Hands up who remembers the famous "Minority Report" thread on done deal in 2002?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands up who remembers the famous "Minority Report" thread on done deal in 2002?

13 pages of mdbftp, steve and pencey going head to head with CE (who loved it).

Taotropics was waiting in the wings with some great insights too (he didn't like it too much).

I actually printed it out and only found it in a box today.

Anyone else remember this amazing thread?

Re: Hands up who remembers the famous "Minority Report" thread on done deal in 2002?

In 2002? Yikes, I didn't even have a computer back then, much less one of these internets.

Is the thread still up? Can you post a link?

Comment

Re: Hands up who remembers the famous "Minority Report" thread on done deal in 2002?

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
      In 2002? Yikes, I didn't even have a computer back then, much less one of these internets.

Is the thread still up? Can you post a link?
      They archived it for a long time but I think it was lost when they switched to a different message board system.

I'm probably going to scan it next week so might be able to email it to you.

It truly was a great thread that took place the week that minority report opened... interesting that it is a seldom talked about film 5 years later...

Comment

I hate the ending of that film.
        "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchtimeonmyhands View Post
          They archived it for a long time but I think it was lost when they switched to a different message board system.

I'm probably going to scan it next week so might be able to email it to you.

It truly was a great thread that took place the week that minority report opened... interesting that it is a seldom talked about film 5 years later...
          I would be curious to see what those heavyweights had to say about it, especially if it was a spirited discussion. Maybe you can just post the PDFs in One on One, or do a bit torrent or something, though....

I hear screenwriting types discuss it to this day -- longest first act in history, way too much plot, examples of what not to do. My take: some parts were so cool (the retina spiders), some parts were really nice, but the whole just floundered.

Comment

CE's first post was as follows and then things went kinda wild...

BLADE RUNNER is a good looking movie but suffers from a completely jumbled narrative.

On a whole, MINORITY REPORT is a much better film.

I thought this was extremely well done and benefits from a smart script - courtesy of Scott Frank.

I think MINORITY REPORT is a complex story while I think BLADE RUNNER is confusing. There's a difference.

I read the original draft (when Bill Mechanic was going to produce it), and the final result was light years beyond what crossed my desk in '98. (The script was untitled at the time).

I thought the script had some good surprises. I thought I knew who Leo Crow was - but was surprised to learn that I was wrong. I liked the constant reversals.

The chase with the rocket packs culminating in the car factory was great.

And the scene with Cruise and the pre-cog in the mall was outstanding. Ditto with her monologue to Cruise and wife revealing what the future might have held. MOVING.

I will definitely see it again.

ATTACK OF THE CLONES and SPIDERMAN (and I generally liked both) should hang their heads in shame.

MINORITY REPORT is what going to see a GREAT movie is all about.

Comment

Minority Report was junk, but he is a "Creative" Executive(oxymoron), so it's not really surprising.
              "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Villains killing themselves is so unsatisfying.
                "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Originally posted by Bearded Clam View Post
                  Minority Report was junk, but he is a "Creative" Executive(oxymoron), so it's not really surprising.
                  If I recall, that's pretty much the kind of comment that drove the thread for 13 pages.
                  "The only reason most scripts are bad is because most people can't write." Leslie Dixon

Comment

and that's generally about the time I stop reading thread too.

Comment

I remember.

Those were the good old days when this board had a pulse.

Comment

This would have been one of my favorite films of all time WITHOUT the last 30 minutes. Once it turned into a cheeseball Law & Order conspiracy, it lost me. It's been 5 years since I saw this movie, but chew on this:

What if the movie had ended with Anderton either killing (or not killing) his son's murderer? It would have brought up a very interesting THEME question (are we pre-destined for everything we do?) and a great CONCEPT payoff -- A detective working "pre-crime," a unit that predicts crimes before they occur is occused of murder, but as he struggles to clear his name, he learns that the events leading to his future crime were set in motion by the prediction itself.

In essence, the Pre-Crime "invention" caused this murder to happen.

To me, that's a much tighter, focused story with a much more meaningful and satisfying ending (on an intellectual, narrative and theme level).

I would have also preferred the Pre-Crime unit to be based on technology (a machine) rather than magic (the precogs).
                        Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by pconsidine View Post
                          If I recall, that's pretty much the kind of comment that drove the thread for 13 pages.
                          It was probably me making them then, too!
                          "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Bearded and Sluppo what were your old usernames?
                            One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

What made it a great thread was the inability for several people to grasp that the protag not killing the guy was not a major plot hole. If memory serves correct, CE at one point declared that if someone couldn't figure out why it still worked, and in fact was the point of the whole story (a person could have a last second change of heart), then they shouldn't be considering a career in screenwriting.

Priceless.
                              Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Working...
                              X