Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Into The Wild

I saw this yesterday. Wasn't planning on it either, I was just too late for something else. I really liked it much more than I thought, especially since 1.) it's not so much a story as it is a travelogue and 2.) we know how it ends.

It is amazingly beautiful to look at, and has one or two great performances. If Hal Holbrook's role lasted more than 10 minutes, he might be looking at his first Oscar nom.

Really really haunting and sad. It proves that some people (S. Penn) can be a**holes and still make beautiful things.

Re: Into The Wild

I'm looking forward to this one, almost entirely because of the soundtrak. That's probably very wrong, but it's as valid as basing it on a poster, I guess.

Anyone else seen it yet?
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Comment

Most of the reviews I have read have complained about Eddie Vedder's soundtrack as being overbearing, but I really didn't find it annoying at all. Much of the film is dialogue-free, so it fills things in. It helps if you don't hate Eddie.

Comment

This film was a HUGE disappointment. I can't remember a film I was looking forward to that let me down so completely.

First of all, it's a journey. So tell the damned story chronologically! The dialogue keeps emphasizing how Alaska is the goal -- so why do we start there? I have nothing against non-linear narrative, but there must be a good reason for it, something which serves the movie as a whole. In this case, it kills the anticipation as well as the dramatic arc.

Second, the film plays episodically instead of with a rising throughline that builds emotional involvement. I never know where I am or where I'm going. We never see a map. One minute we're in Colorado, the next in Mexico, then LA -- it's practically random.

Third, there are so many pointless narrative devices. The sister as narrator, postcards from nowhere, the journal, monologue, irrelevant chapter breaks. Make up your damned mind!

Fourth, enough of the self-indulgence! Do we really need a flash of Bush I as a prelude to Kuwait? And on and on and on.

I went in believing I'd LOVE this movie. I walked out hating it. I feel cheated. I still want the movie. I'm just going to have to rewrite it in my head to get it.

Bummer!!!
        I'm like an opening band for the sun.
        -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

I'm glad I haven't succumbed to the technical aspects of the craft so much that this film couldn't move me.

Penn, man that he is, broke all the rules with this one - and the payoff was more than I could imagine.

I finished watching this an hour ago, and I can still feel it in my chest.

Beautiful.

Comment

I saw it yesterday and ended up loving it -- even though I admit it dragged in spots. But it's definitely a story that sticks with you, with amazing direction and cinematography. Kudos to Sean Penn.

Comment

Very good but hardly as great as the citics made it out to be. An outrage Emile wasn't nominated. Kid carried the whole damn film and instilled a lot of pathos in a character that the audience could have easily not cared for if it hadn't been played juuuuust right....

Comment

On my 'To See Soon' list for sure.
                sigpic

Comment

Man, this is such a beautiful movie. I don't often rewatch stuff anymore, especially movies that are only 3 years old. Too many movies I haven't seen. But I'm glad I picked it up on Blu Ray and gave it a spin just now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                    Man, this is such a beautiful movie. I don't often rewatch stuff anymore, especially movies that are only 3 years old. Too many movies I haven't seen. But I'm glad I picked it up on Blu Ray and gave it a spin just now.
                    Into The Wild is one of my favorites. It's a simple story but makes you reflect about so many aspects of your own life.

I've been meaning to read the book it's based on but I'm behind on my reading.

Comment

A dumb suburban kid gets himself killed - very romantic.
                      Frustrated? Click here for help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

Originally posted by Mycroftbrett View Post
                        A dumb suburban kid gets himself killed - very romantic.
                        Well, that's a pretty simple way of looking at a pretty complex film.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                          Well, that's a pretty simple way of looking at a pretty complex film.
                          I was commenting more on what is known about McCandless. The film...there was barely enough factual information about "Supertramp" to write an article let alone make a feature. The fictional relationships, homoerotic slow-mo shower scene, "aritstic license", unnessesary lenght did nothing to redeem the story - for me anyway. I think Grizzly Man is a far better telling of the same tale.
                          Frustrated? Click here for help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

Originally posted by Mycroftbrett View Post
                            I was commenting more on what is known about McCandless. The film...there was barely enough factual information about "Supertramp" to write an article let alone make a feature. The fictional relationships, homoerotic slow-mo shower scene, "aritstic license", unnessesary lenght did nothing to redeem the story - for me anyway. I think Grizzly Man is a far better telling of the same tale.
                            Got it. Too gay for you.

Comment

I'm glad I live in a world where both GRIZZLY MAN and INTO THE WILD are great films.

Comment

Working...
                              X