Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Citizen Kane

There's a clip on YouTube of "Citizen Kane" set to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons' "Walk Like A Man." It actually works.

Comment

It's boring, but an important part of cinema history. It's like a Picasso that polarizes people -- you have to appreciate it regardless of whether you're engaged by it.
      Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Charli View Post
        Okay, so here's the thing, I thought, I've never seen, "Citizen Kane" and because it's one of America's high acclaimed movies, I should give it a shot, rent it, watch it and really learn from it.

I turned it off after twenty minutes. I got to the part where they went to the wifer in the club. Honestly, I was simply bored, bored, bored to tears. Maybe I've watched way too many action movies, I dunno, hey, I enjoyed, "Casablance" and even watched, "Psycho" and didn't blink during those movies. This one however, I could not muddle through.

Rosebud, whatever.
        Watch The Third Man or Lady From Shanghai or Touch of Evil or The Stranger

All better watches than Citizen Kane
        sigpic

Comment

In my opinion, Touch of Evil is his best picture. Orson is incredible in that film plus the technical stuff blows me away in that one.
          "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Originally posted by Han Shot First View Post
            It's boring, but an important part of cinema history. It's like a Picasso that polarizes people -- you have to appreciate it regardless of whether you're engaged by it.
            I think that's a good way to look at it.

Comment

Rosebud, whatever.
              At least you celebrate your ignorance boldly.
              I'm like an opening band for the sun.
              -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

Originally posted by pwrmyth View Post
                At least you celebrate your ignorance boldly.
                Ah, the old I don't agree with your opinion so I'll call you stupid response.

That's original.

Comment

Maybe I've watched way too many action movies, I dunno...
                  I think you've answered it.

(And how does PSYCHO enter into it? -- Two completely different genres, twenty years apart??)
                  "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
                    Ah, the old I don't agree with your opinion so I'll call you stupid response.

That's original.

I'm sure you'll have fun taking down Shakespeare next. It's not like Kane descends on a world without a critical body of work behind it.

That doesn't mean anybody has to like it. It just means that when a film shows up at the top of endless lists over a long period of time there's, um. probably a reason for that.

Or maybe it's just good marketing. Or a conspiracy. Yeah, I'm sure that's it.
                    I'm like an opening band for the sun.
                    -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

I don't like it either. I respect Kane but I don't like it and I wouldn't be surprised if I never watched it again.

Comment

If a person aspires to being a good, or dare I even say great writer, s/he had better understand why Citizen Kane is one of the best films ever made... even if they were bored by it.
                        Craft maximises talent

Comment

Citizen Kane

Okay, so here's the thing, I thought, I've never seen, "Citizen Kane" and because it's one of America's high acclaimed movies, I should give it a shot, rent it, watch it and really learn from it.
                          Perhaps, it is a matter of perspective. You're a woman, and you might have done better to watch the feminine version of CITIZEN KANE: GONE WITH THE WIND.

Tara, whatever.
                          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Working...
                          X