Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Show Remakes To Film In Development

George Clooney in the lead role for the remake film "Magnum P.I."? Or how about Nicolas Cage or even Matthew McConaughey? Nick Cage with a big mustache?

What gives with Hollywood these days? Baby Boomer studio execs gone wild!!

Other rumored remakes "A-Team", "Green Acres", "Nightrider", "I Dream of Jeannie", "Dallas" (comedy now), "Sharsky and Hutch" (released)...any more?

Are these remakes targeted to both younger generation viewers and to nostalgic-laden boomers? Yes. A younger audience for those curiosity seekers and for those who are hooked on syndication reruns (TV LAND Channel) AND those boomers living for yesterday's more innocent entertainment.

Both audiences are bound to be disappointed.

Re: TV Show Remakes To Film In Development

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about old tv shows being developed into feature films. I think the last one I saw was Bewitched. Not too bad, but nothing like the show.

The only tv show to film project I'm looking forward to is Dark Shadows in 2010. I think Johnny Depp can handle it. So, I'm not too worry about it being screwed up.

I might like an A-Team movie. But who can beat Mr. T?
    "Can't we have one meeting that doesn't end with digging up a corpse?" -- Mayor Quimby

"You've watched it! You can't unwatch it!" -- Narrator

Comment

I'm working on a violent, hard edged action version of MY MOTHER THE CAR...

Actually, someone ought to do either Mr. TERRIFIC or CAPTAIN NICE - two superhero parody shows that made fun of BATMAN back in the day. Though both are just childhood memories at this point (and may suck), I remember jokes from both that still make me chuckle (especially NICE - one show featured an evil big city contractor who made an entire bridge out of *oatmeal* because it was cheaper than cement, and the pilot had the hero telling his mother (he still lived at home) that he could do something birds could do, to which she replied that he'd better line the apartment floor with newspapers.). I was a little kid when this show aired, but I still remember those gags.

The worse thing you can do is remake an old TV show and just get it completely wrong - like MOD SQUAD or WILD WILD WEST.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Sledgehammer lock thread
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

The worst for me is Mission Impossible. Oh, sorry I mean MI.

At least the stupid campy fun remakes like Starsky and Hutch revel in the nostalgia and in doing so show a true love for the source material. Just borrowing a title and a classic theme song and then doing something that's completely unrelated to the original show is the height of laziness.

But yeah, people have been complaining about this for years. It's nothing new. Green Hornet, Transformers, Addams Family, Beverly Hillbillies, Brady Bunch, Scooby Doo, Fat Albert, Inspector Gadget, Flinstones, and on and on and on.

I want to see live action versions of the Snorks, Grape Ape, and Jabberjaw. Maybe we'll know that the superhero trend has finally run out of steam if an Electra Woman and Dyna Girl movie comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
            The worse thing you can do is remake an old TV show and just get it completely wrong - like MOD SQUAD or WILD WILD WEST.

I must admit, there are several things about 1999's "The Mod Squad" that I'm a fan of (the cast, the style, the score). Still, it overall is not a solid adaptation and more than ditto on "Wild Wild West".

Comment

I'd like to see Michael Mann do a Miami Vice sequel but since Jackass 2 had better numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by Authorized View Post
                Nick Cage with a big mustache?

http://img459.imageshack.us/my.php?i...agecopypl7.jpg

Comment

Only Tom Selleck can play Magnum. Why go back in time and milk the past. I think there's a large enough audience that would be interested to see what Magnum is doing now.

Glen, give me a call. I've got an outline.

Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. Bauhaus View Post
                    At least the stupid campy fun remakes like Starsky and Hutch revel in the nostalgia and in doing so show a true love for the source material.
                    I can't put an "At least" and Starsky & Hutch remake in the same sentence. That film blew chunks for me. Found Stiller quite annoying in that one.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

How can you say mocking a show like S&H is an act of showing love for the source material?

Comment

Jack Black stars in Manimal ...

Comment

Originally posted by DramaKing View Post
                          How can you say mocking a show like S&H is an act of showing love for the source material?
                          Because the creators of the movie were obviously fans of the show and the original actors even appear at the end. If it's impossible to take a show seriously then there are only two choices. You can "udpate" it until the remake bears no resemblance to the original series and shows no understanding of what made the original fun or popular. Or you can choose to not take the original too seriously, leave it mostly intact and poke fun at it in a loving way. Well actually the third and obviously best option is just to leave it the f*ck alone.

Comment

Working...
                          X