Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I DARE watch a UWE BOLL film?

I never saw any of this man's films. Now that I've heard so many people complain about him, I'm curious to see JUST how bad he is.

( I already know about the boxing, so he already seems like a twit )

Re: Do I DARE watch a UWE BOLL film?

What I think irks most people (movie fans) about Boll is this:

-He does not regard film making as an art
    -He does not respect the source material (video games) he uses
    -He has an ego the size of Mars

Most of these traits people can deal with individually. But he just crams them all together and it grates on people's nerves, more or less.

Also, while he is a competent director... That is he has completed enough films to not be an amateur... He is not a particularly talented one when all is said and done. This is where his ego hurts him more than anything because he keeps proclaiming he is going to be the next Wolfgang Peterson. Far from it...

His direction is standard and sometimes not even that good. He doesn't know how to film fight sequences ("Bloodrayne") properly and basically turns what could be really cool adaptations into DTV, D-Grade, late night schlock fests. This is why I said he doesn't respect his source material, nor the fans of the source material.
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

I've never seen any of his movies but I thought a major reason people hate him is that his movies are generally only made due to the weird German film financing schemes and tax loopholes.

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. Bauhaus View Post
        I've never seen any of his movies but I thought a major reason people hate him is that his movies are generally only made due to the weird German film financing schemes and tax loopholes.
        True.

But that's also the point.

He's not making these movies because he is a fan of the source material, or because he loves cinema (although, I'm sure he would proclaim the exact opposite).

If he was, he'd take a lot more time and care into HOW he makes these movies.

Ironically, I don't think any of Boll's movies have ever made a profit. And I don't think they have to because he's self-financing through the things you listed.

Maybe if he WAS beholden to a studio he would be forced to improve his craft... But I highly doubt it. I just feel he is not a very talented director and is more content with cranking out bad movies than having no movies at all.

Paul Anderson might be his long lost cousin... But at least Paul Anderson IS a fan of the properties he tried to adapt even if they weren't that successful overall (critically, or at the box office). Again, at least PA respects the source material a hell of a lot more than Boll. To Boll it is merely a means to an end and I think audiences know this and it offends them on some level. And it should, IMO...
        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

I say yes, watch one. see what all the fuss is about. one is usually enough.

Comment

The dungeon sex scene in Bloodrayne is so hilariously bad it's worth seeing.

Comment

I like the fact that he can't be stopped. No matter how many awful movies he makes, and no matter how many people hate him and try to stop him, you just can't! He knows he's terrible, he knows people hate him, but he doesn't care and doesn't stop.

I actually want to see Postal, it looks to be one of the most tasteless movies ever, and I'm boggled by the fact that he is actually unleashing it upon America. What gets me is how he scores distribution. I understand his funding, but c'mon, American companies are willingly putting this dreck upon the public. I love it. He just proves that if you really want to do something, you can, even when people are fastidiously trying to stop you.

Comment

I woulld also pick BLOOD RAYNE - because it is so inept, and has so many talented actors (plus competent actors who have done good work elsewhere) that yiou just want to track Boll down and kill him for screwing up something that should have been easy. Oh, and they spent money on all kinds of cool production value things - castles and costumes and horses. I saw the film at Austin with Boll talking before and after - and it was all I could do not to kill him.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by SCanfield View Post
                  What gets me is how he scores distribution. I understand his funding, but c'mon, American companies are willingly putting this dreck upon the public.
                  I'm sure his movies make a little bit of money for the distributors and he probably sells the distribution rights for nothing. The whole point of the scam is that his movies don't actually cost anything near the reported budget. That german tax loophole is now closed but apparently he's still working on a big slate of movies that went into production before the laws were changed so the old rules still apply. At least that's my interpretation of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                    Oh, and they spent money on all kinds of cool production value things - castles and costumes and horses.
                    Do horses and castles actually cost anything in Germany though?

Comment

Horses & cattle: I could drive a mile down Riverside in Burbank and find a stable filled with horses. There are cowboys down there.

I don't know how many stables there are in Germany - maybe a lot. You'd still need trained horses and riders.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Oops, it was actually shot in Romania.

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. Bauhaus View Post
                          Oops, it was actually shot in Romania.
                          The whores in Meatloaf's pad were actually hookers Boll bought from a pimp, cheaper than actresses I guess...His Q&A's are awesome, I'm so at the Postal premier here in Austin because he's doing a Q&A

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
                            I never saw any of this man's films. Now that I've heard so many people complain about him, I'm curious to see JUST how bad he is.

( I already know about the boxing, so he already seems like a twit )
                            He's bad.

You have been warned!
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

As someone who likes this kind of thing, I really liked House of the Dead. I'm not saying that it's a good horror film, but it's definitely wild entertainment if you're open to WTF? filmmaking. There's an unhinged vibe going down with it that seems less calculated than in Alone in the Dark and BloodRayne.

What else can you say about a flick where it takes a cop getting cut in half to make a young couple realize that they're hot for each other... so they start sucking face standing next to the body (well, not really a body... somehow the half-a-cop shows up as a military officer in the sequel).

Besides, in a world where middlebrow wank like Wild Hogs and Knocked Up sit at the top of the box office for weeks, Uwe Boll is welcome relief. At least he knows that his adaptations of bargain bin video games start and end as crap. And he seems cool with it.
                              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                              X