Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiretapping in Cinema (and TV)

You guys should watch The Wire on HBO. Fantastic show that seems to have a very realistic take on surveillance. Perhaps too realistic. The general audience finds this show to be way too boring and have stayed away.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
      I disagree as if the film is supposed to be set in a realistic world or in a reality that's supposed to be our own, I like things to be as accurate to real life as possible. I think it would be awesome and quite an interesting/refreshing change to finally see a space battle or just space in general with no sound (except for inside ships or shuttles, obviously). Films like "2001" actually do portray space realistically even though they are set in a fictional future.
      Wouldn't that be a fictional past???

In any event, I'm glad you prefer "realism" in your movies.

Guess I'm different. I like excitement, drama, entertainment, etc.

If that comes in along with "realism" then great. If not, I don't mind so much.

And FWIW, I'd rather watch all the phony explosions and space battles in STAR WARS than the over long, drawn out "real" sequences in 2001 (that aren't so real anyway).

Comment

Michael Mann's movies are pretty accurate when it comes to this stuff. In terms of establishing a standard of accuracy when it comes to films—good luck, mainstream news isn't even accurate these days. It barely passes as news unless you think Paris Hilton is newsworthy. If so, please kill yourself.

Comment

The other side of the issue is there are things film makers SHOULDN'T put in a film just to make it realistic.

I am talking about real life surveillance equipment and procedures just like you don't want to put real life battle tactics and other sensitive pieces of information in movies because the enemy has access to the same movie.

This is why when video games, TV and movies hire consultants the consultants consciously NEVER include up-to-date, real time equipment and procedures.

So, just remember that wiretapping sequence and piece of high tech spy equipment you saw used in "MI:3" is probably two generations old by now and they've already come out with something that does what it did only now it's five times faster, weighs less and is much smaller.
          Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
            In any event, I'm glad you prefer "realism" in your movies. Guess I'm different. I like excitement, drama, entertainment, etc.

I like realism along with excitement, drama and entertainment; there is no reason why you can't have both.

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
            The other side of the issue is there are things film makers SHOULDN'T put in a film just to make it realistic.

I am talking about real life surveillance equipment and procedures just like you don't want to put real life battle tactics and other sensitive pieces of information in movies because the enemy has access to the same movie.

This is why when video games, TV and movies hire consultants the consultants consciously NEVER include up-to-date, real time equipment and procedures.

So, just remember that wiretapping sequence and piece of high tech spy equipment you saw used in "MI:3" is probably two generations old by now and they've already come out with something that does what it did only now it's five times faster, weighs less and is much smaller.

Well, I suppose that may be true but I still like to have an at least decent amount of realism and or authenticity in a film portraying a reality that is supposed to be our own.
            Last edited by j over; 08-22-2007, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post

Sounds like bovine-faece to me.

Stuff is in movies because it is dramatic. Period. Do you think 'Alias' is inaccurate because they chose to not include real procedures for the sake of security ?! It's innaccurate because they care about entertainment - not accuracy.

If you are 'the enemy' (whoever that is) and want to see the latest surveillance equipment, then you wouldn't go to a movie - you'd go to the
              security expo and have a look at all the booths of people trying to sell you the latest equipment.

Your example of Mission Impossible is odd - Mission impossible had an implausible plot - and the most famous sequence involved a bizarre plan to get around a wonderfully STUPID security system. (eg: A hyper-protected room which happened to not have any security cameras. The simplest camera with a motion detection algorithm would have stopped the bizarre attack - rather than millions on the floor, which would false trigger due to condensation or a flea! (Cost of $2k .v. $500k) Also - the room was apparently sealed (thus the alarm was on) but the non-integrated system didn't care that someone logged in from a terminal in a room that officially no-one was in??? (That kind of security is pretty trivial - just linking the two systems)

There are two theories here:
              1. The writers and security consultants did that bizarre sequence as a clever method for foiling terrorists ... or ....
              2. They did it because it was dramatic and looked really cool

I know which option I'm choosing.

Mac
              New blogposts:
              *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
              *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
              *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
              *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

We get the fact being dramatic takes precedence over accuracy. That's a no brainer.

All I was trying to remind readers of is whenever you watch something, or play a game that claims "uses the most up-to-date tactics, techniques and equipment in use today" that it is a bald faced lie for precisely the reason I said above: Security.
                Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

There's no such thing as reality, it is in fact socially constructed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_...ion_of_reality

Comment

Working...
                  X