The most perfect third act in film history.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The most perfect third act in film history.

SHAFT'S BIG SCORE... seriously.

I just saw DEATH SENTENCE and the third act completely saved that movie.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

JAWS say no more.
      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I don't know about perfect, but the films with third acts I liked: LA Confidential, Aliens, Jaws, Batman (love that joker!), Chinatown, Messiah of Evil, and Paranoiac.
          "Can't we have one meeting that doesn't end with digging up a corpse?" -- Mayor Quimby

"You've watched it! You can't unwatch it!" -- Narrator

Comment

In all honesty, I'd say Se7en.

That last act totally took me by suprise, I was speechless, when Morgan Freeman opened that box. I tried to scream alongside the audience, but only silence came out. I knew then and there, that this was an ending like no other film. Ever!

The build up to that final scene was genius on Fincher's part, because he crafted it so brilliantly.

Secondly was The Sixth Sense for obvious reasons. The twist caught everybody off guard.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I would have to agree with the poster who said Back to the Future. Big laughs, big thrills, heartwarming moments. It brings it all together so perfectly. And is it just me, or do you still get nervous toward the end when Marty is driving toward the clock tower and Doc is trying to connect the wires?

I've always loved this movie because I dig time travel stories, but as I grow older, I'm really starting to look upon it as perfect.
              Goonies never say die!

Comment

Originally posted by earlyman75 View Post
                I've always loved this movie because I dig time travel stories, but as I grow older, I'm really starting to look upon it as perfect.
                Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find any obvious flaws with that script. It was a genius plot on Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis' behalf.

I still watch them every few years or so.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Oh, and a movie that only has an amazing third act... Straw Dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by earlyman75 View Post
                    I would have to agree with the poster who said Back to the Future. Big laughs, big thrills, heartwarming moments. It brings it all together so perfectly. And is it just me, or do you still get nervous toward the end when Marty is driving toward the clock tower and Doc is trying to connect the wires?

Well, Back to the Future is an awesome movie. Even the second and third ones are great... even if they get worse with each sequel compared to the first.

I think that The Prestige, like someone else said, has a pretty kickass third act. That movie in general was great, but all those reveals at the end were awesome...

Seven takes it for me though. That was pretty clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                      What do you believe it is?

I'll throw out a few nominations off the top of my head:

Se7en
                      The Exorcist
                      Spoorloos
                      Rear Window
                      Unforgiven
                      Boogie Nights
                      American Beauty

Your thoughts?
                      All great ones. I love ON THE WATERFRONT, LAST OF THE MOHICANS, COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, & 12 ANGRY MEN as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

Paranoiac
                        Nice mention.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kevan View Post
                          Don't you guys mean the *Perfect Reversal* or Twist or Deus Ex Machina? Rather than a 3rd Act, right?

Or do you guys mean a *perfect 3rd Act* with a *perfect reversal* and perfect *denuemont*?

If that's what you mean, I'd have to say The Prestige. I've not seen the movie but read the screenplay and that's a pretty good Deus Ex Machina, in the 3rd Act, with a twist in the reversal, denuemont, ending thing...
                          THE PRESTIGE wasn't deus.

Watch the film twice and you can pick the many set-ups for it throughout.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X