Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars

I've mentioned this script on the boards before. It's an old rejected draft by Jeb Stewart (I think?). It deals with aliens and the Soviets and all that stuff. Now, with rumors of Indy IV dealing with the same elements, I wonder if they are borrowing from that script. It's available online (just google Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars). It's a helluva fun script in my opinion.
    Goonies never say die!

Re: Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars

I don't think these rumors are accurate at all. Indy IV is unlikely to deal with extraterrestrials.
    Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Odd crossover...doesn't really gel though with the other Indy filums.
      One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

The Saucer Men script is many years old.

Jeb's a great writer and I believe that's reflected in this work. I don't love the concept, but it was brought to him by Lucas and Spielberg. Ultimately its clear they didn't love it either - it went through plenty of drafts. It is one idea of many given to various writers over the years.

Hopefully they hit on a good idea with good execution. It should be fun!

Comment

Lucas is ALL about religion and mythology. Seems like a bit of an about face in the tone of the series, so I wouldn't think so.
          Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I'm totally with you guys that this does seem like a strange turn, although one site reported that it's based on the idea of religion being handed down to us by aliens. Still, it is a strange turn.

Like the concept or not, as a self-confessed fanboy who searches sites for sequel news, I can tell you that these rumors do usually have some sort of grain of truth to them. I'm thinking that maybe these rumors are spouting from the film's narrative hook, which the Indy films are famous for. I wouldn't mind seeing a fun opening involving Area 51, just like the opening for the other films had little to do with the rest of the story.

Or it could be that these rumors are simply coming from that old Saucer Men script, which has been pretty well circulated. Who knows? I'm just ready to see Indy kick some ass.

P.S.
            Off the topic a bit, but I saw someone mention at another site that they would have to deal with the idea that Indy is immortal now (since sipping from J.C.'s cup), but wasn't that deal null and void since Indy crossed the seal at the end of the movie? Afterall, the only knight that lived forever was the one who stayed there with the cup. The other two (as described in the legend mentioned in the film) died of "extreme old age." I always thought that at the end of the Last Crusade that he was back to being just good old normal Indy again.
            Goonies never say die!

Comment

I read on this board that the rejected Frank Darabont script also dealt with extraterrestrials.

I don't have high hopes for Indy 4. Indy 3 was a letdown to me; while the Sean Connery bits were good, the whole Nazi angle seemed tired.

Now, if my information is correct, Lucas has chosen David Koepp as his writer. Choosing Koepp over Darabont, to me, is like choosing diet bologna over steak.

Comment

I know this may be blasphemous to some, but I think if most people go back and rewatch Raiders they will find it lacking in a lot of ways. I know it gets credit for being the first of it's kind, but to me it doesn't hold up as well as people think. The story is not very cohesive and there are a number of severe plot holes.

To me, the standard has become Indy 3.

After reading all the rumors about aliens, though, my expectations for Indy 4 have dwindled.

Indy always contained magic and mysticism, but aliens have become so cliched that I don't see how they can do it in a unique way.

Spielberg and aliens...not too shocking, though, right?

Comment

Some believe that the origin of man is alien.

Marcus in Indy 3 killed it for me. I thought he was an Indiana type character in his youth as set-up in Raiders but they turned him into a buffoon in 3.

Raiders works for me, sure there are problems, but Speilberg's direction makes all the difference in my opinion.
                  "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

I think the concept could work...would have to be executed perfectly though and I don't see Koepp pulling that off.

Indy as we know him. Sure. Indy vs Saucer Men. No.

I do like the name "Saucer Men". Harkens back to early 40's/50's alien hype.
                    One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

All this talk about aliens in the scripts might be true. The earlier and lasting rumor is that Indy 4 is about the search for Atlantis.

Didn't the Alantians get their knowledge from the Pleiadians?

Besides, Speiberg always had fondness for "ET". Is Indy 4 really ET2?

Comment

Originally posted by OzFade View Post
                        I do like the name "Saucer Men". Harkens back to early 40's/50's alien hype.
                        It's different from the formula we know as established by films 1, 2, and 3. But, perhaps not so different in the inspiration. Remember, the Indy films harken back to the days of the old adventure serials from the 1930s. And so, the films took place in the 1930s. Indy 4 will take place in mid-1950s, a perfect era for Indiana Jones to be "battling" saucer men when such sci-fi fare was most popular.

Whatever it may be about, I say any Indy film is better than no Indy film.

Comment

Originally posted by Maclean View Post
                          I know this may be blasphemous to some, but I think if most people go back and rewatch Raiders they will find it lacking in a lot of ways.
                          What severe plot holes do you speak of? How is Raiders not cohesive?

Comment

The ending, the ending...

(Not this again! )
                            Jesus, if this guy owned a funeral parlor nobody would die!

Comment

Harrison Ford will be in a wheelchair by the time this hits the screen. Surely they've decided on a script by now?

Wasn't that the main reason they couldn't get their **** together? Lucas liked one script, and Spielberg hated another?
                              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                              X