Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunshine -with spoilers!

Except the Q-ball would go straight through the Sun because the Sun is not dense enough to stop it.

But anyway, even though the premise is more unrealistic than Armageddon, that is not the problem, I can let that slide.

The problem is the clunky way the plot unfolds. The blame must fall on the writer with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
      Except the Q-ball would go straight through the Sun because the Sun is not dense enough to stop it.

But anyway, even though the premise is more unrealistic than Armageddon, that is not the problem, I can let that slide.

The problem is the clunky way the plot unfolds. The blame must fall on the writer with this one.

Well, here's what Dr. Brian Cox of CERN (who was the chief scientific consultant on the film) has to say...

"The script was already written when I came on board, and the mechanism for the death of the Sun was never a part of the original script. Alex wanted to write a film about science and religion (in fact if you look at the published script, Alex says that Sunshine is a film about atheism). He uses the Sun almost as a deity. I think it's an excellent metaphor. BUT, of course when we got talking about the film, I told them that it wasn't going to burn out for 5 billion years! Danny and Alex challenged me, for our own amusement, to find some physical process that could, at least theoretically, threaten a star. As far as I know, the Q-ball theory is the only even slightly possible mechanism discussed in the scientific literature that could threaten a star, although as we discussed, it would have to be a very dense star. So we said that on the web site.

So - our opinion has always been that the Sun dying is the centre of the film because it allows these wider issues to be explored in a very direct and cinematic way. The back-story, such as it is, is only there to remind the small percentage of the audience that are interested in science that there are almost certainly are things in the Universe that we don't yet understand, and haven't thought of yet, Q-balls are a nice example of a theoretical possibility that could threaten something as powerful as a star (in this case a neutron star). But note that it's only a VERY speculative theory (although I would say that supersymmetry, on which the Q-ball idea is based, is a very real possibility, and if it does exist we have a very good chance of discovering it at the LHC within the next decade)."

Comment

My problem is that they suddenly turned the movie from smart to an Event Horizon knock-off.

Comment

The only problem I had with 28 Days Later is that writer Alex Garland was pretty reliant on homaging other works to build the framework of his screenplay. I wouldn't surprise me if he continued on with that trait here.

When I read the synopsis on this one, first thing I thought was that it sounded like a hybrid of 2001 and Event Horizon...

... but ultimately it's about atheism? Cripes, that's just as boring sounding as if they made it about some other kind of religion.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
            ... but ultimately it's about atheism? Cripes, that's just as boring sounding as if they made it about some other kind of religion.

I think it's an interesting topic set within this genre and if done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
              The only problem I had with 28 Days Later is that writer Alex Garland was pretty reliant on homaging other works to build the framework of his screenplay. I wouldn't surprise me if he continued on with that trait here.

When I read the synopsis on this one, first thing I thought was that it sounded like a hybrid of 2001 and Event Horizon...

I don't recall there being too much religious/anti-religious stuff besides the usual people dying type stuff. However, 2001 meets Event Horizon is a correct thought and that's pretty much exactly what this movie is.

Regarding Garland, I actually really liked his Halo draft.

Comment

Yeah, Garland can write.

FOX think so too - he wrangled an upfront $1 Million fee for Sunshine.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                  FOX think so too - he wrangled an upfront $1 Million fee for Sunshine.

Same can be said for "Halo" as Microsoft paid him that exact amount as well.

Comment

The religion aspect really comes into play with Pinbacker and his obsession with the sun (which Kanada and Searle also slowly started to develop).

I love the mythology and the psychology of it all though. I mean look at how many civilisations have idolised the sun throughout the ages...to get that close to such a powerful thing and to have it rooted in your dreams and thoughts every day must be intense.

Pinbacker has literally fried his mind with such thoughts.
                    One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

I agree with the OP. I too was disapointed. The surviving captain from the first ship...it was too predictable the crew said that it was deffinitly possible so it was no surprize. And yea, why was he super human?

Anyhow the whole mission could have been a automated mission anyway..

Comment

There was never an indication that the surviving captain was superhuman...

Comment

Well, anybody who has been melting his skin off for the past 6 years able to hold someone up by the throat with one arm, then walk over to the edge to dangle them....I consider abnormal, maybe not super, but deffinitly abnormal.

The plot reminded me of Event Horizon, where someone goes crazy and kills off the crew of the ship. I liked how one of the crew was "on the same path" where he too was burning off his skin, but never made it to the advance stages of the old captain.

Can someone also explain why surgical knives would vibrate?

Like I said before, it would've been an unmanned mission.

If the computer was so damn smart to take over control when needed to, why didn't it realize the angle was off and auto correct the shields, or atleast give a warning.

Well, if we wait a couple billion years to when the sun will actually die off, we can then judge how realistic this movie was.

Comment

Sunshine, Boys!

I hadn't heard about this film, until running across this thread; and, looking at the plot and "science" in the film, I'm already laughing. Is this the same NASA that allows drunk astronauts to go on their space missions?
                            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Also, Pinbacker was a character in Dark Star, which also had a similar premise... but emphasis on the comedy.
                              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

There was a reason why - when the payload was spiralling toward the sun - Pinbacker was able to lift Byrne off the ground. Gravity was way out of whack.

Comment

Working...
                                X