No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Gangster

I liked it

can't say they couldn't trim a bit. I understand having two (former) heavyweights demands at least 30 min extra screen time for character and background development, but still

otherwise, Denzel and Russel deliver their standard performance, but in a good way. Perhaps I enjoyed it because i never heard of black gangster throwing italians, so it was fresh (for me)

overall, watchable film (which I can't say for 90% of titles coming out HW) if you don't mind gangster thrillers that run 140m

Re: American Gangster

Is this a remake of BLACK CEASAR?

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I'm pretty sure BLACK CEASAR was based on the same guy - using all of the newspaper stories when he was busted back in 1973.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
        Is this a remake of BLACK CEASAR?

- Bill
        I think Nicky Barnes was? I read his book, not too bad, a badder ass than Lucas actually was and I think Lucas worked for Barnes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leroy_Barnes
        "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Lucas and Barnes never worked together, but knew of one another. Lucas worked for Bumpy Johnson ("Hoodlum") as his driver.

Comment

I like Crowe, despite his flabby ego and antics. I mean, ya gotta give credit to a guy who headbutted his way to the top.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Russell Crowe, though a douchenozzle, is one of the top 3 best living actors.
              Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

What about former Harlem drug kingpin Frank Matthews??? He came right after Frank Lucas -- late-'60s. The feds must be very flustered by the fact that Frank Matthews jumped bail, took some $20m big boys with him, and is still on the lam...prolly in S America.

http://crimemagazine.com/07/harlem-g...s-7,0218-7.htm
                Last edited by Kid Rasta; 10-18-2007, 08:35 AM.

Comment

**Some Spoilers**

I saw a screening today, and I have to day I was actually disappointed. It's such a great story, but there is absolutely no fizz to it. For giving Harlem so much living, breathing color, it's amazing that no one noticed that the two main characters are essentially dull as dishwater.

A much better film could have come from losing most of the begining and focusing more on the investigation into corruption at the end. After all that's what the film was really about, that these two guys were the same in most respects. They both hated liars, cheaters and thieves. There was a real crackle when they finally got on screen together near the 2.5 hour mark, made me sick they didn't do it an hour previous.
                  Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Todd McCarthy's review in Variety is online. Called it "good but not great."

Says Denzel is fantastic but that Russell is miscast and, to a certain extent, so is Ridley behind the camera. (Certainly no more than with A GOOD YEAR, but we'll not get into that....)

Also notes the runtime of 157 minutes definitely is felt overall.

Too bad. Had high hopes for this one.

Comment

man so many mixed reviews on this film. i've been waiting for it for a few years since i read the article on Frank Lucas.

i'm hoping it's not as dull as the trailer makes it seem.
                      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                      X