Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest Hitchcock Film to Be Remade: "The Lodger"

Sony Pictures Entertainment has announced they have set David Ondaatje to make his directorial debut on a remake of Alfred Hitchcock's 1927 debut "The Lodger". Michael Mailer, who is also serving as a producer on the project, adapted the screenplay from the original Marie Belloc Lowndes novel. Inspired of course by the mass hysteria generated by Jack the Ripper and his killing spree in 1888, this "Lodger" is set around two separate storylines: an uneasy relationship between an unstable landlady and her mysterious lodger and a troubled detective engaged in a game of cat-and-mouse with an elusive killer. Sony has not yet decided which of its labels will release the movie or if they will simply send it straight-to-DVD/Blu-ray.

With "The Birds" getting the remake treatment soon as well, one can only wonder which title Hollywood will pick from the Hitchcock vine next. "Vertigo"? "North by Northwest"? "Rear Window" (although "Disturbia" could be considered close enough)? "Frenzy"?

Re: The Latest Hitchcock Film to Be Remade: "The Lodger"

I think the story of frightened studio execs being afraid to take risks with new material would be a Hitchcock movie in itself.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Who's this Hitchcock dude?
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
        I think the story of frightened studio execs being afraid to take risks with new material would be a Hitchcock movie in itself.
        Yeah, but good luck in getting it funded.
        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          Who's this Hitchcock dude?
          The first man to sign the United States Declaration of Independence.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
            With "The Birds" getting the remake treatment soon as well, one can only wonder which title Hollywood will pick from the Hitchcock vine next. "Vertigo"? "North by Northwest"? "Rear Window" (although "Disturbia" could be considered close enough)? "Frenzy"?
            I think a remake of CHAMPAGNE would be lovely!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0018756/maindetails

With the Olsen Twins!!

"THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

The only way I'd want to see a remake of The Lodger is if Hitchcock remade it himself.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that the source novel and the Hitchcock version are both public domain. Not to mention that it was a silent film (how many of even us have seen it?) and it has already been remade three times.

And since it'd be cost prohibitive and demographically silly to make it a period piece, I'm sure that a contemporized version of it could play well. There's enough timeless elements that can utilized pretty nicely.

Not that I want to see another teens in peril movie, but there you go.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I saw this some years ago in a double-feature at a cinema in Camden Town, in north London, during a mini-fstival of very early Hitchcock films. As stated, it's based on a novel that I believe has long been out of print (though not necessarily in the public domain), and featured, as "the lodger" himself, the famous singer Ivor Novello, portrayed in Robert Altman's "Gosford Park". The movie is famous for the scene of the Lodger pacing the floor. Hitchock had him walk on a thick pane of glass so it could be shot from below. Still holds up as a striking piece of filmwork, and original for its day.

Comment

For what it's worth, the novel is listed on the public domain resource Project Gutenberg.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                    X