too convenient, but overall it's good fun.

they did another amazing job of making london feel deserted. the landmarks they went to should've been bustling with people, but they're dead quiet. the big shots of the city have no movement, it's really, really eerie to see london so quiet.

there's some really cool horror moments. in the first one, the guy who was with selena talked about being in the airport when infection hit and how it spread so fast. you get to see it happen and it's pretty damn cool when it does.

it's a lot like aliens in that it shows a big, strong, well-armed fighting force that is ready for anything, but finds itself woefully ill-prepared for what it's about to face.

SPOILERS

it's frustrating sometimes watching movies when you know that every line/action in the beginning is setting up something for later on, so when the boy having one green eye and one brown "just like his mother" and then when the mother is found alive you know what'll happen later.

robert carlyle was like the hero-infected and somehow was able to find them whenever it was convenient. it was a little far-fetched that the army finds an infected person and leaves them unguarded so that carlyle could walk into his wife's room, have contact with her and then escape. i know he had the AAA pass, but it's still goofy.

the scene with the helicopter/lawnmower was just cool as f*ck. it was totally unbelievable, but fun to watch. and the wimpy guy hanging on to the landing strut and getting drenched in blood was genius.

great, great, great last shot. it's the ending you want for a movie like this, and it's cool that they had the balls to do it.
    Aiming for mediocrity and falling well short =)

Re: 28 Weeks Later...

One critic compared "28 Days Later" to "Alien" and "28 Weeks Later" to "Aliens"...which is somewhat disappointing to me as I'd much prefer an "Alien" than an "Aliens" in this scenario.

Comment

Damn...it was pretty hard to scroll past that spoiler, but I got through.

I'm looking forward to this...finally. I was a little hesitant at first because it's a sequel, and it has that inevitable curse of the sequel...a small fry. Is there some unwritten law that you have to throw a kid in the mix for every No. 2 (so to speak)?

But I caught the trailer finally, and all I can say is: Bring it on.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
        One critic compared "28 Days Later" to "Alien" and "28 Weeks Later" to "Aliens"...which is somewhat disappointing to me as I'd much prefer an "Alien" than an "Aliens" in this scenario.
        it's a lot more aliens than it is alien.

the first one is small and insular, the experiences of only a few people. this one is much larger in scope.

at the start of this one as people are re-populating the UK you feel safe because of the military presence, like nothing could possibly go wrong. and then it does go wrong. and you see it. and you realise why guns and bullets are useless when you have 300+ screaming infected rushing at you. you can't reload fast enough.

the first one is more the aftermath of infection and survival, this one is more about hubris and seeing how quickly it spreads.

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
        Damn...it was pretty hard to scroll past that spoiler, but I got through.
        i don't want to ruin it for you, but when rose byrne lifts her flamethrower, points it at the infected queen and says "get away for her, you b!tch". awesome moment.
        Aiming for mediocrity and falling well short =)

Comment

I liked it, but I kept waiting for it to really take off. It started a little too slowly and ended a little too fast. The opening sequence was incredible, but they needed something equally blistering at the end. Instead it just kind of petered out.
          Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I liked it - and I think it's great that we live in a world where they can hire an epileptic as camera operator... but I just hate the shaky-cam directing style. It's not hand held - it's hand held with a telephoto lens and a guy shaking the heck out of the camera so you can't see what's happening. I hated the direction of BOURNE 2 for the same reason - I'm sure that was a great car chase, but I didn't see it.

All of that aside, like the first film, the story works both as a zombie attack film and a real character story. Sometimes the personal story required a huge coincidence to work (subway scene) but that was okay. You gave it that coincidence because the scene was so much better than without it. For me, the biggest suspense and fear wasn't from the zombies, it was from Dad telling his children about Mom.

Don't read any interviews with RC - they give away a big plot twist.

And it is more like ALIENS, because as we all know, horror sequels do this...

Movie #2 sends in the military.
            Movie #3 is in 3D.
            Movie #4 they Take Manhattan (Jason and The Muppets have both done this)
            Movie #5 is in The Hood
            Movie #6 goes to outer space.
            Movie #7 gives us New Blood.
            After that, they get to fight whoever wins the Alien vs. Predator bout later this summer.

- Bill
            - Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              Don't read any interviews with RC - they give away a big plot twist.

- Bill
              - Bill
              The AP gave it away in the headline for the interview.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

The board won't let me say it, but... "****!"

Best horror movie I've seen in years.

Damn near pitch perfect in delivering what I want out of a horror flick... aside one bit. Amusingly enough, I can imagine that bit also had everyone involved with the film probably cursing up a storm and kicking furniture roughly a month ago. It was pretty spectacular, but it was the only moment I felt pulled out of the narrative and went, "Um...I don't think so."

And I'll cop... there was one point where I actually sobbed, the dusty waterworks spilling open for the first time since...

...um...

... Bambi's mother got shot?

If nothing else, I'd recommend seeing this on the big screen, because there is some incredible nuance going on with the performances of Robert Carlyle and Catherine McCormack. We're talking an almost imperceptible tick of the lips, a twitch of the eye that conveys a lot more shadings to what the character is feeling that may not be picked up on a television screen.

In the first movie, the infected just ran around in a rage attacking the uninfected...here, subtext is added to underscore what fuels that rage.

[Edited to Add]: And I loved the James Herbert reference/in-joke...it's the only obvious in-joke I caught, although I heard that there's a Shaun of the Dead nod in there.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

It seems the average consensus on the film is that it is a decent sequel but not quite as successfully rendered as "28 Days Later" (for a perspective, "28 Weeks Later" gets a 70% while "28 Days Later" got an overall 89% on Rotten Tomatoes).

Comment

Yeah... like humor, horror is subjective. What works for some folks is silly to others.

Although I wonder how much the (perceived) Yankee bashing had to do with some of the negative reviews...

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Creative Screenwriting newsletter gave it only two stars.
                      "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Saw this today, and LOVED IT it! Thought it was waaaaay better than 28 Days.

I'd agree with Signal, best damn horror movie I've seen in years.

Signal, which part did you mean by:

what I want out of a horror flick... aside one bit. Amusingly enough, I can imagine that bit also had everyone involved with the film probably cursing up a storm and kicking furniture roughly a month ago. It was pretty spectacular, but it was the only moment I felt pulled out of the narrative and went, "Um...I don't think so."

Comment

28 Plot Contrivances Later

a really good movie marred, over and over (and over) and over (and over) again by logistical idiocies.

SPOILERS!!!!1

HOW long did it take them to locate the two kids? Oh right, just long enough.

the completely inane, reappearing jaws-like antagonist that brought groans every time he popped back up...at one point he even sees our protagonists then disappears when they turn in his direction...he's like a tom clancy stealth zombie or something.

flipping down the plastic air vents in a car to ward off chemical warfare. uh.

the infection sequence where, if you slow down the convulsing retard camera work, will see armed soldier after armed soldier being mowed over like inert mannequins.

can a helicopter make the trip from britain to france? seems a bit far fetched...

just like everything else.

END SPOILERS!!!!!!!

The first one was better.

Comment

Totally agree about the ridiculous coincidences/contrivances. First one was way better, but I enjoyed this one too and expected little going in.

Spoilertown

Talk about no logic, suspension of disbelief-annihilating stuff. Besides whats already been mentioned...we have the army, who set this whole colony up, reconstructed all this infrastructure, blow it all to hell with everything they've got after an outbreak of zombies runs off to...the unprotected, unpopulated wastelands. And this is an army who has helicopters to spare, who knows that all they have to do is wait another month and the infected will disapear. They just want to kill regular people themselves instead of letting the infected do it I guess. Just get to a roof, helicopter in some canned food...everyone's fine. And the scene with the car...ugh. No characters, no character development, and the whole movie falls into the trap of it being a will they or wont they kill cildren because those are the main characters kinda deal.

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                              Saw this today, and LOVED IT it! Thought it was waaaaay better than 28 Days.

I'd agree with Signal, best damn horror movie I've seen in years.

Signal, which part did you mean by:
                              Did you see Planet Terror? They beat 28 Weeks Later to the [SPOILER]helicopter as cuisinart[/SPOILER] punch by a month. I'm sure that seriously messed up Boyle and his director's day.

I didn't have a problem with the military being a little off their game in this, because I spent four years in the military... so I've seen that if there's a possibility for the brass to find a way to screw things up and then exacerbate (heh) the situation, they'll find it.

There's a reason the acronyms SNAFU and FUBAR came from the military.
                              Last edited by Signal30; 05-18-2007, 10:33 PM.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                              X