No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rob Zombie's "Halloween"

Originally posted by Writing is Fart View Post
    I wouldn't put much stalk in that review. Can you say fan boys?
    Actually I'd take their review over anything Roger Ebert would dish out. As far as horror is concerned they are more legit then your average critic.

Horror films is what these guys do for a living.
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
      Actually I'd take their review over anything Roger Ebert would dish out. As far as horror is concerned they are more legit then your average critic.

I'd trust Roger Ebert over anyone who is as rabid and totally one-sided as many of the "fanboys" are.

Comment

Originally posted by VanekSF1
        Say if Rob Zombie wanted to direct one of your scripts no matter the genre, would you let him?

I wouldn't as he would not be right for any material by me.

Comment

That's funny... I had an LA aquaintence offer to hook a specific script of mine up with Zombie. I was open to it because, well... why not? It's not as if he would have taken the script and made it into something it already wasn't.

But it turned out the dude was no longer as tight with Zombie as he thought he was, and that was that.

So, yeah... I'd let him take a script off of my hands.

Just because I didn't like his remake doesn't mean I think that he lacks talent.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
            The problem with remakes is that they have to stand up against the original. And they offer nothing new (unless they screw them up).

Still haven't seen HALLOWEEN (remake) but having read a review or two, it seems like they screwed up one of the great things about the original - that Michael Myers was a typical suburban kid... like your little brother or the kid who lives across the street from you... who just goes bad and kills people. By setting the story in a quiet suburban town instead of a haunted house, it became very unsettling - this wasn't horror someplace else, this was horror in the place we thought was safe. This was a killer who we would easily invite into our homes (as a kid) and a killer who *could be us* or *someone we know* as an adult. Not some crazed maniac - a quiet kid from a good home.
            Absolutely. The creepiest films I've seen are the ones that feel like they could "really" happen. Espc. when the killer just seems like a normal guy, not some kind of swamp mutant.

That's one of the reasons I can't watch season one of MillenniuM. Creeped the hell out of me.
            "Can't we have one meeting that doesn't end with digging up a corpse?" -- Mayor Quimby

"You've watched it! You can't unwatch it!" -- Narrator

Comment

Originally posted by VanekSF1
              Say if Rob Zombie wanted to direct one of your scripts no matter the genre, would you let him?
              My writing partner loves Rob Zombie so she'd probably say yes, but I'd have to say no. So, then we'd have to come up with a compromise:

Rob Zombie could direct the remake if he really wanted too
              "Can't we have one meeting that doesn't end with digging up a corpse?" -- Mayor Quimby

"You've watched it! You can't unwatch it!" -- Narrator

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                I'd trust Roger Ebert over anyone who is as rabid and totally one-sided as many of the "fanboys" are.
                LOL who's rabid? - and Roger Ebert is a gay prude.

The guys at Bloody-Disgusting know what they're talking about when they say... HALLOWEEN 2007 sucks!!!

Exactly how does that make them fanboys?
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                  LOL who's rabid? - and Roger Ebert is a gay prude.

The guys at Bloody-Disgusting know what they're talking about when they say... HALLOWEEN 2007 sucks!!!

Well, while we simply disagree on Roger Ebert, I agree with Bloody-Disgusting's review of "Halloween" (although just because they are horror-centric does not make them any more valid at critiquing the genre than anyone else).

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                    That's funny... I had an LA aquaintence offer to hook a specific script of mine up with Zombie. I was open to it because, well... why not? It's not as if he would have taken the script and made it into something it already wasn't.

But it turned out the dude was no longer as tight with Zombie as he thought he was, and that was that.

So, yeah... I'd let him take a script off of my hands.

Just because I didn't like his remake doesn't mean I think that he lacks talent.
                    I'm sure anyone who's in their right mind, and who's tinkering with writing horror would allow Zombie to take a script off their hands.

It would definately break you into the industry - and give you the push you need, especially if Zombie managed to gross $32,060,491 domestically as he did with Halloween (according to Boxoffice Mojo). It still opened at number 1 despite a healthy number of critics canning it.
                    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 09-06-2007, 02:06 AM.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

(although just because they are horror-centric does not make them any more valid at critiquing the genre than anyone else).
                      I'd say that running a horror movie website for the past five years - interviewing directors, actors, writers and reviewing films specifically from that genre, all day everyday, would have to give you a decent amount of clout with your opinions on what makes a good horror film.

But you are right, in the sense that you can't agree with everything the critics say, no matter where they're from. And to be honest I haven't seen Halloween yet so I personally can't say if its any good.

And also -- I'm not a fan of film critics for the very reason -- it's their opinion, not mine. Best way to judge a film is to see it for yourself.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

By the by, Roger Ebert gave the original "Halloween" four stars.

Comment

By the by, Roger Ebert gave the original "Halloween" four stars.
                          Yeah but we're talking about the remake here...aren't we?

Plus no one can deny the original was (and probably still is) the best?
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

It appears word-of-mouth and a mostly negative criticial response affected the performance of "Halloween" this weekend, dropping 61.9% in tickets sales and bringing in just $10 million dollars for second place.

Comment

Working...
                            X