Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Colverfield" Actually "The Monstrous"?

It's been revealed that Paramount Pictures bought the web domain TheMonstrousMovie.com (nothing is up yet) on June 8th while an apparent teaser poster of sorts has surfaced featuring the word "Monstrous". Is this the final title for the J.J. Abrams-produced monster-iffic flick? Only time will tell. Click here to check out the news.

Re: "Colverfield" Actually "The Monstrous"?

I'm assuming so. The poster depicts a headless statue of liberty standing in front of a smoking new york skyline, I'd imagine it's the aftermath of what's shown in the teaser trailer.

Can't wait to see what it's all about.
    d i r g e

Sorsha: "What are you looking at?"
    Madmartigan: "Your leg... I'd like to break it."

Comment

Originally posted by Dirge View Post
      Can't wait to see what it's all about.

More or less, the film is about a group of young friends/people trying to survive an apparent apocalyptic attack by some kind of monster in New York City...obviously.

Comment

Smartass

I mean I can't wait to find out what the deal with the monster(s) is. There's an interesting theory posted at themovieblog.com

In Jewish belief, Behemoth is the primal unconquerable monster of the land, as Leviathan is the primal monster of the waters of the sea and Ziz the primordial monster of the sky.

1) The first monster roar is accompanied by an earthquake (Behemoth)
        2) The second monster roar is accompanied by a huge fireball (Leviathan, for it can breathe fire)
        3) The third monster roar is accompanied by the flying Statue of Liberty head (Ziz).

Not convinced?

The guy who says "maybe we can get a better view from the roof" has the Slusho logo on his shirt. Slusho is a classic J.J. Abrams icon, and it has appeared in both Alias and Lost, which are his shows.

Slusho.jp has, by now, been confirmed as a part of the viral marketing campaign revolving around 1-18-08. Japan. Strangely enough, the character Rob, who is present in the trailer, was gonna fly to Japan a day after that party and the monster events.

Let's have a look around on that site. Not all pages are accessible. But there is an odd feature about the pages that are available. The main page background is on land, the Downloads page background is on air, and the History page background is on sea.

Furthermore, the six buttons on the main page cause popups of various animals, namely a Horse, a Whale and a Bird. Behemoth, Leviathan, Ziz.
        In my opinion, this is the most solid theory on the "monster" I've read so far. A better theory than Voltron, a giant lion, Rampage game-to-film, or a pissed off Chuck Norris, at least
        d i r g e

Comment

don't care! I'm there on opening day.

Comment

Yeah, you can count me in for opening day too.

Also, Abrams is at ComicCon on Thursday, so hopefully he'll spill some more beans on this thing.

One can hope, anyway.

Comment

It is kind of an odd choice to release the film on January 18, 2008...I mean, January isn't exactly a month that spells box office success in most cases. "Monstrous" seems more like a summer-type release.

Comment

There are too many big budget blockbusters next summer that could potentially dwarf Monstrous' less than monstrous $30m budget.

300 was released early this year (March?) and it was very well received, and considering the hype surrounding this project I imagine the release date won't matter so much in the long run. People are gonna see it just to figure out what the heck it is.
                d i r g e

Comment

Originally posted by Dirge View Post
                  There are too many big budget blockbusters next summer that could potentially dwarf Monstrous' less than monstrous $30m budget.

300 was released early this year (March?) and it was very well received, and considering the hype surrounding this project I imagine the release date won't matter so much in the long run. People are gonna see it just to figure out what the heck it is.

True. It just seems that January and February are the months where studios dump their films that they have little to no confidence in.

Comment

I dunno, it could just be that they wanna save the prime slots during summer for those movies they've invested a lot of money in. They're more likely to make a larger profit on the higher budget movies during the summer than earlier in the year, so releasing Monstrous in Janruary is probably just Paramount leaving the gates open for their more costly projects to reign over the summer box office.
                    d i r g e

Comment

Okay, so here is the latest regarding the project. At Comic Con, it's been revealed that "Monstrous" is also NOT the title of the film and that in the next six months we will see a full trailer, more posters and more various footage released before its January 18, 2008 release (...well, that would seem obvious). J.J. Abrams briefly spoke about the project at Comic Con today, saying that the goal here is to make a very intense, genuine "American monster movie" - to give the US a big building destroying monster in the way the Japanese have Godzilla.

On a side note, Entertainment Weekly has stated that the monster itself in the movie is NOT a parasite nor a "colossal Asian robot", either. Click here to check out a clear and bigger version of the teaser poster.

And, yes, Greg Grunberg will have a cameo in the movie which will continue his long line of appearing in anything J.J. Abrams is behind in any capacity.

Comment

It has to be an invading alien, because what else would take a pause to knock the block off of the welcoming arms of Lady Liberty?

Oh, wait... she has her back turned. Bitch.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                        X