No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunshine, Boys!

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
    Is this the same NASA that allows drunk astronauts to go on their space missions?
    How else do you expect to get a crew to sit in a thin metal shell wrapped around dynamite, built by the lowest bidding contractor and hurled into space with no escape plan?*

*To paraphrase John Glenn.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Astronaut Farmer

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
      How else do you expect to get a crew to sit in a thin metal shell wrapped around dynamite, built by the lowest bidding contractor and hurled into space with no escape plan?
      Tell him that the bank is foreclosing his past-due mortgage and will take away his farm in a few weeks.

Better science in that film, I'd think, tho I wondered why his barn didn't burn up during the first launch attempt.
      JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Astronaut Farmer

After seeing the film today, I can certainly say that while it's neither a great nor an extremely good film, it's not a complete failure in my opinion. The premise itself is interesting, the cast is solid, the sun effects are at times quite beautiful and some of the science (believe it or not) is based on fact or possible possibilities. Again, it is overall a disappointment but I've certainly seen worse this year. There is more subtext and metaphor to be found in this versus the nutrition-less cotton candy of something like "Transformers".

On a side note, it seems that Alex Garland has issues with third acts in his stories as "28 Days Later", although a better film than "Sunshine", doesn't exactly have a great turn of events as the final phase of the film comes into play. The third act of "28 Days Later" works better versus the curtain call of "Sunshine", though.
        Last edited by j over; 07-31-2007, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Re: Sunshine -with spoilers!

Originally posted by OzFade View Post
          There was a reason why - when the payload was spiralling toward the sun - Pinbacker was able to lift Byrne off the ground. Gravity was way out of whack.

I had this elaborate explination of why that doesn't make sense with event horizons and such, but you know, I got confused, was this movie suppose to be realistic? If yes, then the chamber would've been vaporized once their shielding fell apart. - Unless the chamber was made from material that doesn't vaporize in the center of a star. -If they had that, why not make the ship out of that stuff...oh darn the movie wouldn't have any conflicts...

Thats what I don't like about sci-fi movies these days, they create conflicts from illogical, non realistic events, and the movie starts to unravel from there.

Did they have gravity - I think they were walking the length of the ship, which means, and i guess, it was spinning, but they never showed that, and especially in the scene where they docked with the other ship. - I know the com towers were spinning, but not the entire mass of the ship.../shrug...I give up.

It would have been an unmanned mission in the first place.

A quick additional example. The destruction of the oxygen room stemmed from a rash, and quick decision from that lady pilot to not care about her ship or the comm towers. I believe she could have compromised to allow the sun to hit more of the shield and still allow them to work. - And please explain to me why the panels "lift up" in the first place. Do the real heat panels have individual hydro pumps? If the situation was the angle was wrong, wouldn't it just burn off the top of the space ship? why damage the panels? And do surgical knives vibrate?!
          Last edited by Philly4Life; 07-31-2007, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I walked out after an hour or so because it felt like I had been thrown into the middle of a crisis without any character development. The pacing was way too fast with too much **** hitting the fan in the first act. It's supposed to be (I think) a sci-fi—not an action film, and even the best action films start out slower than this one to let the audience settle in for what's to come.

It made me think, though, and I can only come up with three reasons why **** should hit the fan in a story:

1) Murphy's Law
            2) human incompetence
            3) an anatgonist

Well, the universe is a relatively stable place, at least stable enough for life to have evolved on our planet, so Murphy's Law is good for only one mechanical failure. Any more than that and you're testing the audience. I didn't see an antagonist, so unless it's revealed in the third act that one of the crew was hijacking the mission, it comes down to human incompetence. Except these guys are supposed to be humanity's last hope, so they should be the best of the best of the best, instead of cracking under stress and beating each other up. So, I had a big problem with the poorly defined, incompent characters (and that in the future, NASA's budget cuts will be so deep that they'll have to outfit the astronauts at an Old Navy outlet store.)

Too much needless action and too many incompetent characters trying to save humanity. I would have cared more for a crew of competent humanoid replicants destined on a sucide mission.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
              On a side note, it seems that Alex Garland has issues with third acts in his stories as "28 Days Later", although a better film than "Sunshine", doesn't exactly have a great turn of events as the final phase of the film comes into play. The third act of "28 Days Later" works better versus the curtain call of "Sunshine", though.
              I heard 28 Days Later had several different endings written even one regarding a cure for the rage. I'd love to know exactly what he had originally.

Comment

Originally posted by szyszka View Post
                I heard 28 Days Later had several different endings written even one regarding a cure for the rage. I'd love to know exactly what he had originally.

Rent the DVD to find out.

Comment

The first two thirds were absolutely magnificent, it was the final act that let it down. Up to that point Danny Boyle had done such a masterful job of envoking so many potent emotions that the sheer variety of sensations made it riveting. Such a collage of ontology, teleology, hope, dread, religion, metaphysics and etheral imagary that you really felt like you were seeing something quite extraordinary.

Then to dilute all that teriffic work building such a visceral mood by bringing it down to the base level of some guy running around stabbing people with an electric screwdriver. Such a waste made me sick to my stomach.
                  Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

They probably consulted NASA about why the sun might prematurally be in serious danger, but either they got bad advice about the rest or just didn't bother to ask. (Q-Ball. Okay, it's possible. I had no problem with this, despite not knowing anything about a Q-Ball or why the sun was in danger while watching the movie.)

They certainly had artificial gravity. There are numerous hints that this is the case, the most important is when Capa and Mace enter the airlock in freefall then suddenly slam to the floor.

But once you've invented gravity generators, you've opened the door to a whole new plethora of neat inventions that are too useful not to use. They could have used a gravity generator to pull all 3 men directly from the other ship through the airlock. They could have used gravity generators to force sunlight in paths around the ship. Etc.

But that's fine. There were also a lot of little implausibles, such as:
                    - Only one oxygen garden. No backup plants. Not even in crew quarters? Corazon doesn't have a nice fern over her bed? And a packet of seeds in her underwear drawer? She's got months, apparently. Start taking cuttings!
                    - Depending on open liquid-cooled chambers to keep their mainframe from burning up. This is such a phenomenly bad idea in a gravity generated environment. And why does Mace have to dive in to manually drop the computer? Who designed this thing, Aquaman?
                    - Shields that angle toward the sun... someone tell me why they need to be angled, I can't think of a reason, other than perhaps to make sure the heat spread evenly...? No, that's silly. And since we're talking about heat, where does the heat go? It has to go someplace...or Capa and Kaneda would have burned to a crisp the moment they stepped on it.
                    - Slingshot around Mars. Purpose? Maybe to attune their direction? Doubtful. And from their little video they played, they zoom around that little thing about 10 times before they continue. But I dunno, if they can change their heading anyway, why bother? Take pictures, maybe?
                    - If the payload is big enough to generate gravity, which I'm sure is what we're seeing when the sun-dude dropped Capa and Cassie off the edge and they end up landing about half-way down, then.. everything with that scene is wrong. You don't walk up to edge at right angles. It's like climbing a hill (or the roof of a house) and walking down the other side. A hill that gets steeper as you go, until you're on your hands and knees trying not to slide back down.
                    - Rendezvousing with Icarus I.. impossible. Slow to a stop then get going again. Not gonna happen. See below.
                    - A fire prevention system that depends on water. In space. Good lord.

Okay, probably the biggest technical beef here, and it starts like this. You don't fly toward the sun. You don't sail toward the sun. You don't take a leisurely journey toward the sun's surface, pause while you mix yourself a martini, calmly detach yourself from the payload, then happily thrust away. No more than you would step off the empire state building and take a nice leisurely stroll towards the ground.

The sun's gravity is ferocious and it's yanking down on you, hard. I didn't see any kind of thruster pointing at the sun, so they weren't doing any breaking. Slowed on radiation pressure? It's possible but solar sails only work when you've got a tiny little ship and a ginormous paper-thin sail to reflect the light. Not a payload bigger than rhode island.

The only way this would work is if you fall toward the sun, aiming to slingshot around it and back toward Earth. You drop the payload somewhere along the way. Yeah, the payload is going really frickin fast, but I believe it was meant to go fast anyway. I remember him saying space/time is too difficult to predict at such speeds.

And the fuel they would require to thrust themselves back to earth, from a standstill within reaching distance of the sun is.... well, they'd need more than my minivan could carry.

And now for the good part: I liked this movie. I've watched it 3 times. For me it was entertaining. But I really would like to see someone build a real story letting the rules guide the characters, rather than making up stuff to fit the story. But then, as someone already mentioned, this would have been an unmanned mission anyway. Oh well.

PS: Mission to Mars was atrocious. That "Gee I can't fly any closer to you because my computer has computed the farthest distance my thrusters will allow me to get back but I can still shoot my hooky thing toward you and that will allow me to tug you back using the exact same amount of fuel and let's completely disregard momentum and inertia and all those other tricky words" movie.

PSS: Oh man, I forgot the most ridiculous implausibility! The burnt dude got the drop on Michelle Yeoh. Are you kidding me? She would've kicked his jazz up one side of the ship and down the other. Blind-folded and one armed tied down her throat.
                    Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Working...
                    X