Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocked Up - DVD release

To recap: I despise and rail against THE-40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN every chance I get. Don't understand / will never understand its appeal / success.

That said...

I loved this movie. Loved it.

Mammoth 2:13 run time didn't bother me once. Just a really sweet, touching, laugh-out-loud funny pic.

You did it, Judd, you glorious bastard!

Re: Knocked Up - DVD release

For a second I thought I missed out on buying the DVD this past Tuesday.

I just bought Death Proof and Family Guy Season 5 pt. 1, and I'm sure I would've seen Knocked Up on the new release shelf.
    Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Oops. Sorry. My bad. Just jumping the gun by a few days.

Comment

I guess 40 Year Old Virgin was cute, but I too cannot see how it garnered the accolades and success it did. I'm not entirely sure if I like or even get Steve Carell.

I can tolerate him in The Office and he is sometimes funny, in a stiff American humor kind of way. However, I still think the onesheet for 40 year old virgin was more awesome than the film.

Knocked up though was the best comedy in years. Very real and very honest. Brutally honest in some instances.
        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Is today opposite day or something? I seriously worry about anyone who thought Knocked Up was a better movie than Virgin.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
            I guess 40 Year Old Virgin was cute, but I too cannot see how it garnered the accolades and success it did. I'm not entirely sure if I like or even get Steve Carell.
            I think Carell is funny, but yes, I came out the theatre thinking I wasted money. The only reason why it did so well is because comedy is as hard as two day old turd. Any flick in this genre that rises even slightly above curb level is bound to make an "impact" these days.

And people want to laugh more than anything else when they go the movies.
            "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
            -Maya Angelou

Comment

I haven't seen knocked up, but you'd have to be minus a funny bone not to get 40 Year Old Virgin.
              Craft maximises talent

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. Bauhaus View Post
                Is today opposite day or something? I seriously worry about anyone who thought Knocked Up was a better movie than Virgin.
                I'd same the same about you, P.G.

Comment

40YV was disappointing for me. I cannot, for the love of me, remember one joke from that movie that made me laugh. I would've actually welcomed a full blown slapstick approach, given the premise and the lead actor.

So far, the Apatow prod that has made me laugh the most is ANCHORMAN, but I know I'm in the minority.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Anchorman was excellent. My favorite of the broad, silly Will Farrell movies. And I didn't even know Apatow had anything to do with it until recently so my opinion wasn't colored by my Freaks and Geeks fanboyism.

Comment

But seriously to the many people who obviously prefer K.U. to 40, what didn't you like about 40yrold? To me it was funnier, sweeter, more realistic, and more daring. Knocked Up just seemed like a watered down continuation of a similar idea. Plus Steve Carell and Catherine Keener are about 10 times the actors that Seth Rogan and Katherine Heigl are. I could understand somebody not liking the overall Apatow sensibility or maybe slightly favoring Knocked Up over Virgin but I really don't understand where the people are coming from who hate one and love the other.

Looking back on some old 40YrOldVirg threads (I wasn't here at the time) there are apparently some Done Deal members who actually preferred the Wedding Crashers to Virgin. The Wedding Crashers. So apparently there is no accounting for taste.

Comment

from Apatow's Wiki Page

In fall of 2006, Apatow produced the film Superbad, which was written by Seth Rogen and his writing partner Evan Goldberg.

Apatow first convinced Rogen to write the film as a vehicle for himself in 2000. Rogen and Goldberg wrote the film, but were unable to get the project produced because studios were uninterested.

After Apatow produced the hit Anchorman, studios were still uninterested.

So, Apatow enlisted Rogen and Goldberg to write The Pineapple Express, a stoner action movie that he felt would be more commercial. After the success of Virgin, Apatow was still unable to sell both Superbad and Pineapple Express; but after he produced the huge hit Talladega Nights, Sony Pictures Entertainment decided to produce both.

At this point, Rogen was unable to play the lead for Superbad. Rogen was cast in a supporting role as a police officer and friend Jonah Hill took his role as a high school student.

Apatow credits Rogen for influencing him to make his work more "outrageously dirty."

In August 2007, Superbad opened at #1 in the box office to critical acclaim, taking in $33 million in its opening weekend.

Industry insiders claimed Apatow was now a brand unto himself, creating movies geared toward older audiences, who would watch his movies even when the films delved into the teen genre.

Apatow is currently writing a screenplay in which Will Ferrell is set to play the child that is born in the cult sex education film, The Miracle of Life. Ferrell's character views the film in elementary school, and upon seeing his mother has to grow up with the stigma of being the child born in "that sex-ed film".

Comment

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Rebecca Eckler and her claims regarding Knocked Up.
                          This Maclean's article is certainly intriguing if you haven't caught it yet.

http://www.macleans.ca/homepage/maga..._106143_106143

speaking of Apatow, interesting email exchange here with Mark Brazill:

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2002/03/0079095

Brazill: "Personally, I feel you've made a career out of being a sycophant to Carrey or Shandling or Roseanne, and when you weren't kissing ass you were stealing from lesser-known comics or leeching off other people's ideas ("Celtic Pride," "Cable Guy"). I noticed how outraged you were to not get a writing credit on "Cable Guy" until it came out and was panned. You dropped that cause like the showbiz weasel you are. You may not think you're a thief, but most comics know otherwise. And again, you know that too. Have you ever read "What Makes Sammy Run"? I think you'd like it. Get cancer."
                          Last edited by beejay; 09-21-2007, 07:07 PM.

Comment

What I don't get is, why have the main characters in Apatow's recent films had so much trouble figuring out how to work a condom? It shouldn't be that complicated, but it was a major plot point in both Knocked Up and Virgin. Does Apatow think this is universal?

Comment

God, Mark Brazill sounds like a raging a**hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X