Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen King on Our History of Violence

In short: he doesn't know why it's appealing but he's certain it will continue to be.

Re: Stephen King on Our History of Violence

Huh... roughly eight hundred words without really saying anything. Ol' Steve-o must be hanging out with Anne Rice these days
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

King has rather had a handle on that himself for quite some time.

Comment

Most people, when they start eyeballing the other side of 60 years old (as King is) lose there taste for violent images. My own father, who lived for Die Hards and Clint Eastwood movies, wouldn’t watch anything but musicals and comedies after he was diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Add to that the fact that King feels indirectly responsible for a number of school shootings (ironic there’s another one going on right now) and withdrew his early novel Rage from publication.

I still love him.

I always thought it was ironic that Stanley Kubrick changed the hammer in The Shining to an axe to make the film more violent, and Rob Reiner changed the axe in Misery to a hammer to make it less violent.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          Huh... roughly eight hundred words without really saying anything. Ol' Steve-o must be hanging out with Anne Rice these days

He was probably doing someone a favor.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
            I still love him.

I always thought it was ironic that Stanley Kubrick changed the hammer in The Shining to an axe to make the film more violent, and Rob Reiner changed the axe in Misery to a hammer to make it less violent.

He's the greatest fiction writer of the modern era. No one is even remotely close to being on his level. King is indeed a living legend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
              He's the greatest fiction writer of the modern era. No one is even remotely close to being on his level. King is indeed a living legend.
              Most popular? Yes. Greatest? Um, no. That would be Don Delillo.
              I'm like an opening band for the sun.
              -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                Hate to do it to you, Adam, but this is based on your extensive reading of the works of most of the major fiction writers of, say, the past thirty years?

Because I think what you're really saying is that you like him a lot. Take it from me (and I'm a pretty well-read guy), he's nowhere close to being the best. Not by a long shot.

But if you like him, that's fine. One's man meat is another man's poison.

Comment

Working...
                X