• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 new 30 Days of Night pics!

Just to wet those fangs a little.
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=284249130

Plus, today on bloody-disgusting.com

Ghost House Pictures and FEARnet.com are teaming to bring you new short films based on one of the popular 30 Days of Night comics by Steven Niles. They will be released in conjunction with Columbia Pictures' 30 DAYS OF NIGHT, which hits theaters October 19.

The shorts will be helmed by Victor Garcia (Return to House on Haunted Hill) and written by Ben Ketai.

The storyline is a spin-off from one of the characters in the graphic novel -- The series will follow George (character from the graphic novel) who helps track the same clan of vampires who eventually come to Barrow, Alaska. Shorts will capture his struggle in trying to acquire that information while being hunted by vampires through the streets of New Orleans.

These shorts are stand alone pieces created for FEARnet exclusively and not taken from David Slade's film to be released on October. 19. Steve Hein produces with creator Steve Niles consulting and Quantum Creations on FX.

Also - here's a screener review on imdb. From all accounts, its shaping up to be a real killer of a vamp flick. Thank God for the "R" Rating too.

We were given the normal spiel about coloring, temp music and missing special effects and specifically day shots that have not been changed to night shots since almost the entire movie is in the dead of night or nights, in this case.

Yes, I did read the graphic novel that this movie is based on, but the book didn't resonate with me. I only thought that it was clever to have a new setting to an old standard survival horror piece. The ending was cool but I don't remember loving the graphic novel, at all. I read it and forgot about it.

Now to the movie. A dying breed of vampires are lead to Barrow, Alaska (population 156?) to feed upon the townies during the annual 30 days of night.

Josh Hartnett is the lead. I think Josh is a good actor that is getting better and better with each movie. In this move, he really excels. It was the first time that I didn't think of him as a man-boy, who is technically old enough to play his roles but just seemed a bit inexperienced. In this movie, he is a sheriff, but more importantly a man, with a little bit of baggage.

His anti-love interest is Melissa George. She just missed the last opportunity to leave Barrow, Alaska before the dreaded 30 days of night encompasses the sleepy town. Yes, she is Hartnett's baggage.

Other notable actors are Mark Boone Jr. playing the town outcast with a penchant for violence, Danny Huston (channeling Vincent D'onofrio, back when he was playing weird and unfriendly) playing the lead vampire, Marlowe, and Ben Foster playing the Stranger that leads the vampires to this gold mine.

The movie plays like a modern-day, survival zombie horror flick. A mish-mash of survivors use their wits to try to wait out the vampire onslaught. They watch in horror as friends, family members and neighbors are fed upon by the powerful vampire (clan?). As the survivors are culled, Josh Hartnett becomes more and more desperate for a solution. Does he and Melissa George survive? I'm not got to say.

I can tell you that the movie is great, bordering on excellent. The movie is suspenseful, fairly dramatic, horrific and very, very gory. (If producers are reading this, please, please keep the scene with the little girl vampire---I know it's cliche in this day and age to have creepy little children, but this was the point in the movie that this movie was NOT *beep* around. People are going to die and these survivors need to make frightening decisions!).

The vampires literally chatter, screech and don't speak, though Marlowe talks vampire every once in awhile. Because of the constant chattering and screeching, I couldn't help but relate it to the constant moaning and screaming of modern-day zombies. It's not too annoying, though and stays in context with the movie.

The only gripe is there is no ounce of levity or humor in this movie. Think John Carpenter's The Thing. It escalates and escalates and escalates. No pithy one-liners but at the same time, no release of tension. I could hear various audience members whispering funny things to relieve the tension.

A good and thorough story that fans of thrillers may like but definitely a movie where gore-hounds may relish, especially the vampire-little girl scene.

And to top it all off - the illustrated screenplay will soon be released (oct 17th?)
    http://www.amazon.com/30-Days-Night-.../dp/1600101267

Enjoy
    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 07-06-2007, 10:21 PM.
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: 2 new 30 Days of Night pics!

"Vampires in Alaska."

This should become the default example of "high concept" when the discussion comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon Squad View Post
      "Vampires in Alaska."

This should become the default example of "high concept" when the discussion comes up.

Such a simple, yet effective concept.

Hard to believe people actually live in a place like that.
      Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 07-06-2007, 10:46 PM.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Alaska is pretty much the last refuge for Americans who want to get away from other Americans, without having to deal with locals that give them grief about being an American.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
        X