Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Color of Top Grossing Movies

And there are some absolutely classic 40's and 50's albums that look like CRAP - which does totally diffuse your argument, if only because most of the covers back then were extremely bland.
    I disagree. I find many of the album covers from different eras to be extremely cool. My definition of cool does take the era into account, so while the covers may be bland and uninspired by today's standards, or to those of us who have seen a bit, at the time, they were cool.

As for nostalgia, you got me wrong. I listen to the new stuff and my theory still holds weight, to me and many others.

Obviously the examples I've used are well known b/c I don't know exactly who I'm speaking to here and I'm assuming that most people here aren't aware of bands like Fugazi, The Tragically Hip or albums like Fair Warning.

Well, we can agree to disagree, I've heard the argument before as have you. I've yet to come across an album that I thought had a great cover and weak music, or a weak cover and great music. I guess it's a matter of opinion, subjective and all that. Works for me, not for you. Peace.

Comment

Maybe it's just because I live in LA but movie posters are almost inescapable. They're on billboards, buses, bus stops, plastered all over the sides of buildings, in movie theater lobbies, shopping malls, and just about every other inch of free space. And the key art then influences everything else from the trailer to online advertising and yes, sometimes though not always the DVD boxart.

If you go to the Apple trailers page you'll see that the movies are presented first and foremost by their key art. If the poster for a movie you've never heard of catches your eye and gets you to watch the trailer then it has done its job.

It's funny to see people mention newspaper ads and TV spots. I suppose they may still have some effect on the over 40 crowd but the bulk of the actual moviegoing audience knows how to use a Tivo these days .

Of course the idea that a poster's color palette has any bearing on the box office is just as ludicrous as the assertion that movie posters are obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. Bauhaus View Post
        Maybe it's just because I live in LA but movie posters are almost inescapable. They're on billboards, buses, bus stops, plastered all over the sides of buildings, in movie theater lobbies, shopping malls, and just about every other inch of free space. And the key art then influences everything else from the trailer to online advertising and yes, sometimes though not always the DVD boxart.
        Well, if you class every single print media as a "movie poster", then I guess that opens it up to pretty well anything. Personally, I don't think that multi-panel ad for Captivity to be a "movie poster", but you seem to, and I think that's where we difffer.

I never said physical/print/billboard ads were obsolete, only the actual MOVIE POSTER, as displayed at theaters.

Comment

OK dude.

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. Bauhaus View Post
            It's funny to see people mention newspaper ads and TV spots. I suppose they may still have some effect on the over 40 crowd but the bulk of the actual moviegoing audience knows how to use a Tivo these days .
            Well, if "TV spots" don't interest people in seeing a movie, someone in Hollywood is wasting a gazillion bucks on TV advertising. And I try to catch the movie spots on TV, not avoid them. Sometimes, context tells you more things than merely "Oh! The new trailer is on this website, lets go download and argue on a fanboy site!" etc.

Who's seeing that TV spot, or magazine ad etc, and in what context?

It makes a difference to me whether a movie is advertised on LOST, or on ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER. Or in PEOPLE vs TIME or VANITY FAIR.

I'd suggest that movies' mainstream success ot failure depend more on how they're marketed OUTSIDE L.A. than inside L.A.

The old "Remember, there is an America between the Coasts" debate ...
            sigpic
            "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
            that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Working...
            X