No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sideways

Originally posted by Ire
    In regards to the movie, I don't know what you were expecting. It's not conventional.
    I expected to care what happened to the main characters. If you haven't got that, there's really no way a movie can work for you.

With regard to your spoiler...yes, granted, but the payoff was too little and far too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Ire
      subtext in the last couple of years...
      Is it good subtext if you immediately and clearly understand what someone is talking about?

To me it was a great great scene, but right on the nose. If you didn't know what he was talking about with that speech, then...then...then something! So there!

But I don't care for subtext so maybe I don't get it.

Thank you.
      WHT7
      "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
      Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

Originally posted by AaronB
        I expected to care what happened to the main characters. If you haven't got that, there's really no way a movie can work for you.

With regard to your spoiler...yes, granted, but the payoff was too little and far too late.
        AB,

I don't know what your empathy level is, but Giamatti's character had mine.

BT,

Good question. I don't know. It was on the cusp. It worked for me.
        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I'm glad someone revived this thread. I'm always facinated when someone expresses a dislike for a film or a television show because they don't find the protagonist likeable.

I have been having this conversation a lot lately, because of the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I used to try and explain the universal appeal of the humor in spite of the unlikeable character to people who say they hate Larry David, now I just nod and change the subject.

But I have narrowed it down to two possibilities, and you should regard this as an opinion, as I do not have a degree in clinical psychology.

1- People only enjoy films with 'likeable' protagonists because they are somehow trying to have a vicarious friendship with the characters. Sounds crazy to me.....but there are a lot of lonely people out there.

2- People who hate protagonists who are jerks are themselves jerks and are put off at being reminded of the things they hate about themselves. The same way fat people are the first to point out that someone else has gained weight. (this is probably very close to what AO Scott and other critics were experiencing).

But to me, there is no more compelling human drama than self destruction. Why we insist on empathizing with alcoholics (Leaving Las Vegas) or insubordinates (One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest) or manic depressives or over-eaters, etc etc , but somehow think that characters like Miles in Sideways have a choice in being who they are is puzzling.

Anyway, since there is no baseball tonight, I am going to watch this gem again.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy
            But I have narrowed it down to two possibilities...
            Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now all I have to do is decide whether I'm more pathetically lonely, or simply a jerk. The answer will tell me which of your diagnoses applies to myself.

Well, at least I have a puzzle now to while away the time...

Comment

But to me, there is no more compelling human drama than self destruction. Why we insist on empathizing with alcoholics (Leaving Las Vegas) or insubordinates (One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest) or manic depressives or over-eaters, etc etc , but somehow think that characters like Miles in Sideways have a choice in being who they are is puzzling.
              Inspiring paragraph, kit. Particularly the last bit. Self destruction is indeed a subject rife with drama ... Shakespeare himself loved it. Miles was a beautifully drawn (and performed) character.
              Anyway, since there is no baseball tonight, I am going to watch this gem again.
              Since I saw it 5x in the theater, I don't think I need to buy the DVD anytime soon. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy.
              http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Finally saw this, on the whole I liked it. I'd attack it with the editing scissors in places but on the whole it was a enjoyable enough in that quirky kind of way.

Comment

I'm glad someone revived this thread. I'm always facinated when someone expresses a dislike for a film or a television show because they don't find the protagonist likeable.

I have been having this conversation a lot lately, because of the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I used to try and explain the universal appeal of the humor in spite of the unlikeable character to people who say they hate Larry David, now I just nod and change the subject.

But I have narrowed it down to two possibilities, and you should regard this as an opinion, as I do not have a degree in clinical psychology.

1- People only enjoy films with 'likeable' protagonists because they are somehow trying to have a vicarious friendship with the characters. Sounds crazy to me.....but there are a lot of lonely people out there.

2- People who hate protagonists who are jerks are themselves jerks and are put off at being reminded of the things they hate about themselves. The same way fat people are the first to point out that someone else has gained weight. (this is probably very close to what AO Scott and other critics were experiencing).

I'm glad you brought this up Kinter...although I think your theories don't hold up.

Miles is usually disliked by some for one of two reasons:
                  1. He's whiny/a complainer.
                  2. He steals money from his mother.
                  Both of these are really two completely different reasons for disliking the character. They don't exactly go hand in hand.

IMO, I don't think there's any correlation between the kind of people you think hate the character and their reasons for doing so. I especially disagree with the notion that jerks hate watching other jerks on screen.

Comment

Miles was simply a fully drawn character, showing all sides of him. I guess people get shocked when a character is actually human because they're so used to seeing one-dimensional characters in all the "other" movies.

So he took money from his mother. Not admirable, but I guess that was the point.

Comment

Pencey's just sore, because his mother caught him when he lifted that tenner from her wallet.
                      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by miles
                        Miles was simply a fully drawn character, showing all sides of him. I guess people get shocked when a character is actually human because they're so used to seeing one-dimensional characters in all the "other" movies.

So he took money from his mother. Not admirable, but I guess that was the point.

i dont blame you for relating w/ him, miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld
                          i dont blame you for relating w/ him, miles.
                          But I would have been trying to get laid like Jack, Qaz.
                          Last edited by miles; 05-15-2006, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X