No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunshine -with spoilers!

Spolier alert...
    I saw Sunshine yesterday and was very disappointed.

No one actor got to stretch their acting skills because so much useless action was happening in so short a time. I loved Danny Boyle directing and Cillian Murphy acting in 28 Days Later so much that the hope that Sunshine would be on the same level carried me over to this film.

The burned-up captain from the Icarus II surviving and becoming some sort of superman was ridiculous. And having the belief he was an instrument of God? Where did that come from?

The amazing Michelle Yeoh barely got to do any acting! I was so looking forward to her showing off her acting skills. Same with Cillian Murphy -he barely did any acting -just running around.

Those golden spacesuits looked silly and badly designed.
    The final minute on snow capped Earth looked really low budget. I mean show the world covered in snow not just the Sidney Opera dropped onto a normal winter background.

And when the sun flares back into full force it should have been more of a spectacle instead it looked like the sun just revealed itself from behind a large cloud while the camera was pointed at the ground landscape.

The trailer and it's music made the film look great but damn...it wasn't.
    Last edited by Raff; 07-31-2007, 05:27 PM.

Re: Sunshine -with spoilers!

I thought the film was good for what it was.

Yes, it had cliched moments. And I agree the cast wasn't given much to work with... But when comparing the film to other big budget films (regardless of the country who produced it) I liked the atmosphere and directing much better than say "Transformers", or other summer blockbusters if we have to make a comparison. This is definitely a more "adult" sci-fi (escapist) movie IMO in terms of it focusing more on the psychology of the characters vs. the action and special effects.

What I liked most was Danny Boyle tried to make the action scenes subdued with the use of calm, soothing music instead of thundering, booming passages that most directors would resort to. Good examples of this are when the captain is fried when repairing the solar shield and at the very end when they ignite the bomb.

I would still recommend people see it -- flaws and all -- Because it is a breath of fresh air in a season when so many movies talk down to the audience and are written for people under the age of 13.
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

It sure is drab and completely lose the plot in the third act.

Worst thing though, it's just not very smart. For a film that alludes to being 'adult' sci-fi, it's not very well researched.

There are a few nice shots of the Sun, but that's only a minute or two of the film.

Comment

Wow.

I loved this film and thought that it was ten times better than the usual schlock we get.

I loved how you can take a concept more suited for a sequel to The Core and turn it into a wonderful film of dread and hope coupled with an amazing cast of characters (and actors which I thought all played their parts well).

The whole subplot with the Icarus II is really interesting. Seoul (spelling?) was by far the most interesting of the crew. His obession of the sun mirroring that of Pinbacker's is just....

I wish I wrote it.
        One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Richard Roeper has given the film a thumbs down this passing weekend. Although it has gotten a number of positive critiques, from some of the negative write-ups I've come across I'm beginning to very much feel the film has already disappointed me before I've even seen a single second of celluloid.

Comment

It's good for what it is -- a rental.

Comment

Originally posted by szyszka View Post
              It's good for what it is -- a rental.

If it's only worth a rental, to me that says it's not very good.

Comment

I don't even think it's worth a rental...

It's just plain dumb.

A film full of dumb characters doing even dumber things to fit the writer's contrived dumb plot.

Forgiveable perhaps... If this was played for laughs... It's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                  Worst thing though, it's just not very smart. For a film that alludes to being 'adult' sci-fi, it's not very well researched.
                  LMFAO

Sorry Jack, no offence, but that's funny. I know you weren't trying to be, but let me just inform you that they had official Solar Scientists (or people who study the Sun for a living) and NASA advisors on set and even in post.

The physics and science in this film was as accurate as possible for today's theory's on space travel technology. Maybe a little exaggerated for the purpose of being a movie, but there was a lot of science in this film, that was based on real life. Plus the cast spent months on a space camp in Florida (same one Hanks and Sinise were on for Apollo 13).

I had been tracking Boyle's blog since filming began, and believe me -- they did their research.

And btw - there's like 20 shots of the sun (maybe more?), and it tallies up to be a lot more then 1 minute. Plus the CGI shots of the sun are amazing, you can't deny that. This film, is by no means an acton/sci-fi blockbuster - so to even compare is silly.

Its less action - more about the pyschological effects, and stress the crew have to face, while being tasked with the job of saving humanity. Basically the crew are suffering from long term space travel.

Are you sure you didn't watch Solaris and get your reviews confused?
                  Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 07-23-2007, 04:29 AM.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                    Richard Roeper has given the film a thumbs down this passing weekend.
                    Who the hell is Roeper, and more importantly, who gives a sh!t what he thinks?

Go see the film yourself, and make your own mind up. Don't base your assumptions on some arm chair critics analysis of a genre he probably has no idea about.

You can probably guess --- I can't stand film critics!
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

All it takes is a serious tone and a somber mood and I think you can make people believe anything is intelligent.

Sunshine is as about as well researched as Armageddon (they went to NASA as well). Actually at least Armageddon has a plausible premise and played it for laughs.

Quick browse around the net will show up the gaping holes in Sunshine. There were also about a billion silly plot moments, my fav of which came quite early when the pilot, who is calculating their trajectory towards the sun, forgets to take into account --- the sun! Just un-ber-lievable. I can forgive the craziness of comic book films, but when serious films pull stuff like this, I just throw my hands in the air. So I calm down and think 'well okay that would never happen but let's pretend this ship is manned by retards', and then two minutes later - they burn up the oxygen in a fire *bang head on table*, why? Not that it matters though, there is plenty of oxygen in the payload later in the film, suppose we have to overlook that point.

But it just goes on and on and on like that. Like I said, forgivable when your tongue is in your cheek, but not when trying to convince the world how 'smart' your film is.

Funny you should mention it, but Solaris (the book) actually *is* thinking man's sci-fi. But a burnt dude running around slashing everyone... not so much...

Comment

What gets me is that this film is in limited release right now and I can't see it because it's not showing in Houston. (Houston we have a problem!)

Come on Houston, Texas (NASA; Johnson Space Center) largest city in Texas, 4th largest in the nation, and we didn't get it? That's one of the advantages of living in a big city, you should be able to see everything and anything first.

Guess I'll have to wait until its wide release like every other small town out there.

I hate film critics as well. Can't tell you have many times I've seen a film that they really panned that I liked and a film they thought was better than sex, that I hated.

I put them right up there with sport broadcasters, who I can't stand either, due to the obvious talks they have with coaches or players before and after the game.

ex:

Sports Broadcaster: So, coach what will it take for your team to win the game?

Coach: Well, we're going to have to throw the ball and run the ball real well and put it in the end zone. On defense we're going to have to play real hard and stop the run and pass. If we do all those things we should be OK.

DUH!!!

Bedazzled nailed it in the basketball scene.
                        Last edited by csanders; 07-23-2007, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                          Sorry Jack, no offence, but that's funny. I know you weren't trying to be, but let me just inform you that they had official Solar Scientists (or people who study the Sun for a living) and NASA advisors on set and even in post.

The physics and science in this film was as accurate as possible for today's theory's on space travel technology. Maybe a little exaggerated for the purpose of being a movie, but there was a lot of science in this film, that was based on real life. Plus the cast spent months on a space camp in Florida (same one Hanks and Sinise were on for Apollo 13).

Agreed on that the majority of science and ideas behind what is going on in "Sunshine" is indeed factual.

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                          Who the hell is Roeper, and more importantly, who gives a sh!t what he thinks?

Richard Roeper is Roger Ebert's partner in crime.
                          Last edited by j over; 07-23-2007, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                            Funny you should mention it, but Solaris (the book) actually *is* thinking man's sci-fi. But a burnt dude running around slashing everyone... not so much...
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

For all of those who are bashing the film because you think the plot itself is not plausible, here's a snippet from Roger Ebert's review for those who are not much with the space science-initiated...

"Considering that the movie is set only 50 years in the future, the sun seems to be dying several billion years prematurely, especially in a "hard" (i.e., quasi-plausible) science-fiction film. Man, am I glad I didn't go off on a rant about that before learning that the film's science adviser, Dr. Brian Cox of CERN (Conseil Europeen Pour le Recherche Nucleaire [European Laboratory for Particle Physics]), thought of it, too.

The sun is not "dying in the normal sense," IMDb.com reports, but in the Cox scenario "has instead been 'infected' with a 'Q-ball' -- a supersymetric nucleus, left over from the Big Bang...that is disrupting the normal matter. This is a theoretical particle that scientists at CERN are currently trying to confirm -- the film's bomb is meant to blast the Q-ball to its constituent parts, which will then naturally decay, allowing the sun to return to normal."

I'll buy that. Blasting a Q-ball to its constituent parts sounds normal to me, but then I read every sci-fi magazine published during my adolescence, and my hero was John W. Campbell Jr., the editor of Astounding/Analog, who insisted his fiction not be preposterous, but sensible and possible, such as a mission to the sun to blast a Q-ball to pieces.

But enough about me. What about the Q-ball? It's a "non-topological soliton," Wikipedia explains, before grumbling in a related article, "it is not easy to define precisely what a soliton is."

Comment

Working...
                              X