Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halo 3

Sky News is reporting that Microsoft and Bungie Entertainment's long awaited installent in the Halo franchise - Halo 3, has made record sales, as yesterday Americans forked out $170 million in a mere 24 hours. Millions more are set to be made when global gross reports come in.

This can only be good news for Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Neill Blomkamp who are awaiting a renewed interest from Universal and FOX, when studios pulled out at the last minute before the script was approved. Understandably execs were nervous about financing a first time feature film director with such a huge budget, on a such a popular video game franchise, but Blomkamp cut together with WETA, three short films highlighting the potential, and what could be achieved by him as a director.

The three shorts can be found here: http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/09/...s-race-shorts/

TV shorts - http://au.gamespot.com/video/926632/...s-of-the-night
    http://au.gamespot.com/video/926632/...-enemy-weapons
    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 09-28-2007, 07:48 AM.
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: Halo 3

I just got a boner from watching those. It's like sci-fi if it was real, which is a style that actually has never been done in a feature film. Or TV series, come to think of it.

Comment

For a bunch of short films, these fvcking rock. I just hope someone dishes out that $100 million to Jackson and Blomkamp so they can make this a genuine 2009 tentpole blockbuster. Its got all the right ingredients ---

> Humanity fighting off an invading alien race
      > Futuristic warfare
      > Great characters, like Master Chief (and before any of you laugh, take a look at these awesome live action TV spots, highlighting the story http://au.gamespot.com/video/926632/...-enemy-weapons)
      > And did I mention aliens?

Plus the video game itself ain't too shabby either. Here's another TV spot too - http://au.gamespot.com/video/926632/...s-of-the-night
      Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 09-27-2007, 04:52 AM.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

"Halo 3" has officially become the biggest entertainment launch in history.

Comment

uh, maybe with a new story and script.

the one floating around has about as much depth as a bowl of soup.

Comment

Originally posted by Arroway View Post
            uh, maybe with a new story and script.

the one floating around has about as much depth as a bowl of soup.

Never underestimate the depth of a bowl of soup!!!
            Soup can be pretty thick and deep.

(BTW - that draft floating around is a first draft. I'm assuming you mean the Alex Garland version?)
            Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

"Halo 3" has officially become the biggest entertainment launch in history.
              Hardly. Games cost three times as much as a movie ticket so saying "Halo 3" has officially become the biggest entertainment launch in history" isn't remotely accurate. It's a bare faced distortion or lie. You can't compare movies with games - different pricing. Halo 3 is an incredible $59.99 on Amazon. com.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-9UE-.../dp/B000FRU0NU

That's close to six times the price of a movie ticket! No wonder it's made so much money, the game is absurdly expensive. Biggest launch in history? More like the 'most expensive to buy' launch. Anyone comparing movie ticket sales (box office) with game sales is an idiot, not to mention anyone paying 60 dollars for a game is an idiot too. No wonder Bill Gates is so rich when his games cost that much. I reckon just as many people will try and pirate the game as buy it. It's too expensive.
              Last edited by film_fan; 09-28-2007, 03:49 AM.

Comment

give this guy some $$$ and let him make the movie - those shorts were awesome!!!!
                Half a bubble off level... systems normal.

Comment

Originally posted by film_fan View Post
                  Hardly. Games cost three times as much as a movie ticket so saying "Halo 3" has officially become the biggest entertainment launch in history" isn't remotely accurate. It's a bare faced distortion or lie. You can't compare movies with games - different pricing. Halo 3 is an incredible $59.99 on Amazon. com.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-9UE-.../dp/B000FRU0NU

That's close to six times the price of a movie ticket! No wonder it's made so much money, the game is absurdly expensive. Biggest launch in history? More like the 'most expensive to buy' launch. Anyone comparing movie ticket sales (box office) with game sales is an idiot, not to mention anyone paying 60 dollars for a game is an idiot too. No wonder Bill Gates is so rich when his games cost that much. I reckon just as many people will try and pirate the game as buy it. It's too expensive.
                  Actually you're wrong. It is indeed THE biggest entertainment launch in history. Name anything entertainment related that opened with such a huge gross. Sure, games are not the film industry, or the box office, but they do fall under the category of "entertainment". And surely you must realize that this is the reason why Hollywood is milking the games industry for all its worth.

And as far as pricing goes, games have cost that price for years. Nothing new there. You think because a game cost $60.00, it was enough to deter Americans spending $170 million in 24 hours. Don't forget the game is yet to sell in the rest of the free world. So Microsoft are set to make many, many millions more. You think Hollywood won't take notice of that?

And of course the game will be pirated. Everything gets pirated. Movies aren't expensive and guess what?.... they get pirated too!

FYI - The video game industry (on average) earns around three to four times more then Hollywood combined. So in essence, you're saying all these consumers are idiots?

I think its plainly obvious you don't follow the games industry or the movie industry that much.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I paid $60 for the game.

And as soon as I get my wireless router to play on Xbox live, it will be worth every penny.

PS: Me @ CTF = God.

Comment

Biohazard, my gamertag is rkbentley
                      R.K. Bentley
                      My Blog, My Design Studio
                      "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

Historically, film adaptations of video game franchises are tepidly supported by fans at the box office. Microsoft wants such a huge percentage of the gross and the exclusive merchandising rights that the project has very little upside for a studio which also has the most to lose should it turn out to be a 500 million dollar Wing Commander.

If I was the SVP at a studio, I wouldn't touch the Halo project with a ten foot pole.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaKing View Post
                          If I was the SVP at a studio, I wouldn't touch the Halo project with a ten foot pole.
                          Funny, because that still doesn't explain why studios are buying up the film rights for dozens of game franchises. Many lesser known than Halo.
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

As for the game; it's awsome but waaaaay too short.
                            Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                            Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                              As for the game; it's awsome but waaaaay too short.
                              My one buddy beat it in 2 days. I only played it the night I bought it and I'm on level 3, heroic difficulty.

Originally posted by RKBentley View Post
                              Biohazard, my gamertag is rkbentley
                              I'll let you know what mine is probably by tomorrow.

Too bad Sidewinder isn't in the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X