Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shameless Self Promotion

I saw it last week and really dug it. Like most people, it was one of those I wanted to see in theaters but never had a chance to.

Hope it finds a much bigger audience on DVD, Will! Sorry I didn't have a chance to check out your commentary before I needed to return the disc.

Fascinating that your script got to screen unmolested. I guess this is what becomes of a post-Harvey Miramax?

Comment

Hey, Will -- is this really Clifford's review on Netflix?

Will/Tao, just watched HOAX and you did a great job. I was reading the Netflix reviews and saw the following -- claimed to be written by Clifford Irving. Is this a hoax? What do you make of it? Again, great work. You should be very proud. Thanks in advance for your response.

Member Reviews

http://cdn.nflximg.com/us/ProfileImages/11.jpg
      CI 1134140
      76%
      Similar To You

CI 1134140's other reviews >
      http://cdn-0.nflximg.com/us/pages/wi...tars_14_20.gif

written by the subject of the movie: Many people have said that the take-home message of the movie, "The Hoax," is: "Clifford Irving forced the resignation of President Richard Nixon and brought down a corrupt White House." I want to thank Woodward and Bernstein for helping me in that mission. Now I'm working on a plan to do the same for the current administration. I was hired by the producers as technical adviser to the movie, but after reading the final script I asked that my name be removed from the movie credits. I didn't want anyone to believe that I had contributed to such a historically cockeyed story where the main character, almost by coincidence, happens to bear my name. It's hard to believe that sophisticated Manhattan publishers would fall for the nonsense this guy spouts in order to convince them that the moon is made of Stilton cheese. As played by Richard Gere - an actor I admire - Movie Clifford is desperate and humorless, a washed-up hack writer who lives in a conservative New York suburb. He has the energy of a not-too-bright psychopath. If I were that man, I'd shoot myself. The movie misses the point that the Howard Hughes hoax was a live-action adventure story concocted by two middle-aged hippie expat writers and a Swiss heiress. Edith, my then-wife, a woman of great zest, is portrayed as a dull hausfrau; and Nina van Pallandt, my Danish mistress, as barely one level above a New York hotel hooker. Dick Suskind, witty friend and co-conspirator, is offered to the public as a self-righteous, sweaty buffoon. The scenes that deal with Movie Clifford feuding with Movie Dick, getting him drunk and hiring a bargirl to seduce him, are totally fictional. The Hughes people mailing the package of files to me is also made up. The movie is best thought of as a hoax.

37 out of 61 people found this review helpful.

Comment

I seen it, too, Tao. Though this is the type of movie I wouldn't normally rent, I dug it! I love Dick!!!!

Corona
        I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
        I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Unfortunately this was in and out of the theatre before I could see it (though you are in good company this year Tao, with all the quality films being stillborn at the BO) but I enjoyed running through it twice on dvd and catching the commentary. What I would like to know though, is whether the comedic touches in the film (like the bowling shoes) were in the book or Tao’s invention. In any case, well done.

There is something really appealing to me about fraud on a grand scale, in the sense that it is usually a byproduct of unfulfilled ambition and pure moxie, and that even the ones who fail at it (Frank Abagnale, Cliff Irving) find themselves rewarded for their efforts in the end (by becoming bigger celebrities for their transgressions than they ever would have been on talent alone).

Also, there is a really crazy dynamic that exists right now in media, thanks in part to people like James Frey and Michael Moore, where people have a hard time differentiating between fiction and non-fiction, and fact and entertainment.

For example, The Independent Weekly newspaper took The Hoax to task for inventing details like the aborted rooftop helicopter landing (which never happened) and for transplanting most of the story action to Manhattan (Irving was actually in Spain) as if the film were supposed to be a documentary. What film critic doesn’t understand such basic concepts as compressing characters and events for story economy and creating visually interesting dialogue scenes? The reviewer should be embarrassed.

On the plus side, AO Scott loves Tao. I think I would die happy with one good review from the Times.

Comment

My dad wanted to see this film, but never got the chance to see it while it was showing.

We're going out tomorrow, so I'll surprise him with the dvd.
            Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Working...
            X