No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst Special Effects

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
    I have to agree with Derek about Gollum. I didn't for a second believe that it was a living breathing creature either. I always thought they had him on screen too long. He was thoroughly annoying.
    Gollum is easily the worst part of the LOTR movies, and I really appreciate Fellowship even more because that lame Serkis cartoon is not in it.

And I agree with the above. I don't hate the Gollum character because of bad FX or CGI, but because it's incredibly annoying. The *thing* just grates on your nerves.

Comment

I love the glimpses of Gollum in the first film. Very mysterious in the shadows.
      "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Okay, its not a film. But the special effects in Smallville seem cheesy at times. Maybe this comes from the TV budget.

Comment

No, untrue. I've no problem with CGI or knowing something is CGI. But when the CGI looks unreal and makes the character feel unreal, I have problems. I appreciate a lot of work went into Gollum, with Andy Serkis (sp?) providing expression and realistic physical movements. But it still wasn't good enough to allow me to willingly suspend my disbelief. Heck, I believed Jar Jar Binks more than I believed Gollum.
          I remember reading a while ago about humans accepting animation/CGI etc more and more as it got closer and closer to reality until it got quite close and then we started to have major problems with it.
          We can accept Simpsons/Family Guy type animation since it's so totaly unrealistic we view them as abstract images, not as people, but once something looks "human" we start to judge it as a person and start finding flaws.
          We've had thousands of years evolution and spent all our lives looking at other peoples faces for inperceptable signs of anger, joy, sorrow etc. No wonder we're good and spotting when something is "wrong".

Hence Jar Jar is more believable than Golum since Jar Jar is clearly not human and you've never met a living Jar Jar to compare wheras Golum is so close to human that you judge him by a far higher standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildgrace View Post
            Maybe this comes from the TV budget.

Obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by zz9 View Post
              I remember reading a while ago about humans accepting animation/CGI etc more and more as it got closer and closer to reality until it got quite close and then we started to have major problems with it.
              We can accept Simpsons/Family Guy type animation since it's so totaly unrealistic we view them as abstract images, not as people, but once something looks "human" we start to judge it as a person and start finding flaws.
              We've had thousands of years evolution and spent all our lives looking at other peoples faces for inperceptable signs of anger, joy, sorrow etc. No wonder we're good and spotting when something is "wrong".

Hence Jar Jar is more believable than Golum since Jar Jar is clearly not human and you've never met a living Jar Jar to compare wheras Golum is so close to human that you judge him by a far higher standard.
              That's the problem I'm starting to have with Pixar... they're getting too good and it just creeped me out with photorealistic rats with human expressions.

Ick. Nothing against rats, but if I flicked on my kitchen light at three in the morning and a big ol' rat with a human face was looking up at me...

... yikes.
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
              X