No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Untraceable" Trailer

Originally posted by pwrmyth View Post
    This seems to take one of the things that bugged me about the last Die Hard and builds the whole movie around it. I just fell through the floor when techies would turn on their computer and download a virus that would blow up the whole building. I'm like -- what kind of explosive materials can you DOWNLOAD? Die Hard used to be all about credibility... but I digress.

I didn't think they so much "downloaded" explosive materials but instead triggered already set up explosions? I guess I must have missed that in between John McClane becoming a full-blown superhero.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
      I didn't think they so much "downloaded" explosive materials but instead triggered already set up explosions? I guess I must have missed that in between John McClane becoming a full-blown superhero.
      It never was explained very well. But neither was taking down an F-15 from a diesel truck. Yeah, better than the orginal. Mmm hmm.
      I'm like an opening band for the sun.
      -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

Originally posted by pwrmyth View Post
        It never was explained very well. But neither was taking down an F-15 from a diesel truck. Yeah, better than the orginal. Mmm hmm.

I know Mr. Willis would disagree but I think the third installment in the series was better. I do give it points for a few nicely-set-up largely practical stunts, though.

Comment

Originally posted by velysai View Post
          OMG, they set up the website. http://www.killwithme.com/ That is so creepy!
          Great website, and it does lend some credibility to the concept. But I still feel its a little far-fetched.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
            Great website, and it does lend some credibility to the concept. But I still feel its a little far-fetched.

Actually, I just thought of how simple and actually possible the concept is (if this is actually what is going on): the more hits the website gets, the more mayhem the killer unleashes.

That makes sense, at least.

Comment

A lot of you are questioning the plausibility of this concept... When you guys write stuff like Vampires and Zombies as your chosen genre?
              Last edited by WritersBlock2010; 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM.
              Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                A lot of you are questioning the plausibility of this concept... When you guys write stuff like Vampires and Zombies as your chosen genre?
                I'll be the first to admit, Zombies, vampires etc are silly to a degree, but horror films can get away with being ludicrous because we already know that stuff is BS.

Plus I'm not claming the film will not be enjoyable....Hang on, Vampires aren't real? Get the fvck outta here.
                Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 12-03-2007, 04:56 PM.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

It's high concept, has a great hook, and no one will care a wit whether or not it is really possible or plausible. Bravo to the writer for finding the holy grail - high concept thriller that seems somewhat new. Yeah, you can say it's like x or it's like y, but the answer is SAME BUT DIFFERENT, which is what we're looking for. Or at least I am. And on top, can be made for a dollar and a half.

I'll be honest, I'm jealous. I tried to develop a thriller involving a computer, and I just couldn't get past the comparisons to that dated Sandra Bullock movie, The Net. This guy/gal did it.

Way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by seh View Post
                    It's high concept, has a great hook, and no one will care a wit whether or not it is really possible or plausible. Bravo to the writer for finding the holy grail - high concept thriller that seems somewhat new. Yeah, you can say it's like x or it's like y, but the answer is SAME BUT DIFFERENT, which is what we're looking for. Or at least I am. And on top, can be made for a dollar and a half.

I'll be honest, I'm jealous. I tried to develop a thriller involving a computer, and I just couldn't get past the comparisons to that dated Sandra Bullock movie, The Net. This guy/gal did it.

Way to go.
                    I thought all hope was lost here until I read this post

What Seh said is exactly how everyone here who is serious about breaking in as a screenwriter should evaluate every single project that gets made.

It doesn't mean you have to enjoy it once you see it, or if it is a hit or failure at the box-office. It doesn't mean you can't have an opinion about it strictly as a fan of movies. You just have to be able to look at it the way Seh did... And I did when I said it is text-book high concept... And learn from it.

This is also why I asked for the script and one of DD''s fine members was kind enough to send it to me. I want to see how the writer executed it before it was rewritten and put into production because they are now a professional screenwriter in every sense of the word...

And isn't that what most of you here want to be?

Here endth the lesson
                    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Yeah... but it's still just a serial killer movie. Although this one is of the make-things-more-difficult-than-they-need-to-be variety.

Like with zombies and vampires, you really can't go high concept with the subgenres, no matter how much glitter you throw on them.

They still are what they are.
                      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

i stopped watching the trailer halfway. this seems like an old episode of law and order. specifically the episode where they were tracking down an online pedifile and a couple others.
                        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Must have been nice to have that option... I saw the trailer for this and The Poughkeepsie Tapes before The Mist.

The former was irritating enough, but the latter (a Blair Witch-style serial killer wankfest) was infuriating.
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                            I thought all hope was lost here until I read this post

What Seh said is exactly how everyone here who is serious about breaking in as a screenwriter should evaluate every single project that gets made.

It doesn't mean you have to enjoy it once you see it, or if it is a hit or failure at the box-office. It doesn't mean you can't have an opinion about it strictly as a fan of movies. You just have to be able to look at it the way Seh did... And I did when I said it is text-book high concept... And learn from it.

This is also why I asked for the script and one of DD''s fine members was kind enough to send it to me. I want to see how the writer executed it before it was rewritten and put into production because they are now a professional screenwriter in every sense of the word...

And isn't that what most of you here want to be?

Here endth the lesson
                            I totally understand where you and Seh are coming from - and believe me, I evaluate just about every new thriller idea that I hear about or read script wise. And as you know the scripts are usually better then the films anyway because you're reading it prior to studio interference.

But I don't care how 'high concept" the idea might play itself as - it still seems gimmicky. However, I'll give the writers credit for getting the damn thing sold, which is a lot more then I can boast. And I will go see it. But I can't see this elevating itself above the ludicrous notion - which is also happens to be the hook.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                              But I can't see this elevating itself above the ludicrous notion - which is also happens to be the hook.

Terrance, this would make it less ludicrous though, no?

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                                Terrance, this would make it less ludicrous though, no?
                                What I want to know is - how the fvck does more hits to the site kill the victims faster? What, is the guy's heart hooked up to a modem or something?
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X