X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminator 4

... Gets a director.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/10/...ts-a-director/

Ever since the news hit about the Terminator series continuing, it has been rather quiet. Finally an update today comes from James Middleton, a producer on the TV series "The Sarah Connor Chronicles", who is also overseeing the development of Terminator 4. Middleton confirms via IGN that T4 is still happening and aiming to be in pre-production by this October for a 2009 release. The script is being written by Michael Ferris and John D. Brancato, who co-wrote Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, and that no director has been chosen yet.

The film will be titled just Terminator with a subtitle (like "Rise of the Machines"), not with the number 4. This isn't that revealing, except that the marketing strategy they're trying to go with is starting from complete scratch. Given that The Halcyon Company bought the rights entirely last year, it's obvious their strategy is to start from scratch without really continuing what was essentially an unsuccessful Terminator 3.

The story in T4 follows the events of T3 and will be post-apocalyptic including the characters of John Connor and Kate Brewster, the two who survived at the end of the movie. As for whether Nick Stahl and Claire Danes will return, that is dependent on "many factors, including the thoughts of the eventual director and others involved." Middleton also adds that T4 will feature a new hero, explaining "Ben-Hur was influenced by Jesus Christ, but it was his story. Much in that way, this character will be influenced by John Connor." A Jesus Christ reference in the Terminator world? Is that good or bad, I don't know.

The Halcyon Company is still going to produce a complete trilogy of new Terminator films. Right now I will say that I'm excited, but also a bit unsure. I know the general response to Terminator 3 was terrible. I remember going on opening day to a nearly empty 500-seat movie theater, it was a shame, although I ended up liking the movie. I'm curious to see how they bring back the franchise and whether it draws crowds. Are you excited for Terminator 4?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Terminator will be back! News in The Hollywood Reporter today reveals that The Halcyon Company, a newly formed film production company, has acquired the franchise rights to the Terminator series and intends to make a new trilogy that would anchor their movie company (hopefully succesfully). In fact, Terminator 4, aka just T4, is already under development as we speak! There's already a TV show in development, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and now we've got a full trilogy on its way, too, which I hope is good news!

Terminator 4 is going to be based on a script by John Brancato and Michael Ferris (co-writers of Terminator 3), something that came as a deal in the purchase. They plan to immediately begin production on the film, but with Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger or not, we don't know. Although it's still very far out and no distributors have jumped onto it yet (meaning it's still in very early pre-production stage), they're hoping for a release in the first half of 2009, so we've got quite a while to wait and see this form. I'm curious to see where this heads, and whether they'll try and get Arnie back or go down a new route.

How the rights to such a massive franchise got lost in the mix recently, I don't know. Maybe it was the burn out after Terminator 3, especially considering it's hard to follow such an incredibly successful film as Terminator 2 in Hollywood these days. However, I am probably one of the few people who enjoyed Terminator 3's non-stop action entertainment, even though I of course still consider Terminator 2 one of the best sci-fi action movies ever (it was even mentioned here). Let's hope they continue the series on with another fantastic trilogy!
    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 10-04-2007, 07:05 AM.
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: Terminator 4

The only way we will get Arnold back is to amend the constitution so he can run for president. Then he can make it the foundation of his election campaign like he did with number 3.
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Realistically, I'm pretty sure that Schwarzenegger is done with as far as the franchise goes... who's gonna buy a flabby sixty-year-old Terminator?

But then, I'm probably the only person that thinks that they should start from scratch and just remake the first one (I like it, but seriously... if the machines were gonna send back a cybernetic whatchamacallit, wouldn't they send one that doesn't stand out like a sore thumb, saddled with an impenetrable Austrian accent?)

That, and the first one is just too distractingly eighties... not the best decade in filmmaking.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I'm excited... I always thought they needed to really plant a terminator film in the post-apocalyptic world. And I thought T3 did a great job. I mean, it's hard to follow something like T2, which was really great. However, this one did a fairly good job at continuing the series and contecting the pieces and really showing how you can't stop what was coming... which was the biggest factor of the entire series.

Only thing slightly bugging me was when they got an actor that looked nothing like the kid from T2 (forget name), but whatever, not a big deal. I do hope they at least the new kid (Nick Stahl?) back for the new one...

It's a pretty epic concept in general and the thing I like about the Terminator is that while the entire time they could just done a post-apocalyptic world movie, like say "The Matrix," they were able to ground their movies in the pre-apocalyptic world and make an entire trilogy out of just that, lol. So now they definitely got room for yet another trilogy... and hopefully man comes out on top?

Although anyone else think, even if it's grim, that if machine's rose to the top at the end of this new set of trilogies that it's a good way to end?

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          Realistically, I'm pretty sure that Schwarzenegger is done with as far as the franchise goes... who's gonna buy a flabby sixty-year-old Terminator?

But then, I'm probably the only person that thinks that they should start from scratch and just remake the first one (I like it, but seriously... if the machines were gonna send back a cybernetic whatchamacallit, wouldn't they send one that doesn't stand out like a sore thumb, saddled with an impenetrable Austrian accent?)

That, and the first one is just too distractingly eighties... not the best decade in filmmaking.
          It is somewhat distractably 80's, which is why I don't watch it. The second was obviously amazing and the thing about remaking the first is then what? Things would change to make it stronger (hopefully) and you'd end up with a new trilogy coming. Forget that. They made up for it with T2 and T3 did a good job at wrapping it up. Not as good as t3, but it was quality action and definitely entertaining.

Forget Arnold for the new ones. I mean, I'd love to see him in one scene maybe, but it's not a big deal. Mainly because the machines, I assume won't necessarily be human all the time? Unless they are trying to fool the humans, but otherwise, as is shown in T2, they'd just look like machines...

Comment

With T3 being on TV recently, I was again impressed (but not as much as T1 nor T2) with the story and direction. That said, the comedic moments, mostly from Arnie, I still felt didn't serve the tone of the movie well nor go over with me at all.

I say bring on T4 (I could see Arnie in some small cameo role). It'll probably not be in the same league as T1 or T2, but if they hit the stride of T3, then it'll be another fair addition to the family.

Any why can't they bring back Edward Furlong? Last time I saw him, he looked like ****, and would suit the role of someone who's gone thru hell and back (Being chased by killer robots all your life would do that to ya).

EJ

Comment

I think the problem with Furlong wasn't that he was beginning to look like he'd been through the grinder, but that he'd burned his bridges getting there.

Big rule of thumb: don't burn your bridges before you cross them.
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

See, this is what I don't get: The Sarah Conner Chronicles is coming out mid-season.

So, what's canon?

The Television Show which was head or heals better than T3 or the craptacular Movie Franchise? Seriously?

I'd be caring more about this movie if T3 and AVP/AVP 2 hadn't been made.

At least it McG, he seems to have gotten better...
                R.K. Bentley
                My Blog, My Design Studio
                "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

I love T1, and I prefer it to T2 because Cameron had a limited budget, he wrung a well made film from very little money. There's just something about T1 that scares me more than T2 and T3.
                  "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

I've always believed the franchise needs a film that shows the epic battle between man and Skynet, which takes place in the future. One where we see all 3 Terminator models + a new one (as per usual) in action.

An origin Terminator story could be interesting though, if done right. Not too sure about the director that's been chosen for the helm. He does Seem a bit "soft". Its a pity someone with the ability to add scope and pull some studio influence isn't attached. Someone like, oh, I don't know -- Ridley Scott. There was a time when he was interested in something (circa 1998) but he's more interested in trying to out do Ron Howard and Speilberg these days.

As for Arnie, I'm sure he'd give his consent to have his face digitally scanned, so we can see a bunch of CGI T1's walking around. He'd probably see it as a positive spin on his political career.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                      Big rule of thumb: don't burn your bridges before you cross them.
                      Ego mixed with Cocaine and Heroin can easilly do that.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

>>essentially an unsuccessful Terminator 3.<<

Huh? Yes, it made $70 million less than T2, but after all of the backlash and negative hype of not having Cameron directing, I think $435 million is not "unsuccesful". I love the way people twist facts to fit their personal opinion.

I understood the humor in T3 - the film is freakin' bleak! T2 tells us that humans control their own destiny - that we can stop the war between man and machine. T3 tells us that humans are screw ups who will start the war no matter what - we are doomed. It ends with mankind being nuked. This is much darker than T2 - and not exactly what you expect from a big summer movie. So a couple of jokes were probably required to prevent mass suicides.

I want to see the human / robot war we saw pieces of in the first film (and the second).

Oh, and John Conners (JC) has always been the savior of mankind. The first film made him Christ with disciples... like Reese.

(now that I type that, I'm sure Michael Biehn will walk into Starbucks - he always seems to walk in when someone mentions his name.)

I also think TERMINATOR is the best of the 3 - we can't trust machines. We just can't.

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

The people that knew who directed T1&T2 were a small percentage of the audience. The percentage of those who would not see T3 because it was directed by someone other than Cameron is a microscopic fraction of the audience and hardly account for the lackluster box office.

The movie was bleak.
                          The characters were unengaging.
                          Worst of all, it screwed with the established themes and conventions of the first two. As Bill pointed out, the3 first two said "There is no fate but what we make". The third movie said "Fate is unavoidable so don't bother fighting it".

That's why it did considerably less box office than the previous efforts.

Comment

Except it didn't do "considerably less". It did a fraction less. It made $435 million.

- Bill
                            Free Script Tips:
                            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by crustygibblet
                              The third one was much better than T2 and T1, the best of the series, Cameron or no Cameron.

I think "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" is definitely the worst film out of the first three installments. Mediocre, uninspired and the worst culprit being the cheese factor being raised significantly high by the end credits. Regardless of how well "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" does on the TV side, I'm not that interested in seeing yet another sequel unless they do something completely unexpected or particularly interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X