Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late to Sunshine...

Finally watched Little Miss Sunshine, and didn't read the thread here. So here goes...

It was a cute, SOMETIMES entertaining movie. But Academy Award nom for best picture, and winner of best screenplay? Give me a break.

Re: Late to Sunshine...

I agree. Too damned quirky for its own good. (And for mine.)

Comment

I agree too. I've seen lots of films with that same level of quirk but with far less self-consciousness about it - but most of them don't come out of HW. It felt... contrived. I watched that film knowing I was watching a film, even though it's the kind of film I would ordinarily love.

Trying too hard is how I'd sum it up.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
        I agree too. I've seen lots of films with that same level of quirk but with far less self-consciousness about it - but most of them don't come out of HW. It felt... contrived. I watched that film knowing I was watching a film, even though it's the kind of film I would ordinarily love.

Trying too hard is how I'd sum it up.
        I really wanted to like it a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Landis26 View Post
          I really wanted to like it a lot more.
          Exactly how I felt. When I do take the time to see a film, I go into the cinema with optimism and hope. I really want to like it. I really want to be moved.

Occasionally it happens, but with Little Miss Sunshine - a film I thought was a sure thing for me - I was disappointed. Same with Junebug. Though I thoroughly enjoyed The Squid and The Whale even though I went in with equally high expectations. I love quirk when it seems real and when it blends organically with drama. It's a great combination when the filmaker gets it right.
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

"The Squid and the Whale" at least had recognizable characters in recognizable situations. All of the characters in "Sunshine"--except for the little girl, who was a natural--seemed types instead of rounded characters. The doleful, silent son; the foulmouthed grandfather; the gay uncle; the loser father. I wearied of them very quickly, especially the son. They all seemed to take up space instead of progressing within the dynamism of true character.

Comment

I agree with pretty much everything being said here.

It had it's moments but overall I was underwhelmed.

It was rife with cliches & I could definately see the strings being pulled.

You could call it 'well-crafted', but I expect more creativity & originality from a script given the AA.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I didn't believe for one second the son wanted to be a fighter pilot. He looked wrong. He looked more like a kid who'd want to be in Fallout Boy, than in the cockpit of an F-16.

What were they thinking? Well, then, maybe they weren't.

Comment

Working...
                X